jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Typing uppercase letters and correcting (recognize S-BS as BS)
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 9 July, 2004 - 10:58
One often needs to enter a uppercase word in TEXT.
For let's say 20 chars you don't touch caps-lock and do it via shift.
However if one does a typo, it's usual or simple to use Shift-BS to correct that.

Shift-BS is not recognized as Backspace. This would be nice.
A Search function for Recent files (like Search History in Mozilla)
Submitted by paulflory on Thursday, 8 July, 2004 - 05:29
I hereforth propose that there be-eth a way to search recently open'd files.

Oftentimes we open and close files and afterwards wastefully rummage through our
memories and Recent Files lists to recall from whence those files came.

This post requests that recently opened files be searchable, as are visited URLs in web browsers; for example, Ctl-H in Mozilla or IE.

To further burnish the feature, throw in a way to view the dates/timestamps the files were visited. This way Jack can think/do: "Hmm.. I opened file 'earwig.xml' yesterday" then scroll to the files from yesterday and conveniently open earwig without taxing his brain.

Thanks,
Paul
show latest news on the jEdit homepage
Submitted by paulflory on Thursday, 8 July, 2004 - 05:13
The new homepage's look n feel out-rocks the previous one.

One peeve though - I liked seeing the latest news on the splash page.

Like when new dot releases are announced.

Could we have that back?

-Paul
Doc type autocomplete
Submitted by smsm1 on Wednesday, 7 July, 2004 - 21:59
The tag autocomplete feature for PHP and HTML is great.
One thing though! Completion of valid DOCTYPES would be good.

JEdit is a fantastic program, just what I have been looking for!
ErrorList keyboard focus in textArea
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 6 July, 2004 - 13:05
Hello.

I use jEdit as an IDE compiling source files and showing errors in the ErrorList plugin, and it works just great. When I click on an error in the ErrorList plugin's window then the text containing the error is selected in the view.textArea, just perfect!

I'd really like the keyboard focus go to the textArea immediately after clicking on the ErrorList error, so that I can just start typing to correct the error.

I mean I don't want to have to click in the view.textArea, because clicking in the textArea changes the selection.

Is there an option for this that I've missed?

I'm using jEdit 4.1 final, ErrorList 1.3.2
Single point of entry for all options
Submitted by mak on Thursday, 1 July, 2004 - 10:17
Please integrate the plugin options into the global options window as it was in jEdit 4.1. The plugin help is still part of the global help - so why aren't the plugin options part of the global options anymore?

In jEdit 4.1 you didn't have to think about which option you want to edit - you just opened the option window and did your changes. But in jEdit 4.2 there is no more single point of entry - you have to know where to go to before you can change the settings Sad
-settings with relative path names
Submitted by mirko on Thursday, 1 July, 2004 - 09:15
I use Jedit on an external Harddisk, which I use
at work, at customers and at home. It would be nice, if
I could define the -settings propery as follows:

-settings=./.jedit

which wuld put the jedit settings in a directory named
.jedit under the same directory as jedit.jar is located.
At the moment this is not possible. Every relative path is
resolved as relative to the user home (for example c:\dokument and settings\
[username]\.jedit).

If that is not possible, it would be nice, if jedit had a variable, containing its own directory, so that on could type:

-settings=${jedithome}\.jedit

Yes, I know, it is possible to specifie "%CD%" to get the
jedit.jar path on a windows command line. But as I use the
jsmooth (http://jsmooth.sf.net) executable jar wrapper to
get a better integration of jedit with the windws os, this
is not possible.
option to disable "Files Changed on Disk" dialog - add icon to buffer tabs instead
Submitted by paulflory on Tuesday, 29 June, 2004 - 15:13
I often use jEdit to effectively "tail" log files that are active and changing periodically while editing other files.

Unfortunately, the dialog "Files Changed on Disk" pops open repeatedly and has become an annoyance, although the information is certainly helpful.

It would be wonderful if there was an option to disable this dialog.

Furthermore, it would be even better if we had an appropriate icon appear on the respective buffer tab indicating that the file changed. That way we could see at a glance which files have changed on disk and continue editing files at the same time.

Anyone else second this request? Alternatives?

