jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Pressing '>' reports 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' error
Submitted by ironsidevsquincy on Thursday, 9 August, 2007 - 10:34
recently I've been getting a weird error message whenever I press '>' (i.e. shift and /)...

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.getBuffer()Lorg/gjt/sp/jedit/Buffer;
at xml.XmlPlugin.isDelegated(Unknown Source)
at xml.XmlActions.insertClosingTagKeyTyped(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:98)
at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:874)
at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)
at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)
at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:509)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:76)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:416)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:382)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DefaultInputHandler.handleKey(DefaultInputHandler.java:373)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.input.AbstractInputHandler.processKeyEventKeyStrokeHandling(AbstractInputHandler.java:116)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.processKeyEvent(InputHandler.java:163)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.processKeyEvent(TextArea.java:4591)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5815)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2058)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4410)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2116)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4240)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1848)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:697)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:962)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:834)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:661)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4282)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2429)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:599)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)

Everything works fine though, the angle bracket is ouputted, so the error is more of an annoyance then anything, but it is really annoying. Anybody have any ideas?

Darren
Matching end-of-line with $
Submitted by JasonHeiser on Tuesday, 7 August, 2007 - 19:51
This has been broken (at least for me) since 4.3pre8 or so. I was hoping that 4.3pre10 would fix it, but I'm disappointed to discover that I still can't use $ to match the end of a line. Since first encountering this problem, I've been matching on newline characters. It's not perfect; for instance, it doesn't work on the last line in a file. Is there a better workaround or fix I can try?

Jason Heiser
Catastrophic data loss due to jedit silently failing to autosave
Submitted by andreweans on Tuesday, 7 August, 2007 - 04:39
I rely on autosave. I ordinarily don't manually save my text files in jedit at all, until I need to open those files in other programs, since jedit automatically saves my changes. If jedit or my computer crashes, it's no problem, since when I restart jedit, it automatically finds the autosave files and offers to load them.

However, this safety feature recently failed catastrophically. I'd had jedit running for a couple weeks, and had made many changes to some files. Then my computer crashed, and when I restarted it and started jedit back up, I discovered that one of the autosave files, for a file to which which I had been making many changes every day, was empty! I lost a lot of irreplaceable data as a result.

I investigated, and found the problem. I had pasted some text which included an umlaut letter into the file, and jedit couldn't save it using the particular encoding which I had selected (windows-1251). As a result, it wrote a blank autosave file, and from then on, all of the text which I entered was stored only in memory, which was a disaster waiting to happen. I confirmed that this was the problem by creating a new file, pasting the offending letter, and trying to save it; I got this error:

I/O Error
c:\Users\Andrew\Documents\test.txt:
The following I/O operation could not be completed:
Cannot save: java.io.CharConversionException: Failed to encode the character
'ä' (U+E4) at column 1 in line 5 with the encoding "windows-1251".

It's true that that letter can't be encoded in that encoding. However, silently failing to autosave the file is a major fault of jedit. Furthermore, when I paste the offending letter into the file and then wait for the autosave, jedit writes "Input/output complete" in the status bar as usual, making me believe that the autosave was successful!

Automatically switching the autosave encoding to unicode (and notifying me of this fact) would be one solution to the problem. Another would be simply to display an error message alerting me to the fact that the autosave in my chosen encoding failed. But silently failing is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

A text editor's absolute highest priority, with no exceptions, is: never lose (or corrupt) the user's data. Sorry for ranting, but this is a bug which should not be allowed to remain.
It is present in both pre9 and pre10.
Jedit thinks it crashed when it opens a second instance
Submitted by andreweans on Tuesday, 7 August, 2007 - 03:38
Jedit has a useful feature that if it crashes (or my system crashes), then the next time I start jedit, it will see my autosave files, tell me that it crashed, and offer to load the autosave files instead of the manually saved (old) versions.

When I first installed it, I had it assigned as the default program to handle txt files. However, I discovered that when I already had it running, and had some unsaved (but autosaved) files open, then if I tried to open a txt file from windows explorer, then a second instance of jedit would start, and tell me that it thought it had crashed (because it found autosave files), and offer to load the autosave files. This worried me because it apparently was unaware of (or unable to coordinate with) the instance of jedit which was already running, and I was afraid that in that case, one instance might clobber file changes made by the other instance. To be safe, I changed the default program for txt files to wordpad, to prevent a second instance of jedit from starting when I open txt files from windows explorer.

Why does jedit not recognize that the presence of autosave files is due to an already-running other instance of jedit rather than due to jedit having crashed?

