jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Column Ruler V 0.9 "locking-up" jEdit
Submitted by ELockhart on Wednesday, 16 May, 2007 - 16:09
Plugin Column Ruler V0.7 runs "OK" with jEdit V4.2 on a Windows 2003 Server (Svc Pack 1) w JRE 1.5.0_11-b03 HOWEVER when I upgrade to Column Ruler V0.9 jEdit will "lock-up" when I try running the CR plugin; I must stop the javaw.exe process (TaskMgr CPU=25 for javaw.exe and Sys IP=75).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
ctrl-alt-j how can i disable this from launching jedit?
Submitted by dovholuk on Tuesday, 15 May, 2007 - 13:21
pretty much says it all in the title... i can't find where ctrl-alt-j is mapped so i can get rid of it...

thanks
jEdit Remembering Folding configurations for files opened
Submitted by thamiral on Sunday, 13 May, 2007 - 17:52
Dear all,

If a file is reopened in jEdit, the cursor is usually in the same position as where it was when the file was opened last.

Is there a way to get folding configurations for each file to also be stored so that when the file is reopened, all the segments of the file that were folded away, remain folded away?

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Taha
php string quoting wrong
Submitted by DWay on Friday, 11 May, 2007 - 11:04
the php ist not recongized as string with JE4.3p9
JEdit 4.3 pre 9 crashes when maximizing window
Submitted by blegger on Thursday, 10 May, 2007 - 20:03
I installed a fresh copy of jEdit 4.3 pre 9, but jEdit shutdowns and disappears when I try to maximize the window or go to manage plugins. My environment is setup as follows:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
Java SE Runtime Environment 6
Java SE Development Kit 6
jEdit 4.3 pre 9

I even made sure to clear out all of the plugins and personal settings I had from the 4.2 installation.

I have since installed jEdit4.2 and it works fine.
Buffertabs sorting seems broken in 4.3
Submitted by tdir on Saturday, 5 May, 2007 - 14:08
I have been using 4.2 for a long while and recently tried upgrading to 4.3pre9. In 4.2 the order of buffertabs seems to be based on the global options "Sort buffer list" and "Sort buffer list by file name", both of which I normally check. Doing so in 4.2 causes the buffer tabs to be sorted by filename and stay in that order. With 4.3 the order seems sorta by filename but each time I select a tab it jumps to the front. This causes the other tabs to get out of order until finally each tab selection creates a new random ordering with the most recent buffers in the front row. I find this to be almost unusable - I spend too much time searching through the tabs every time I want to select a file.

I have tried the two 'sort buffer list' checkboxes in various combinations - they seem to have no effect whatever.

I am running mainly under WinXP but also Ubuntu and Red Hat.

1. Is this the correct behavior? Has the behavior changed from 4.2 to 4.3?
2. Is there a fix? Is this a bug?
3. Should I report/post to a better place than this forum?

Thank you very much for any clues provided!
Problem with accents on Ubuntu Feisty
Submitted by gp on Thursday, 3 May, 2007 - 22:10

I am having a problem with foreign characters when using jEdit 4.3pre9 on Ubuntu Feisty. It's not strictly a jEdit problem, but I was hoping that someone here more experienced with Java could help me.

The problem is this: when typing characters with an accent, those characters come out wrong in Java apps. It appears to only affect Swing apps (jEdit, Zend Studio). Eclipse, which uses SWT, does render the accents correctly. Please note that this has nothing to do with character encoding settings in the apps themselves.

With Java 1.5, when typing an accented character, it is replaced with a totally different character (I usually get the blank square); with Java 6, accented characters are replaced with the non-accented equivalent (for example, what should be ă comes out as the letter "a"). There is one exception: accented characters from the Latin-1 (ISO 8859-1) character set, such as "ü", "é" etc. are rendered correctly.

I ran the apps on sun-java5-jre and sun-java6-jre (from the Ubuntu repositories), as well as on Java 1.5 downloaded directly from Sun. There is no difference.

