jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
XML completion broken
Submitted by DavidVerdin on Friday, 23 January, 2009 - 13:30
Hi With the XML plugin installed, I can't have autocompletion while editing an XSLT file. I typed this: When I type "<" on the empty line, the menu appearing allows me to select a comment, CDATA block or a closing xsl:stylesheet tag. I supposed that XSLT autocompletion was built in the XML plugin. How comes I can't choose between the full set of first level elements allowed in this language? The worst part is that I used it a few years ago and it worked out of the box. Do I have a manipulation to do to allows the full autocompletion be performed?
Starting a java jar from a Beanshell and vice versa
Submitted by bigmoun10 on Friday, 23 January, 2009 - 15:29
Hi

First, I'm new to all this java and beanshell stuff. Please be patient with me.

In general
* all beanshell files are stored on "C:\Program Files\jEdit\macros\xyMacros" and
* all jar files are stored on "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jars".

First problem:
==============
I want to extend jEdit with a beanshell macro, which calls xy.class in xy.jar file. The class in the class file is defined as "public class xy extends JDialog" and the main method is defined the following way:

public static void main(String args[]) {
java.awt.EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
public void run() ...

The jar file also contains other source files like icons and additional class files.

Now, the question is: how can I call the java code from the beanshell macro and what is needed to make it work (e.g. classpath, imports, ...)?

Second problem:
===============
Once the java code is executed and the dialog pops up I would like to execute a beanshell script, let's say myScript.bsh, when a certain button is pushed. The beanshell script then manipulates the textarea of the actual view in jEdit.
Questions here: How can I call beanshell scripts from the java code? Is there anything I need to do regarding the actual view, e.g. storing it in the java class and then give it to the beanshell script as an argument, or is this working right away?

If somebody could answer and give code examples, this would be great!
Thanks in advance!
How Do I Set a Default Edit Mode for a Specific File Extension?
Submitted by Sledged on Sunday, 25 January, 2009 - 04:09
Title says it all. Example: How do I get files with the extension *.foo to automatically have the contents highlighted as though it were a FORTRAN source file?

Thanks,

D
Help Text Size
Submitted by stretch6555 on Sunday, 25 January, 2009 - 04:20
Hi,

Is there any way of increasing the size of the text in the JEdit Help?
It's kind of small.
ctags and jedit
Submitted by tajb on Monday, 26 January, 2009 - 13:40
Hello,
Is there a way to use ctags and jedit across different computers? In other words, I want to open a file from a remote machine on my machine via SFTP, and jump to tags in other files on that remote machine. Maybe I can somehow load a tags file created on that remote machine to my machine? I have a few of the ctags plugins, including the CtagsInterface one. So far none have really explained if this is even possible, let alone how to do it. Thanks.

Tony
Memory usage in Vista
Submitted by oxk4r on Tuesday, 27 January, 2009 - 16:28
Hi, I'm new using Jedit, the best editor I've have found till now, but I have a little problem with the memory usage. Jedit (the javaw.exe process) reaches peaks of more than 175 mb of memory usage with just only one blank document opened. I first tryed it in a virtual machine with Windows Xp 32 bit and there the memory usage was more moderated (about 50 mb). Why this difference? Can I do something in Vista to reduce this ram usage? By other hand, the performance in Vista is much worst (for example when I scroll the contents in a document) than in Xp, how is this possible if it using much more resources in Vista?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Oscar
Remote access to the JEdit server
Submitted by Pekarna on Tuesday, 27 January, 2009 - 18:52
Hi,

I am looking for some editor which would allow simultaneous access from several computers, ie. others would see what one does in his client.

I've noticed that JEdit has client/server architecture and communicates over TCP/IP, so, is it capable of connecting remotely?

Thanks, Ondra
A code reformatter/beautifier for ActionScript
Submitted by oxk4r on Wednesday, 28 January, 2009 - 18:21
If there are plugins for beautify Java, C or Xml, why not for ActionScript? Its a widely used language.
JEdit 4.3pre-16.1 possible to MINIMIZE/CLOSE to TRAY ????
Submitted by yvonne on Wednesday, 28 January, 2009 - 22:20
Hi...great to be here.... I've realized that JEdit does everything I need...!!! fantasic..

So, enjoying the plugins and gettig a bit more skilled...

I WOULD REALLY like to be able to close or minimize and have JE STAY in the tray...

running linux...

possible???

thanks!
Exceedingly slow to start
Submitted by Eric Inazaki on Thursday, 29 January, 2009 - 17:50
I'm trying out jedit 4.2final on OpenSUSE 10.3 and jedit takes forever to start (maybe tens of minutes). It looks like I've tried it with the java 1.5 and 1.6 runtimes
(1.5 initially, 1.6 currently based on running "java -version").

Also the one time I actually did anything with jedit I noticed the help was very unresponsive.

It seems to do okay on XP and OS X so I'm not quite ready to pitch it. But I think jedit is going to be a mostly linux app, for me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong (and how to fix it) or what I should do next to try to figure out this problem?

Also, is there a way to search these forums?

