jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
xml-Plugin and xhtml-file-validation
Submitted by Ralph_W on Monday, 19 March, 2007 - 14:58
Hello i have a problem with jEdit / xml plugin

I want to validate xhtml documents with jEdit. I installed the XML-plugin and the required plugins (error list and the others) and everythings is going all right when I start jEdit. To test the function I'm opening a xhtml-file, which has some errors in it. But in the error-list there are no errors displayed. I think it has something to do with the DTD? The xhtml-DTD is in the first line of the file but I think it's not automatically dedected?

Thanx for help

Ralph
Avoid automatic ident, faults in php edit mode
Submitted by Hans_Bauer on Thursday, 15 March, 2007 - 09:14
Hello all and thank you for the great program.

I'm using a different style of programming and so the automatic identing of JEdit (e.g. on closing braces) is extremely counterproductive for me. Is there any possiblity to switch off all identing? Due to problems of inserting a code example within this topic, you may have a look at 'http://www.h-bauer.de/temp/identing-php.txt' to see my style of programming.

Programming some php routines i found that the php-edit-mode seems to be faulty. I'm very sorry, but i could not bring all code to be visible within this thread. So again i only can ask you to have a look at 'http://www.h-bauer.de/temp/identing-php.txt' to see the amazing colors when using the php-edit-mode.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Yours
Hans Bauer
Use of # character in temporary buffer names
Submitted by mderouss on Sunday, 4 March, 2007 - 22:40
Not sure if this is a bug, but it's a problem for me.
I'm trying to use Infoviewer to view the output of an XLST transformation.
But the output of this transformation is placed into a temporary buffer, with a name that looks like '#Untitled-1#'.
Infoviewer appears to be treating the buffer name which it is fed as a URL. The presence of the '#', which is an unsafe character in a URL, therefore causes it to display a directory listing for the path up to the '#', which is perfectly reasonable behaviour for a browser under normal circumstances.
I can see two possible resolutions to this.
Firstly, Infoviewer treats a buffer name ( as opposed to a file name ) as something other than a URL. Might be architecturally tricky.
Secondly, JEdit ( if it is JEdit, as opposed to the XSLT transformer ) doesn't autogenerate temporary buffer/file names which would be invalid in URL's. This seems eminently reasonable.
So, what does the committee think - is this a bug ( and if so in what ? ), or a feature request ?
And on a related note, does anyone know a better way of achieving what I want to achieve ( automatic HTML preview of XSLT transformer output ) ?

Thanks,
Mark
modifying xml mode breaks auto-complete
Submitted by McSwell on Friday, 2 March, 2007 - 21:54
I copied the xml.xml mode file from the jEdit install directory to my .jedit directory (under docs-and-settings: this is on Windows). Then I slightly modified it by altering
<SPAN TYPE="LITERAL1" NO_LINE_BREAK="TRUE">
to
<SPAN TYPE="LITERAL1" NO_LINE_BREAK="FALSE">
for the case where Literal1 is begun by (and ended by) a double quote. (I did this to get the coloring to work right in a .xsd file, since quoted materials can easily span multiple lines.) I then altered the 'catalog' file in that same dir to refer to the local xml.xml file, by copying the entry for xml files from the catalog in the install dir.

But that seems to have broken the auto-completion, and auto-indentation as well. In particulary, when I type a tag
<foobar>
it used to be that jEdit would automagically supplying a close tag, giving:
<foobar></foobar>
(with the cursor conveniently placed between the two tags).
But with the modified xml.xml file, jEdit no longer does this.

Do I need to do s.t. else?

Mike Maxwell
strange behavior of the ftp-plugin
Submitted by vik on Wednesday, 28 February, 2007 - 09:06
Hi,

i'm using jEdit on a Windows XP SP2 maschine.
when saving small files via ftp-plugin to a unix-host, everything works fine.