Here's the output of jEdit's keyboard troubleshooting feature when I try to type the characters:

I am trying to type ă (U+0103). jEdit running on Java 1.5.

Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x41,keyChar=0x1e3,modifiers=0 x20,consumed=0 filtered
Event KEY_TYPED,keyCode=0x0,keyChar=0x1e3,modifiers=0x20 ,consumed=0 passed
==> Translated to <0,1e3>
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x41,keyChar=0x1e3,modifiers= 0x20,consumed=0 passed

Same character, jEdit running on Java 6.

Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x0,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0 x0,consumed=0 filtered
Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x41,keyChar=0x61,modifiers=0x 20,consumed=0 filtered
Event KEY_TYPED,keyCode=0x0,keyChar=0x61,modifiers=0x20, consumed=0 passed
==> Translated to <0,61>
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x0,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers= 0x20,consumed=0 passed
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x41,keyChar=0x61,modifiers=0 x0,consumed=0 passed

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wheel scrolling not working, Vista-Intellipoint 6.1
Submitted by keensyntax on Monday, 23 April, 2007 - 18:25
I just picked up a new MS Natural Wireless 6000 mouse. When I use this mouse with Intellipoint installed, jEdit and oXygen xml editor will not scroll with the wheel. If I uninstall Intellipoint, they will, but I'd really like to have some of the features in Intellipoint. Has anyone run into this or otherwise know of a way to make this configuration work?
Displaying Chinese
Submitted by creepytennis on Monday, 23 April, 2007 - 11:15
Hi,

I'm using JEdit on Gentoo Linux 2006.1 Everything works perfectly, except that I cannot display Chinese characters.

I am loading Chinese in UTF-8. It loads, edits and saves fine (i.e. the UTF-8 encoding is not scrambled by JEdit), but within JEdit all the Chinese shows as small squares.

I have searched the internet and these forums extensively. I seem to have the same problem as this guy:

http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/3398

I have tried changing the LANG and LC_ALL environment variables as well as setting the -Dfile.encoding JVM option to "UTF8". Nothing works.

At the moment JEdit is useless to me because of this, although the website and docs say it can display Chinese correctly. It looks like a smart editor. Can anyone help?
Problem with CTRL+char combinations
Submitted by Naturo on Monday, 23 April, 2007 - 09:31
I have a problem with Jedit: whenever I type CTRL+some_character, it executes the command corresponding to the combination (when such command exists) but it also inserts the character into the current position in the text.

E.g. when I type CTRL+x it deletes the selected text but it inserts the character 'x'. If I type CTRL+f it opens the Find&Replace dialogue window but it also inserts the character 'f' into the text.

I have this problem only with Jedit, things work fine when I use other editors, including Java-based editors like Netbeans IDE editor.

I am using Jedit 4.2final on Fedora 3, with Sun jdk1.5.10 (but I have the same problem when switching to jdk1.6 or jdk1.4).

Here is what happens when using Utilities->Troubleshooting->Keyboard Tester:
If I type CTRL+x for instance, it prints "C+x x" in the textefield of the "Specify Shortcut" dialogue window, and the following event report is printed in the text window:
Event KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=0x58,keyChar=0x78,modifiers=0x2 passed
==> Translated to C<0,78>
Event KEY_TYPED,keyCode=0x0,keyChar=0x78,modifiers=0x2 passed
==> Translated to <0,78>
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x58,keyChar=0x78,modifiers=0x2 passed
Event KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=0x11,keyChar=0xffff,modifiers=0x0 filtered

Thanks in advance for any help!

tilde gobbling: any work arounds?
Submitted by WGW on Friday, 20 April, 2007 - 19:26
I can't get Jedit to output a tilde. I shuffled through forum messages and this seems to be a perennial problem, so this is just a bump to see if there is anything new.