In order to avoid the problem, is there a way I can set jedit as the default program for txt files but have it open those files in the already-running instance rather than open a new instance?
Null pointer exceptions
Submitted by andreweans on Tuesday, 7 August, 2007 - 02:58
I'm getting null pointer exceptions. I tried upgrading to the latest jvm and latest jedit, but that didn't solve the problem. Here are some logs from before and after I upgraded.

Before upgrading:
[message] Log: java.version=1.6.0_01
[message] Log: java.vm.version=1.6.0_01-b06
[message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0_01-b06
[message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
[message] Log: java.compiler=null
[message] Log: os.name=Windows Vista
[message] Log: os.version=6.0
[message] Log: os.arch=x86
(snip)
[notice] jEdit: jEdit version 4.3pre9
(snip)
[error] JEditTextArea: BUG: screenLine=-1,visibleLines=45,physicalLine=0,offset=0,firstPhysicalLine=0,lastPhysicalLine=26
[error] BeanShellAction: java.lang.NullPointerException
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.scrollTo(TextArea.java:860)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.scrollToCaret(TextArea.java:712)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea._finishCaretUpdate(TextArea.java:5004)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.finishCaretUpdate(TextArea.java:5156)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.moveCaretPosition(TextArea.java:2213)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.moveCaretPosition(TextArea.java:2179)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.moveCaretPosition(TextArea.java:2168)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.goToBufferStart(TextArea.java:3128)
[error] BeanShellAction: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
[error] BeanShellAction: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.Reflect.invokeObjectMethod(Reflect.java:80)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:858)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258)
[error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:509)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:76)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:416)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:382)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DefaultInputHandler.handleKey(DefaultInputHandler.java:373)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.input.AbstractInputHandler.processKeyEventKeyStrokeHandling(AbstractInputHandler.java:116)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.processKeyEvent(InputHandler.java:185)
[error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.processKeyEvent(TextArea.java:4510)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
[error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

After upgrading:
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0_02
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: java.vm.version=1.6.0_02-b06
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0_02-b06
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: java.compiler=null
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: os.name=Windows Vista
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: os.version=6.0
3:53:14 AM [message] Log: os.arch=x86
(snip)
3:53:14 AM [notice] jEdit: jEdit version 4.3pre10
(snip)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: java.lang.NullPointerException
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.scrollTo(TextArea.java:875)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.scrollToCaret(TextArea.java:739)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea._finishCaretUpdate(TextArea.java:5085)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.finishCaretUpdate(TextArea.java:5238)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.moveCaretPosition(TextArea.java:2232)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.moveCaretPosition(TextArea.java:2198)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.moveCaretPosition(TextArea.java:2187)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea._changeLine(TextArea.java:5353)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.goToNextLine(TextArea.java:2456)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor14.invoke(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.Reflect.invokeObjectMethod(Reflect.java:80)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:858)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:509)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:76)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:416)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:382)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DefaultInputHandler.handleKey(DefaultInputHandler.java:373)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.input.AbstractInputHandler.processKeyEventKeyStrokeHandling(AbstractInputHandler.java:116)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.processKeyEvent(InputHandler.java:185)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.processKeyEvent(TextArea.java:4591)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
8:29:21 PM [error] BeanShellAction: at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

(BTW I can't put this info in the bug tracking system because I'd have to create a sourceforge account. I already created a jedit.org account yesterday and had to wait until today to get login info emailed to me; don't want to create another account somewhere else and keep waiting.)

This is apparently the same bug as #1584436. http://www.jedit.org/CHANGES43.txt says it was fixed in 4.3pre10: "Scrolling up broken after content removing (#1584436) (Matthieu Casanova)". But it apparently wasn't fixed; I'm still getting the error, and somebody else reported it again as #1763932. The changelog for /jEdit/trunk/org/gjt/sp/jedit/textarea/TextArea.java says #1584436 was fixed in revision 8999. The diff to the previous version shows that all that was changed in this particular file was that a null pointer check and the corresponding error logging were deleted. They included the comment "FIXME - we need to reset the state of this window so that it has the right dimensions again." The offending line of code (both before and after the change), which is causing the null pointer exception, is attempting to dereference a pointer (named "point") which was returned by the function offsetToXY, but offsetToXY is returning null, apparently because screenLine is -1. Hopefully somebody who is familiar with the code can investigate what went wrong.
Hey, where did C-` go?
Submitted by rjray on Friday, 3 August, 2007 - 23:34
I just upgraded to pre10 (hoping to get a fix for the cpu-goes-to-100% problem), and suddenly C-`, which used to switch to the most-recently-visited buffer, no longer does anything. I'm pretty sure this was a core key-binding, as I think I learned it from the startup hints. Since I tend to switch between two buffers a lot, this was an easier (and less carpal-inducing) alternative to the RecentBufferSwitch plugin...