Thanks,
Paul
Make line comment command act as a toggle.
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 09:24
I modified the JEditTextArea.lineComment method to insert a comment at the very beginning of the selected line(s) if the line(s) didn't already begin with a comment. The comment is removed if it is already there. This allows the "line comment" command to act as a toggle - commenting out uncommented lines, uncommenting lines already commented.

Would this be a useful feature?

Code from JEditTextArea.java (JEdit 4.1 final), beginning at line 4119:

String text = getLineText(lines[i]);
// Toggle comments at beginning of line, add if not there, remove if there.
if (text.startsWith(comment)) {
buffer.remove(getLineStartOffset(lines[i]), comment.length());
}
else {
buffer.insert(getLineStartOffset(lines[i]), comment);
}
// buffer.insert(getLineStartOffset(lines[i]),
// + MiscUtilities.getLeadingWhiteSpace(text),
// comment);
Custom format for clock in status bar?
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 11:22
The clock in the status bar of jEdit currently shows the time in 12hr-mode. There should be a configuration dialog to select the desired time-format. Or just an editbox to enter the format pattern.
SWT 3
Submitted by moon.god on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 07:51
Are there any attempts to build a jEdit Version using SWT3? Eclipse' GUI looks and feels far more consistent than jEdit's and even appears to be somewhat faster. Since jEdit appears to be pretty complete and feature rich, I think there is nothing else jEdit would profit more from atm than changing the editors interface to a more accommodative one.
More flexible toolbar
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 21 June, 2004 - 18:16
Using Jeditsince a long time I find it's time that the toobar becomes more flexible:
-actually having a big number of customized buttons, a dozen for java, a dozen for c, a dozen for
cpp, a dozen for assembly, and some miscellaneous stuff like starting objdump and readelf or
starting gdb from within jedit and others, now the toolbar is becomimg full, and new added buttons
don't appear on it more.Now it would be nice if the toolbar could be extensible ,floatable, and
it can remember its coordinates for the next session.thanks.
salme
Improve InfoView plugin to have External browser as Internal mini browser inside infoView tab + add server mappings
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 18 June, 2004 - 21:29
It would be great to make External Browser instance (IE) working instead of Internal (inside InfoView tab). Just that mini browser works really poor with complex pages and it would be really helpful to have IE instead of it - just like Homsite have (Browse tab or F12 key). Also would be cool to have server mappings.

Best Regards!

Dmitry
Vertical toolbar, rather than horizontal.
Submitted by kelly leahy on Friday, 11 June, 2004 - 21:49
I've modified the code on my local version of jEdit to put the toolbar on the LHS of the screen, rather than on the top of the screen. This saves me a lot of space since I use a laptop with a 14" monitor. It would be nice if we could get this as a normal feature of jEdit (so I don't have to keep modifying the code to support it). I'd be happy to provide my code, though it is really just a hack, and I don't recommend using it as is.

It seems to me that a method could be added to the class for a toolbar that identifies whether the toolbar supports vertical orientation or not. Then, when toolbars are loaded, they could be put on the left or on the top by a global option. Alternatively, it might be nice for each toolbar to choose on its own (via the "Global Options" pages) where it should appear.

Anyway, that's my request...

Kelly
Filesystem browser slow over network -- need alternate plugin, "SlowOpen"
Submitted by tazk on Friday, 11 June, 2004 - 11:10
(I'm using jEdit 4.2 pre14 on the Windows platform)

I can see that a lot of thought and work has been put in to improve the Filesystem browser in jEdit 4.2. I like the new interface. In 4.1, I used to often get an error popup when I typed a directory name in the filename field. I don't get run into that problem with 4.2. However...

One thing I liked about the Filesystem browser in 4.1 is that it worked well over slow networks. Because it did not have filename completion, I was able to type ahead in the filename field and open a file without waiting for a DIR I/O operation to complete. This is important since I often work from home accessing my files through a "NET USE" over a VPN. It can take, literally, seconds for jEdit to populate the File System Browser windows of my remote directories. I want to be able to enter "source/abc/def/ghi/Main.java", for instance, or "../tests/TestClass.java" and quickly open a file when I know the exact filename. Even when I'm at work on an enterprise-quality LAN, identifying remote files to open can be overly slow with jEdit 4.2. The jEdit 4.2 File System Browser works well for local files but it can be a stumbling block for remote. I've even gotten to the point where sometimes I open a Command Prompt and type jedit on the command line with the full pathname, rather than go through the File System Browser.

