jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
How to shortcut temporary splits/unsplits?
Submitted by davmay on Thursday, 10 November, 2005 - 17:25
When the user splits a view, little wedges pointing up, down, left or right are displayed at the upper left-hand corner of the panes. These are very handy in expanding the current pane and then restoring it to its previous configuration. I would like to create keyboard shortcuts for these useful functions, but I haven't been able to identify the commands by looking in the shortcuts list or in the API list. Can anyone tell me what these commands are called, and if they can be activated by a user shortcut?
Scheme indenting
Submitted by dhracer on Thursday, 10 November, 2005 - 11:43
Hi there,

I've been using jedit for a short while now for various languages and on the whole I am very pleased but there is one thing that bugs the hell out of me. If I am writing scheme then it indents the closing bracket for me, but I don't want this. Is there any way to change it?

Example (the # characters represent spaces, current operation is first - desired is second):

(if (= i 10)
##(begin
####(do something)
####)
##)

what I want is:

(if (= i 10)
##(begin
####(do something)
##)
)

Thanks in advance!
Inserting Unicode chars
Submitted by McSwell on Monday, 7 November, 2005 - 15:52
How do I insert a Unicode character, if I know the hex code for it?

For example, U+00E7 (= c cedilla), or U+0BB1 (in the Tamil range).

Things I have tried:

(1) Entering the Unicode codes (e.g. \U+00E7) into the replace field of the find-and-replace dlg. (IMHO, this is the way it *ought* to work; it's what you do in Visual Slickedit, for example.) But instead, this just gives me the string "\U+00E7" in my buffer.

(2) Copying and pasting from the Unicode consortium charts. But the charts are in PDF, and don't seem to support cut-and-paste. (I'm aware of Unibook, a wonderful tool, but for the moment I can't use that, for reasons I won't go into...)

(3) Modifying the code at http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/2115. Specifically, I tried doing a find/replace where the replace string is

(char)Integer.parseInt(0xe7,16)

(and variants thereof); but I get an error msg

Static method parseInt( int, int ) not found in
class'java.lang.Integer

Not being a Java programmer, I'm not sure what to do with this error msg. I suppose I need to install some Java code or other, but I'd really rather not do that (not to mention that this is a *really* clumsy way to do find-and-replace).

(4) Macros | Misc | HexConvert, entering the string
0xE7
(and variants...). But I get the error msg
0xE7 is not a valid hex string.
(If that isn't valid, what is?!!)

(5) The CharacterMap plugin. When I choose the 8859-1 encoding in this plugin's dlg box, I can paste in the c-cedilla (which fortunately happens to be the same hex code as the Unicode c-cedilla). But when I choose UTF-8 encoding, it only gives me the Basic Latin box, and trying to paste in s.t. from the high end of that gives me U+FFFD. And of course Tamil characters (etc.) are not in the Basic Latin part of Unicode.

So how do I enter arbitrary Unicode characters in jEdit? Please note that I'm not trying to set up a keyboard for this, I just have to enter a single character from time to time (or do find-and-replace, where either the 'find' or the 'replace' field contains a Unicode char).
Printing folded text
Submitted by jcaponi on Friday, 4 November, 2005 - 18:09
Is there a way to print just what's displayed on screen when working with folded text?, rather than the complete document?
DAV plugin, can't get webdavs:// to work
Submitted by dj_segfault on Wednesday, 2 November, 2005 - 18:34
I'm trying to open a document over webdavs (webdav over SSL). I tried https:// and webdavs://

Is this known to work or not work?

Thanks.
Converting from Textpad
Submitted by David Hammond on Wednesday, 2 November, 2005 - 17:41
I was a long time user of Textpad until I recently deserted to jEdit (See http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6371 for more information). After a couple months I can report happily that even if Textpad comes out with a fabled version 5 with a bunch of cool new features, I doubt if it will come close to jEdit for me. So if there are any other Textpad refugees out there, I wanted to offer some quick hints for getting started with jEdit.

First of all, I should add a caveat: as a Notepad replacement, Textpad is still better than jEdit, because it opens really fast. As a develpment tool, though, jEdit is well worth the short delay. I should also explain that I use jEdit to develop ColdFusion, ASP.Net, VB.Net and Javascript and have yet to do any Java development with it. Another note: after leaving Textpad I also tried out Eclipse (which has a great ColdFusion plugin) for a while, but couldn't give up the powerful text editing features that Textpad and jEdit have.

Textpad Document Selector:
The Buffer List plugin is an improvement because it groups the files by directory.

Textpad workspaces:
Session plugin offers almost exactly the same functionality, as well as a handy toolbar that integrates with the Buffer List plugin.

Textpad tools:
The Console plugin offers a much more powerful interface for integrating external tools. Read the excellent documentation.

Textpad clip libraries:
I never used this feature much, but the Clipper plugin does the same thing.

Textpad block select mode:
Click and drag while holding down the ctrl key.

Textpad keyboard shortcuts:
Whatever it is, including all plugin commands, you can set up a shortcut for it in jEdit. See Global Options/Shortcuts.

Other plugins that I have quickly found indispensible are:
- Code Browser, for showing a function list using CTags. There is a textpad add-on that creates a popup window that shows a function list with ctags, but it never did the job for me.
- XML and Sidekick, for editing html and xml.

Of course, I'm just scratching the surface!