Randy
Perl Syntax Coloring
Submitted by dougis on Sunday, 29 July, 2007 - 02:26
Just switched to pre version 10 and now my perl colorization is screwed up.
Where do I look for the formatting controls to switch back to the version used in 9?
I have tried switching to the perl.xml in modes from 9 and that isn't working.
Any ideas?
The issue seems to be the handling of / inside a quoted string.
Specifically when I have a string that contains a URL things get all screwed up.
so
my $url = "http://www.jedit.org";
messes things up for me.
I can't seem to find anything else on the error, so any and all help is appreciated.
PS,
I have also submitted as a bug, but I could use some help going back to how it was before so that it is more useable for me.

Thanks
Can't type an uppercase 'C'
Submitted by xgecko on Saturday, 28 July, 2007 - 00:16
I can't type an uppercase 'C' when I do it does nothing and beeps when I press another key, after that I can type ok. I noticed when I go to "Shortcuts" in the configuration and attempt to press Shift + c it says its already taken by "C prefix". Any ideas what may be causing this, I'm getting tired of copying and pasting uppercase C from Text Edit.
OS X and My Java Nightmare
Submitted by thynctank on Tuesday, 17 July, 2007 - 04:36
(this is a repost from FreeMind forum on SourceForge... I really need help!)

I do hope the FreeMind patrons/artisans can help me! I've only recently had a machine with enough RAM/free cycles to consider really using Java apps seriously. I've taken a shine to Eclipse (natch!) FreeMind and more recently jEdit.

So today when I went to open a .mm file I created on Friday (it's Monday night now) I was distraught to find FreeMind wouldn't load. I figured I must've done something wrong. But as I clicked and clicked away at the dock icon which had worked fine for months (!) I realized I hadn't changed anything -- my guess is and automatic OS X update is the culprit, and I install those almost without a thought.

To back up my "something changed and I didn't do it" theory, I tried running jEdit. Same deal. Basically, the icons for these apps will bounce in the dock to indicate they are launching, and then simply stop, indicating a failed launch. BUT! No error code, no message of any kind.

To further confuse things, Eclipse is loading fine.

I've tried upgrading to the most recent Java (apparently SE 6? Or J2SE 1.5... I've always hated Java numbering schemes), playing with the various Java Preferences apps in OS X (I have 4 installed, one for each of the previously-mentioned versions and one for 1.4.2, one for 1.3.1...) and nothing. I've tried wiping out the /usr/bin/java dir but can not install older versions (I'm sure there are just other dirs I'm missing to allow for a clean install, but I worry about Apple Auto updater even after that...)