The problem:
Minor: with the normal us keyboard, no tilde
Major: with the us international keyboard, most deadkeys can't be typed: ' " ~ ` ^

Under Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) I can switch keyboards to the US standard to resolve the Major problem (annoying, but an acceptable workaround: the US international keyboard works fine everywhere else except Jedit). However, I still can't get the tilde even under the US standard keyboard.

Is this a Linux problem? Jedit worked fine in Windows.

Here is some data:

Jedit 4.3pre9 Java: 1.5.0_11
Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy)
Compaq presario R3000

Keyboard troubleshooter message: filters the character.
Cyrillic on Linux
Submitted by atg2d on Friday, 20 April, 2007 - 12:38
Hi i beleive this is a java problem but i hope that someone has experienced this and might be able to help me. Here is the problem:
I am using Gentoo linux and jdk 1.5.10. When i write latin symbols in jedit everything is ok, but when i try to write cyrillic symbols or romanian, or polish special characters nothing happens - nothing is displayed in the editor field (not even jibberish or squares or anything - the cursor doesn't move at all). When i paste them from another program they are displaying fine.
What could be the reason for that and how can this be fixed. Please if somebody knows something about that help me.
Thank you
"Can't happen"--yeah, right
Submitted by McSwell on Thursday, 19 April, 2007 - 19:48
I've got six or seven buffers loaded, and all work but one. When I try to display that particular file, the buffer is blank. I can go to the top of the file, and move the cursor down line by line; each line will appear until I get to about line 10, when a "BeanShell Error" msg appears. And it literally says "Can't happen". Some comfort...

I've tried closing and re-opening that file, closing and re-starting jEdit, and even rebooting my PC. Nothing works. At this point the file in question does not seem to be damaged on disk, but I certainly can't use jEdit to edit it.

There's a rather lengthy error msg. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be possible to copy it to the Windows clipboard. It starts out (I'm typing this in by hand, so no guarantees that I haven't made a mistake):

java.lang.InternalError: Can't happen
at org.gjtsp.jedit.syntax.TokenMarker.handleRule(TokenMarker.java:412)
at org.gjtsp.jedit.syntax.TokenMarker.markTokens(TokenMarker.java:158)
at org.gjtsp.jedit.Buffer.markTokens(Buffer.java:2115)
and so on for hundreds of lines.

I would attach the Activity Log, but it is nothing short of huge.

Suggestions on how to fix this are welcome...

Mike Maxwell
4.3 pre9 hangs when opening specific perl file
Submitted by dougis on Wednesday, 18 April, 2007 - 22:35
I need some help if possible.
I have a perl lib file that causes jedit to hang whenever I open it (runs CPU to 50% and I have to kill the task to get out of it).
I am running on windows and running version 4.3pre9 (my linux box running 4.2 does not seem to have the same issue).
Is there a way to figure out what it is in the file that is causing the hang up? I have tried saving the file in another editor to try and mess with the formatting, also attempted pulling it off my server via SFTP to reload the file and it still hangs.
Any ideas I can try to track down what causes this?
Python escape quote syntax highlighting wrong
Submitted by dj_segfault on Tuesday, 17 April, 2007 - 13:53
Using jEdit 4.3 pre 9, in my python code, escaped quotes (\") are confusing the syntax highlighting. For instance, in the line req.write(" ") Everything is normal up to the first \". The [" ] is black, then from [")] on throughout the program up to the next quote on the next line is considered a string. So everything is pretty much reversed after that. It's very annoying. I've been forcing them to PHP mode just so my eyes don't go crosseyed with all the pink code. Is there an update to the python syntax highlighting? I tried comparing the Python and PHP configs, but it was too confusing for me to follow. I did find http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1930#1625 which is relevant, but it isn't explicit enough on how to fix the problem for someone who hasn't worked on the mode files before. Besides, I can't be the only one who'se seeing this. Thanks.
Not Going to Parent Directory" -->
File System Browser - Backspace --> Not Going to Parent Directory
Submitted by thamiral on Friday, 6 April, 2007 - 20:04
Dear All,

I'm running jEdit 4.3pre9 on Java 1.5.0_11 and I noticed that the File System Browser does not go to the parent directory when I hit backspace in the "File Name" text field, when there isn't anything in there.