When I save a file, jEdit 4.2 also goes through a cycle with an awkward wait time. When I hit Control-S to save a file, jEdit goes into a mode where it beeps if I try to make new edits to files, it then enters its save, prints a message on the screen (like "1 I/O in progress"), begins to save the file and lets me type. Perhaps jEdit is doing something with its "~" file during the beep period. Over slow networks, the beep period can take several seconds.

Searching for text within a large file on a remote drive can also be slow. It appears that sometimes jEdit goes to disk during a Search->File operation on the current buffer.

So I wish that jEdit would work better on slow networks. I see that there's a plugin called "FastOpen". Perhaps we also need a plug-in called "SlowOpen". And I think improvements could be made in other areas to support remote-file work.

Thanks.
Convert EOL to Wrap and Wrap to EOL
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 8 June, 2004 - 10:51
http://www.pspad.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=2784&t=2784

With user control over EOL chars, and display.
Option to lock file for write when editing
Submitted by happy on Friday, 4 June, 2004 - 15:29
If this optional setting is enabled, jedit should lock the file opened for write, so others can not modify that file.
This is a useful setting in editors, and missing from jedit Sad
Editing XML tag values validated by XML Schema
Submitted by lastguru on Thursday, 3 June, 2004 - 21:00
It would be good if Jedit could use the enumerated values (eg., boolean type or string enumeration) in XML tag editor. The same is working for DTD with dropdown lists.
-settings flag re-definition
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 28 May, 2004 - 04:24
hiya,

I use jEdit everyday for school homework (.txt files), and also school programming assignments (.java, .c, .h, .html, .sh ...the list goes on...) as I am a CSC major.

I solely use jEdit off of my Creative Muvo flash drive under Linux and MS boxes at school and at home. While under MS boxes I run jEdit from a custom batch file I have written that sets up Doskeys to various Java applications stored on the flash stick and sets up drive paths and parameters for say the command "jedit" to be invoked as follows from any computer with my custom (windows) enviroment variable "MPATH" giving the path of the device (eg "g:"):

I invoke jedit typically with the following doskey (or command in shell):
set MPATH=g:
set JDIR=%MPATH%\files\japps
rem set the plastic l&f in the Java VM boot path.
set PLF=-Xbootclasspath/a:%JDIR%\jedit\jars\plastic-1.2.1.jar
set CNFG=-settings=%JDIR%\jedit\settings
set NSS=-nostartupscripts
set SOPTS=-Xms8m -Xmx16m
set LOPTS=-Xms8m -Xmx64m
doskey jedit = java %PLF% %LOPTS% -jar %JDIR%\jedit\jedit.jar %CNFG%

...I have alot of Java applications configured the way I want them to look, and with various runtime parameters enabled to suit my liking...

I hope that the command line option for specifying a different settings directory for jEdit could be modified as it is (I believe) incompatible with MS Win9x (and WinME). "-settings=" is not allowed in a batch file (pretty sure) or command line parameter under win9x because of the "=". A specific example is I cannot legally put the line: set CNFG=-settings=%JDIR%\jedit\settings, into a win9x batch file due to the double usage of "=".

Can this command line specification be changed to reflect more usual conventions used in Java application arguements? eg. java -classpath , or perhaps even jedit.jar -settings:

Under jEdit "Compatability" page, it should work under windows, but obvisiously this is not necessarily 100% true. I hope my bringing this issue up helps bring jEdit one step closer to be an even better application.......and yes, while also making my life easier.

David Gurba, email: blue_technx@yahoo.com
show ASCII-Value of character at current cursor position
Submitted by uhuebner on Monday, 24 May, 2004 - 11:35
Is it possible to show the ASCII-Value of the character at the current cursor position? I often have special control characters in the files I edit. And I need a quick way to see what characters that are. I'm no programmer but it doesn't sound too complicate to do.

Kind regards
uhuebner
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281