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm really pulling out my hair here!
server init very slow at 189385ms
Submitted by timstearns2 on Thursday, 12 July, 2007 - 03:26
The problem started with Xubuntu 7.04. If I start JEdit with the -nosettings switch then JEdit starts right up. I've also removed and added plugins with no effect. These lines are problematic: [notice] jEdit: An error occurred while connecting to the jEdit server instance. [notice] jEdit: This probably means that jEdit crashed and/or exited abnormally I've never noticed any messages indicating that JEdit closes incorrectly? Searches through the forums and bug tracker have left me clueless. Anyone have any idea, what I've overlooked? Thanks Tim Activity Log: [message] Log: When reporting bugs, please include the following information: [message] Log: java.version=1.6.0 [message] Log: java.vm.version=1.6.0-b105 [message] Log: java.runtime.version=1.6.0-b105 [message] Log: java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc. [message] Log: java.compiler=null [message] Log: os.name=Linux [message] Log: os.version=2.6.20-16-generic [message] Log: os.arch=i386 [message] Log: user.home=/home/tim [message] Log: java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/jre [message] Log: java.class.path=/usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/jedit.jar [notice] jEdit: An error occurred while connecting to the jEdit server instance. [notice] jEdit: This probably means that jEdit crashed and/or exited abnormally [notice] jEdit: the last time it was run. [notice] jEdit: If you don't know what this means, don't worry. [notice] jEdit: java.lang.NullPointerException [notice] jEdit: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:243) [notice] jEdit: jEdit version 4.3pre9 [message] jEdit: Settings directory is /home/tim/.jedit [message] jEdit: jEdit home directory is /usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9 [debug] SplashScreen: init:26ms [debug] SplashScreen: init system properties:19ms [debug] SplashScreen: init GUI:28ms [debug] SplashScreen: init beanshell:152ms [debug] SplashScreen: loading site properties:16ms [debug] SplashScreen: loading user properties:20ms [notice] EditServer: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address [notice] EditServer: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method) [notice] EditServer: at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359) [notice] EditServer: at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319) [notice] EditServer: at java.net.ServerSocket.(ServerSocket.java:185) [notice] EditServer: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditServer.(EditServer.java:83) [notice] EditServer: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:389) [debug] SplashScreen: init server:189385ms [debug] SplashScreen: init look and feel:13ms [debug] SplashScreen: init VFS Manager:7ms [debug] ActionSet: Loading actions from jar:file:/usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/jedit.jar!/org/gjt/sp/jedit/actions.xml [debug] DockableWindowManager: Loading dockables from jar:file:/usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/jedit.jar!/org/gjt/sp/jedit/dockables.xml [debug] EditBus: SearchSettingsChanged[source=null] [debug] SplashScreen: init resources:345ms [notice] jEdit: Loading plugins from /usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/jars [debug] EditBus: PluginUpdate[what=LOADED,exit=false,source=/usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/jars/LatestVersion.jar,class=LatestVersionPlugin] [debug] EditBus: PluginUpdate[what=LOADED,exit=false,source=/usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/jars/QuickNotepad.jar,class=QuickNotepadPlugin] [notice] jEdit: Loading plugins from /home/tim/.jedit/jars [debug] SplashScreen: init plugins:122ms [message] HistoryModel: Loading history [debug] SplashScreen: init history model:21ms [message] BufferHistory: Loading recent.xml [debug] SplashScreen: init buffer history:9ms [message] KillRing: Loading killring.xml [debug] SplashScreen: init killring:21ms [debug] jEdit: SOCKS proxy disabled [debug] jEdit: HTTP proxy disabled [debug] EditBus: PropertiesChanged[source=null] [debug] SplashScreen: init various properties:24ms [message] jEdit: Loading mode catalog file /usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/modes/catalog [message] jEdit: Loading mode catalog file /home/tim/.jedit/modes/catalog [debug] SplashScreen: init modes:86ms [debug] SplashScreen: activate plugins:2ms [debug] Macros: Registered beanshell macro handler [debug] EditBus: DynamicMenuChanged[menu=macros,source=null] [message] BeanShell: Running script /usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/startup/getGraphicsEnvironment.bsh [message] BeanShell: Running script /usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/startup/startup.bsh [debug] String: BeanShell interpreter version 2.0b4-jedit [debug] SplashScreen: init macros:248ms [debug] SplashScreen: run startup scripts:1ms [debug] SplashScreen: run startup scripts:2ms [debug] EditBus: BufferUpdate[what=LOAD_STARTED,view=null,source=Untitled-1 (/home/tim/)] [debug] EditBus: BufferUpdate[what=CREATED,view=null,source=Untitled-1 (/home/tim/)] [message] PerspectiveManager: Loading /home/tim/.jedit/perspective.xml [debug] EditBus: BufferChanging[what=BUFFER_CHANGING,source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane[inactive]] [debug] EditBus: EditPaneUpdate[what=CREATED,source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditPane[inactive]] [debug] EditBus: ViewUpdate[what=CREATED,source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.View[active]] [debug] EditBus: EditorStarted[source=null] [debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit I/O #1] [debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit I/O #2] [debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit I/O #3] [message] jEdit: Startup complete [debug] WorkThread: Work request thread starting [jEdit I/O #4] [debug] JEditTextArea: InputMethodSupport is activated [notice] jEdit: Loading edit mode /usr/local/share/jedit/4.3pre9/modes/text.xml [debug] EditBus: BufferUpdate[what=PROPERTIES_CHANGED,view=null,source=Untitled-1 (/home/tim/)] [debug] EditBus: BufferUpdate[what=LOADED,view=null,source=Untitled-1 (/home/tim/)] [error] KeyEventTranslator: Invalid key stroke: C+e C+BACK_QUOTE [debug] EditBus: DockableWindowUpdate[what=ACTIVATED,dockable=log-viewer,source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DockableWindowManager[,0,0,1024x699,layout=org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DockableLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=9,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]] [debug] EditBus: DockableWindowUpdate[what=ACTIVATED,dockable=log-viewer,source=org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DockableWindowManager[,0,0,1024x699,layout=org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DockableLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=9,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]]
getting an I/O error message
Submitted by mamboze on Wednesday, 4 July, 2007 - 11:55
I downloaded a ubuntu iso yesterday and somehow, I'm not sure how, when I start jEdit I now get an I/O error message -

The following I/O operations could not be completed
E:\downloads\ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso
There is insufficient Java heap memory to complete this request.Try increasing the maximum heap size.