If the file size increases up to ~3kB i receive execptions like:

java.net.SocketTimeoutExceptionjava.net.SocketTimeoutException

or

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

This happens also in several combinations of jre ,jEdit and ftp-plugin, eg.

jre_1.5.0_06 and jedit_4.2 final with ftp-plugin 0.72
jre_1.6.0 and jedit_4.3pre8 with fpt-plugin 0.8

Any ideas or help?

Thanks a lot, vik
DB Terminal fails to connect to database
Submitted by polypus on Sunday, 4 February, 2007 - 15:57
i am running jedit 4.2final, and DB Terminal 0.1.1 on linux (ubuntu dapper).

i finally figured out how to install the java driver, i think?. i downloaded version mm.mysql-2.0.14-bin.jar and put in in .jedit/jars. i was getting array out of bounds errors with version 3.

in the DB Terminal connection window i have:

host: 127.0.0.1
database: depot_development
user: root
password:
DB Type: MySQL

but on connect i get the following error:

"Cannot connect to MySQL server on 127.0.0.1:3306. Is there a MySQL server running on the machine/port you are trying to connect to? (java.lang.NumberFormatException)"

i can log on just fine with:

mysql -u root --protocol=TCP --port=3306

and

mysql -u root --protocol=SOCKET

any ideas anyone? thanks many.
lost windows
Submitted by godfailed on Friday, 2 February, 2007 - 20:15
I use jedit from my thumb drive, which works just fine. But on one system my display is in portrait mode the other system is a regular 1280x1024 resolution. My problem is that when I open a dialog box (say for opening a file or search) the window placements are saved from my old system and are way off my screen and I Can't access the windows. is there any way to change what location the windows open at?
Java Heap Error
Submitted by WizardWilson on Thursday, 1 February, 2007 - 18:05
How do I adjust jEdit to allow the opening of larger files? I have reviewed the users guide as indicated but can't locate the spot or steps to correct my error.
PHP mode syntax highlighting broken by escaped quotes in 4.3pre9
Submitted by gribelu on Wednesday, 31 January, 2007 - 20:51
create a file in PHP mode and use this code: The escaped quotes seem to break the syntax highlighting Sad ... I tries using the modes (the modes/*.xml files) from pre8 but that didn't fix it. Had to go back to pre8
utilities>global options>text area>selection single imac g5 10.4
Submitted by dander on Wednesday, 31 January, 2007 - 19:56
01-31-06

I'm having problem with selecting data in a document with
the cursor. The selected data is comming up with a dark
blue back ground and the text can not be read.

When I do
utilities>global options>text area>selection single

the swatch shows a dark blue color and
when I try to change the color to a lighter
see through color like white or pastel blue then OK
the text area panel comes back with white
in the swatch. I press apply then OK.

The selection in the document is still dark blue
if I then do
utilities>global options>text area>selection single

the swatch has reverted to dard blue.

This problem started two days ago after the Apple store
tech remove a jammed cd and reinstalled imac g5 osx 10.4,
and I installed all Apple updates, which included a new version
JAVA. I downloaded jedit4.3pre9install.dmg and the probem started
occuring. I need advice on where to find a solution as I've
spent two days trying and have had no luck.

thanks

dander@bestweb.net
Ftp plugin is so slow on jedit 4.3pre9
Submitted by Reeves1016 on Saturday, 27 January, 2007 - 02:29
My platform is Ubuntu 6.10 and JDK6.0,and I find that the ftp plugin on this new version open files on ftp server so slowly.Does anybody have the same problem?
Javascript plugin - parsing javascript & displaying errors - broken on windows!
Submitted by greyhound4334 on Monday, 22 January, 2007 - 20:48
Hi All,

I'm at wits end, and hope someone can help.

I've moved my development environment from Linux to Windows, and one of the most important Jedit features I rely on is the javascript plugin. In particular, its ability to parse javascript and display errors is a lifesaver. This feature saves me tons of time vs. trying to find a typo or some dumb syntax error at runtime.