- David
Selecting lines by clicking on the line number
Submitted by thinsoldier on Monday, 31 October, 2005 - 06:24
How do I enable the selecting of lines by clicking on the line number?

Is there a script that will automatically add a '>' whenever I type in '<'.
or automatically add a second double quote whenever I type the first one
or automatically add a ']' whenever I type a '['?
<> "" [] get it?

are there any addons/scripts that make jedit better for html authoring using VALID XHTML tags. All I've found are stuff that still do html by 1997 standards.

If you haven't guessed, I'm attached by the belly button to BBEdit. At home I have winxp and need to make Jedit mimic all the best functionality of BBEdit.

Before you say 'just learn Jedit', consider that I spend 8.5-10 hours at work using bbedit and maybe 2.5 hours at home using the computer. Not much time to truly learn it in it's default form. I'd prefer to try to just make it behave like BB.
Debugging using Jedit
Submitted by johnnyb1726 on Monday, 31 October, 2005 - 04:40
I was wondering is there any plugin for jedit that will allow you to use breakpoints and stuff like that to debug files using jedit.
beanShell Error when trying to use Jcompiler plugin
Submitted by matazar42 on Thursday, 27 October, 2005 - 08:00
Hey, I just started using Jedit and I keep getting this beanShell Error every time I try to do anything that has to do with the Jcompiler plugin. It looks something like this:

[error] BeanShell: java.lang.NoPointerException
. and goes on forever.

Is this a problem with my jdk or jedit?

Thanks,

Matthew
Searching for Non printing characters
Submitted by northernfrontier on Tuesday, 25 October, 2005 - 21:21
How do you search for non-printing characters? ie: Searching for and replacing all carriage returns with tabs or vice versa...
What happened to insert?
Submitted by jcaponi on Tuesday, 25 October, 2005 - 12:11
I just upgraded the two pc's and two macs I use to Jedit 4.2, and noticed that the "Insert" command was gone from the File menu! Any idea where it went or how I can replace the functionality?

Jedit's terrific - thanks to all involved.
How turn off 'smart indent'?
Submitted by a992400 on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 04:08
Is there a way to disable smart indenting? When I'm at end of a line of code that's indented, and I hit Enter, I'd like the edit cursor to simply go to column 0, and not below the beginning of the line of code.
How to run an HTA file from jEdit?
Submitted by davmay on Wednesday, 19 October, 2005 - 04:25
I would like to be able to run my HTA file from the jEdit editor window. I assume this would require adding a new entry to the Run_Script.bsh macro. Can anybody help?

Thanks.
Run jEdit from Unix without X Windows
Submitted by n0e on Tuesday, 18 October, 2005 - 13:50
Hi all, Is it possible to run jEdit from pure Unix command line, just like vi or emacs, with no nececessary X windows supplied ? If I run jEdit from command line, it always appear error messages like these: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- shell$ jedit Exception in thread "main" [error] main: java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable. [error] main: at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method) [error] main: at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:134) [error] main: at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) [error] main: at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141) [error] main: at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:62) [error] main: at java.awt.Font.initializeFont(Font.java:308) [error] main: at java.awt.Font.(Font.java:344) [error] main: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.SplashScreen.(SplashScreen.java:37) [error] main: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.GUIUtilities.showSplashScreen(GUIUtilities.java:1494) [error] main: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:300) shell$ ------------------------------------------------------------------------- cheers, ~Noe~
AntHelper Plugin
Submitted by khng on Tuesday, 18 October, 2005 - 04:37
Currently I need to download that plugin
but the jedit always said that IO error

Does that plugin really exist on the server?
display help
Submitted by leftyprogrammer on Tuesday, 18 October, 2005 - 00:16
Hi All,

I'm new to JEdit, and one thing i don't like is the vertical line whicn is in the center of the screen..(is it a divider). Is there a way to get rid off that line?
Thanks
Save all current open file list
Submitted by ccapeng on Thursday, 13 October, 2005 - 20:23
I am working on multiple files, but I want to move to other files and come back later on. Can I save current open file list?
Code Browser plugin, function prototypes and function definitions
Submitted by inad on Thursday, 13 October, 2005 - 15:21
Hi there,

When using the Code Browser plugin with C files I find the following annoying quirk. When a file contains both a function prototype and a function definition for the same function, clicking on the function name in Code Browser will sometimes bring you to the prototype instead of the definition. I noticed the determining factor seems to be whether the prototype spans across several lines or not. If it fits into a single line, Code Browser will bring you to the defintion, otherwise it will point you to the prototype.

Typically I am interested in the function definition (for the prototype I can use Code Browser's tool tip for example).

I had a look at the man page for ctags to see if one could force it not to generate tags for prototypes but I couldn't see a way to do it.

Has anybody come across this issue and has a solution for it ?

Thanks
Need macro/plugin to trim trailing spaces on save
Submitted by neo_in_matrix on Thursday, 13 October, 2005 - 02:17
Is there any way to let jEdit trim trailing spaces on save?
Using the send buffer plugin
Submitted by smoothdave on Thursday, 13 October, 2005 - 02:14
I could use some help with the send buffer plugin. Whenever I try to use it, it tells me I have an invalid from address. I'm not sure what the problem could be. I just put a straightforward email address in there.

I would appreciate any help at all.

Dave
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349