Not surprising, since the iso file is about 700Mb.

But my problem is that I don't know what needs to be done to get rid of the message.

Thanks in advance
JPyDebug doesn't work
Submitted by misterdanny on Tuesday, 26 June, 2007 - 01:36
I installed this in hope of being able to work with python in jedit (i need something to check for errors) on the "error list" window it only shows

"1: Python Source Insepctor launch error = IOException when building process : CreateProcess: ....." then theres a long string of different file locations then at the very end it says error=2

I think something is setup wrong but I went through every menu to see what setting might be wrong to cause this and I couldn't find anything. This shows up even if the file is empty or if all it says is print 'hi' or something.

Any ideas? or alternatives to python error checking in jedit?
JPyDebug doesn't work
Submitted by misterdanny on Tuesday, 26 June, 2007 - 01:35
I installed this in hope of being able to work with python in jedit (i need something to check for errors) on the "error list" window it only shows

"1: Python Source Insepctor launch error = IOException when building process : CreateProcess: ....." then theres a long string of different file locations then at the very end it says error=2

I think something is setup wrong but I went through every menu to see what setting might be wrong to cause this and I couldn't find anything. This shows up even if the file is empty or if all it says is print 'hi' or something.

Any ideas? or alternatives to python error checking in jedit?
Exceptions on close/quit
Submitted by Giesen on Wednesday, 20 June, 2007 - 23:07
I'm getting an error after I do a find/replace in files. Is jEdit still under development? Is a final 4.3 version on the way?

I get this exception when I try to quit:

java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.getBuffers(jEdit.java:1950)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager.savePerspective(PerspectiveManager.java:147)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.exit(jEdit.java:2473)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeOnMethod(Reflect.java:149)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:100)
at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:872)
at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:72)
at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:349)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:246)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:171)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:523)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:229)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$3.invokeAction(jEdit.java:2910)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(EditAction.java:216)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:357)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1216)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1257)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:272)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6038)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3260)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5803)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4322)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3986)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3916)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2102)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)

I get this exception when I try to close only open buffer:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.removeBufferFromList(jEdit.java:3715)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit._closeBuffer(jEdit.java:1709)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.closeBuffer(jEdit.java:1664)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor27.invoke(Unknown Source)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeOnMethod(Reflect.java:149)
at bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:100)
at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:872)
at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:72)
at bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:349)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:246)
at bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:171)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:523)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:229)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$3.invokeAction(jEdit.java:2910)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditAction$Wrapper.actionPerformed(EditAction.java:216)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:236)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6038)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3260)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5803)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4322)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3986)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3916)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2102)
Processor goes full on 100%
Submitted by George Dunham on Monday, 4 June, 2007 - 20:01
Hi All

I am a noob with jEdit and quite impressed with it. I have it installed in both Fiesty Fawn and M$ XP.

All seemed well at first then while working out an issue with a user on Pidgin the CPU locked up & I noticed the fan going full. Power KILL was the only way left available to recover control.

I've since paid more attention and it seems I get between 30 & 10 minutes operation of jEdit before I notice the fan and task manager reporting 100% CPU usage. Memory usage seems to remain at normal levels.

Terminating jEdit restored CPU usage to normal levels immediately & I can reload with out issues. Doing this several times today I began to be aware the runtimes were getting shorter. Finally it got down to under 10 minutes.

At this point I re-installed this time ensuring all the install options were included (Complete Install). I also selected to install the launcher that starts at boot.

In approximately 12 minutes I noticed the CPU at 100% and the fan running. I saved my work and exited the program. This time the CPU usage remained at 100%. I then killed the jEdit (sp) process. CPU usage returned to normal levels and I built the config data block I'll include near the end of this post. ~30 minutes with no CPU issues.

Are others seeing this behavior?

My Config:
Processor thread over run
jEdit version 4.3Pre9
Java version 6 update 1 Verified at Sun's web site
Version 1.6.0 (build 1.6.0_01-b06)
Plugins:
Archive
Background
Beauty