Problem is, no matter what I try, I can't seem to get this feature running on Windows. I've tried with 4.2 and 4.3, and I've tried to completely duplicate the setup and configuration on windows that I'm using under Linux. Even tried copying the whole jars directory from my user settings directory from my linux box to Windows.

In all cases, the error list window shows no errors when parsing javascript, and the UI doesn't display the helpful little "error bars" in the source code window.

I got all this running on Linux quite some time ago, so I can't really remember whether/what I did with Rhino to get this running. Unfortunately, the Rhino docs are rather sparse, and I could find very little searching this site or the javascript plugin site or the rhino site to set me straight.

I have downloaded and placed rhino's js.jar file in both my user and system settings directories, again to no avail (even though I don't seem to have one anywhere on my linux box).

Any help/advice or guesses gratefully accepted!

John
Resizing the main window on Fedora
Submitted by chmac on Saturday, 20 January, 2007 - 19:22
I've installed Jedit 4.3pre8 and Jedit 4.2 on Fedora Core 6 and I have the same problem with both. The main window open arounds 800x600 pixels, and if I resize the window or maximize it, I just get empty space around the window. The application stays the original size, and the space around it is unusable.

I've seen screenshots of Jedit and obviously you can use the whole screen! I'm using Sun's JDK v1.5.0.9 with the jpackage compatible rpm. Other Java apps are running find.

I've searched but can't find anyone with a similar problem or a solution. Can anyone suggest any routes of investigation or solutions?

Cheers - Callum.
Switching buffers in OSX
Submitted by Jeff Day on Friday, 12 January, 2007 - 02:44
I just upgraded to 4.3pre8 from 4.2 and I noticed that now when I click on the dropdown to change buffers and type a letter or two to jump to a particular buffer on the list, it actually types those letters in the buffer as well as using it to select from the buffer list. (e.g. I am working on an file called 'index.php' and I want to switch to a file called 'add.php'. I click into the buffer list at the top of my window and hit the 'a' key. The buffer changes to add.php, but also types the letter a into index.php, so I have to go back and delete/undo it.)

Has anyone else experienced this, or, even better, found a way to fix it?
XML Plug-In Not Generating Errors
Submitted by machineghost on Wednesday, 10 January, 2007 - 22:52
I recently switched over to using Linux, and as a result had to re-install jEdit. However, for some reason (I suspect because something got broke in a recent revision) the XML plug-in no longer generates errors (in the errorList plug-in), even when there are some (for instance, when there is an unclosed tag). Does anyone know how to fix this or when it will be fixed? Or even how/when it got broken? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeremy
JExplorer & Java 5
Submitted by undiexs on Wednesday, 10 January, 2007 - 14:12
JExplorer does not work under the following:
Windows XP, Java 1.5.0_09, jEdit 4.3pre8 (also test under 4.2 Final).

Fundementally, I am looking for the eclipse CTRL-SHIFT-T functionality where I can search the libraries for a class (I think Xrefactor used to do it, but not in Java 5). I find that with Maven* doing the builds for me, that this is the only thing I miss about eclipse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Pete

PS * Maven plugin does not seem to work either... Maven 2, Java 5 (pom.xml ,etc.).

Here is a post of my activity log:

[debug] WorkThread: Running in work thread: [id=3,run=jexplorer.model.Model$ParsingManager@37b90c]
[error] WorkThread: Exception in work thread:
[error] WorkThread: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: errors
[error] WorkThread: at jexplorer.JExplorerErrorSource.removeFileErrors(Unknown Source)
[error] WorkThread: at jexplorer.model.properties.PMModelStatus.removeFileErrors(Unknown Source)
[error] WorkThread: at jexplorer.model.Model$ParsingManager.parseSource(Unknown Source)
[error] WorkThread: at jexplorer.model.Model$ParsingManager.run(Unknown Source)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThread.doRequest(WorkThread.java:194)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThread.doRequests(WorkThread.java:161)
[error] WorkThread: at org.gjt.sp.util.WorkThread.run(WorkThread.java:135)
Displaying Chinese Unicode Text on English Windows XP
Submitted by ticktock256 on Saturday, 6 January, 2007 - 18:04
I can't get my Chinese text to display in jEdit on English Windows XP SP2. Asian language support is installed. Sun Java 1.4.2_13. See my attached screen shot:

http://www.bluevertex.net/imgrepub.php?category=jeditbug&filename=jedit_no_chinese.png