Any ideas as to why this happened? The previous versions of jEdit never had this problem and unfortunately, no one seemed to have noticed this problem so far.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Taha
Opening CP850 encoded (DOS) files
Submitted by Fredrik on Thursday, 5 April, 2007 - 06:39
I'm having trouble opening CP850 encoded (DOS) files...

This encoding is described in the jEdit user manual, so it should work, but no luck yet for me.

Manual: On Windows, various other encodings, referred to as code pages and identified by number, are used to store non-English text. The corresponding Java encoding name is windows- followed by the code page number, for example windows-850.

So I select Other in the encoding menu and enter windows-850, cp850, Cp850 or CP850, but whatever I try, I get an IO error: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: Cp850.

Anything else I can try?
Problem with PHP syntax highligting 4.3pre9
Submitted by ovidiu on Wednesday, 4 April, 2007 - 20:37
Hello,

Since I updated to 4.3pre9, the PHP syntax highlighting gets broken after encountering escaped strings. Example:

$string = "something\"";
$highlighting = "is_now_broken";

It's very annoying, especially for long files. Does anybody have any idea for a fix? Thank you.
Errors Downloading/Installing plugins from Windows x64
Submitted by jtrupiano on Wednesday, 4 April, 2007 - 14:17
Hi, not sure if this is a 64-bit issue--

New user to jEdit. Looking for a Windows RoR editor. Tried RadRails, but it won't install on 64-bit.

Anyway, I tried to download/install the Ruby plugin, but I get the following errors:

Not sure if this is a "bug," or if it's a known issue. Or have I forgotten to do something. Note that this is a completely fresh install-- haven't done anything at all to it.

Thanks in advance.

-John

[error] Roster$Install: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://mir1.ovh.net/sourceforge/jedit-plugins/ErrorList-1.4.2-bin.zip
[error] Roster$Install: at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1243)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.Roster$Install.download(Roster.java:417)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.Roster$Install.runInWorkThread(Roster.java:314)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.Roster.performOperationsInWorkThread(Roster.java:82)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.PluginManagerProgress$RosterThread.run(PluginManagerProgress.java:181)
[error] Roster$Install: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://mir1.ovh.net/sourceforge/jedit-plugins/RubyPlugin-0.8.1-bin.zip
[error] Roster$Install: at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1243)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.Roster$Install.download(Roster.java:417)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.Roster$Install.runInWorkThread(Roster.java:314)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.Roster.performOperationsInWorkThread(Roster.java:82)
[error] Roster$Install: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.pluginmgr.PluginManagerProgress$RosterThread.run(PluginManagerProgress.java:181)
[error] Roster$Install: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://mir1.ovh.net/sourceforge/jedit-plugins/SideKick-0.3.4-bin.zip
PHP Mode Bug?
Submitted by nolink on Wednesday, 4 April, 2007 - 10:38
Hi.

There is a strange behavior if you edit .php-files.

Fresh install of jEdit 4.3pre9/Java 1.5.0_11 on WinXP

Create a new file and name it test.php
Ending .php is important.

Fill it with this:
1 Tab (press the TAB-Key on your keyboard) and than write Hi that it looks like
TABHi
The tab in front of Hi is important (no possibility to write a tab in this forum nor write more than 1 blank space...)

Now put a : after Hi that it should look like:
TabHi:
with a real Tab instead of "Tab".

What you get is not what you want, you get this:
Hi:

The Tab is gone.

If you do that with a file named test.htm you will get what you want, but not with php.

I have this problem if I write css-code in html-tags in php-files.
You can ad some code to make it a real php-file (I can't do it here, tags are not allowed...).

Lu...
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349