Note that the Chinese displays correctly in Windows Notepad. It also displays properly in Eclipse so it can't be a Java/Unicode problem. Note also that the buffer options for the file recognize it as a UTF-8 file.

Any ideas? I'm really hoping to use something lighter weight than Eclipse and jEdit is perfect...
Where are the "modes" folder and "catalog" file for Mac OS X? (jEdit 4.3pre8)
Submitted by pilaftank on Monday, 1 January, 2007 - 20:45
Clicking the Mac OS X package link on the jEdit download page results in jEdit.app being installed on the Desktop as expected, but there does not appear to be any of the supporting folder and files. I can't seem to find the modes folder or the catalog file?

More specifically, I have written special instructions for jEdit users to enable .shtml syntax highlighting for a custom file extension, but the instructions won't work for Mac users. How do I instruct Mac users on enabling syntax highlighting for a custom file extension?
Can't get my commando file to show up in list of available commandos
Submitted by airfoil on Saturday, 30 December, 2006 - 18:07
To be able to run the PLT mzscheme command line Scheme compiler/interpreter on the contents of the current buffer. Can't get my commando file to show up in list of available commandos jEdit Help: Chapter 5. Commando User-specific commando files are loaded from the console/commando subdirectory of the jEdit settings directory. Plugins>Console>Rescan Commando Directory should be called after files are added or removed in the user-specific commando directory. Plugins>Console>Browse Commando Directory opens the user-specific commando directory in jEdit's file system browser. You can find out the location of the settings directory by entering the following command in the system shell of the console window: %echo ${JEDIT_SETTINGS} Placed a minimal commando file named mzscheme-commando.xml in C:\Documents and Settings\kyle\.jedit\console\commando Tried to find Plugins>Console>Rescan Commando Directory, but was unable to locate in jEdit GUI. Searched vigorously through jEdit Help for any relevant information regarding rescanning Commando Directory, and why I wouldn't have that menu option available. Finally decided to ask user group to see if anyone with more experience could help me achieve my goal of running the PLT MzScheme command line Scheme compiler/interpreter on the current buffer, whether it be through custom commando files or by other means. Happy Holidays! --kyle airfoil at bellsouth dot net schemekeys.blogspot.com
ctags/codeBrowser in OS X
Submitted by trice on Thursday, 28 December, 2006 - 14:50
Hello,

I have a problem with using the codeBrowser (for PHP-scripts) in OS X - it basically doesn't show anything.
I'm not a developer and just found jEdit - maybe someone could give me a hint what to do? - Would be really great...

My configuration:
OS X 10.3.9
jEdit 4.2 final
CodeBrowser 1.3.1
cTags 5.6
(Jump! 0.3.3)

And here's what I've done so far:
I installed the CodeBrowser and downloaded the exuberant ctags and put it at first into
/usr/bin/ctags and later into
/usr/local/bin/ctags, since it didn't work the first time
Then I downloaded the xCode from Apple, since I got the error-message, that I don't have any C-compiler installed, while I was trying to installed the ctags.
After this, I was able to compile the ctags - but still no function-tree or something similiar.
When I use the Path: /usr/local/bin/ctags/configure - I get a positiv testresult within the configurations of Jump! (does that make sense?), but nothing changes within the codebrowser itself.

I hope I don't seem to stupid, but I just discovere jEdit and I'm really satisfied so far, but I'd like to use a code assistent and a function-tree (like for AC in Flash?), that would make my work much more easier.
Thanks in advance,
.Florian
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281