TIA
eric

PS I just started jedit ten minutes ago and I still haven't got past the splash screen. I think this is typical behavior (usually, I'll give it a (one) minute to start then kill it if it hasn't. I've done a lot of killing with jedit).
icon-packs: Howto install, create new, etc..
Submitted by jdlx on Saturday, 31 January, 2009 - 14:38
Hi,

i was searching the web and this forum about any usefull info on installation and creation of icon-packs and/or whole themes.. with little success.
The wiki article on icons[1] seems to be dead/empty, and other resources, like turdheads icon-pack[2] and installation guide[3] plain don't work for me.

So could anyone help me on these questions:

1. How/where do ypu install icon-packs?
2. Is there a tutorial or guidelines on how to create a icon.pack?
3. I suppose the themes (Metal,CDE/Motif,Mac OS) are not a part of jEdit, but of Java's Swing, ist that correct? If so, is there a simple way to change the window color (not text-area!) of a given theme (in my case MacOS)?

Bottom line is: i'd like to tweak jEdits appearance to be more mac-like.. spending hours per day in front of an editor which you love by it's functionality, yet almost hate for it's visual appearance has been nagging me for a long time.. Eye-wink

thx, for any hint..
jc

[1]http://community.jedit.org/cgi-bin/TWiki/view/Main/CustomIcons
[2]http://www.turdhead.com/downloads/OSXTurdheadIconPack.jar
[3]http://www.turdhead.com/2007/09/27/going-native-with-jedit-new-download-makes-this-editor-shine/
Making Key Words stand out
Submitted by Ciwan on Monday, 2 February, 2009 - 21:22
Hi guys

Can someone please tell me why the JEdit I have downloaded and installed doesn't change the colour of words such as import - if - else - private - int - boolean - public ...etc

Can someone help me with this ... PLEASE

I'd greatly appreciate any help given.

Thank You
i/o popups
Submitted by Frankly33 on Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 - 00:22
I am new to jEdit, and it keeps popping up I/O errors that aren't affecting me. How do I stop these from popping up?
Jedit launch hotkey ctrl+alt+j (c+a+j)
Submitted by KimBastin on Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 - 08:49
On WinXP, jEdit 4.3pre16 has hijacked the key combination ctrl+alt+j (c+a+j) as a keyboard shortcut to launch itself. I need this combination for something else, but it seems to be undocumented as a jEdit hotkey and I can't find any way to change or disable it.

I found a couple of similar queries on this forum, and the answer given was to open the jEdit shortcuts (.lnk's) and edit the properties (the field 'Shortcut key' under the Shortcut tab, presumably). I have three jEdit shortcuts — on the desktop, the quicklaunch bar and the Start menu, and on all of them the shortcut key is set to 'None'.

So my question is, where is the c+a+j hotkey combination that launches jEdit stored, and how can I change or disable it?

Thanks
Kim
Run macro in a specific EditPane split screen
Submitted by kircheis on Friday, 6 February, 2009 - 10:16
Someone asked something like this but got no answer.
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1688

I'm working with some old Cobol code full of "go to" instructions, so I wrote a macro that would take me to the corresponding place in code so I don't have to look for it manually.

I have jEdit screen split vertically in two, working on the same file. I tried adapting my macro to go to the next pane and search from there instead of the first one and then set the focus back again to the first pane.

I tried using view.nextTextArea(), but only the cursor go to the next pane, the macro still runs on the first pane. Then I tried using EditPane setBuffer, but it also runs on the same side of the split screen. Is there some other class with the methods I need or am I doing something really wrong?
Mode woes
Submitted by haama on Friday, 6 February, 2009 - 17:09
Hi all, I've gotten a new Mode to work for the most part, but am still having trouble with Auto-Indent and RegExp tags. By the way, I'm using jEdit v4.3pre16, java 1.6u11, and Windows (XP). Auto-Indent: I'm going for begin/if stuff else/elseif more stuff endif/end So I tried It indents properly, but it doesn't unindent. Narrowing it down, the UnindentThisLine tag is working exactly like the IndentNextLines tag. For example, will indent the lines following "else" or "end". I thought it was a bug, but UnindentThisLine works prefectly with java mode. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, though. The props and main rule set is %% %g [\d.+-]+[ef] RegExp tags: As you can see in the rules above, I have a digits RegExp tag and a SEQ - neither one of them works. For digits, I'm trying to display decimals and negatives with the same highlight as numbers, using DIGIT_RE="[^%][.-](?=[0-9])". The decimal and negative display as Operators (which I have them defined as later) in every case I can think of ".4", "4.4", "-4", "423.543-45". Tried it as [.-](?=[0-9]) and that didn't work either. The SEQ_REGEXP tag is supposed to display anything like "%.3f" as a solitary operator. Instead, it displays the "%." as operators, the number(s) as digit, and when I type in the last letter the number and letter become null. I've tried this with and without the hash character to no avail. I know I'm looking over something, but I can't tell what and have exhausted my possibilities. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
how to print?
Submitted by Eric Inazaki on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 16:45
What needs to be done in order to get jedit to print?

When I try to print jedit says "no print service found"
however, I can print from everywhere else on my system
(lpr, firefox, etc). I'm using open suse 10.3 and jedit
4.2 and 4.3, same problem both ways.

On an unrelated subject, is there a way to search the
forum?

TIA,
eric
OS X: Gets stuck on 'run startup scripts' and is generally screwed!
Submitted by altonator on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 20:49
I'm using 4.3pre16 on OS X Tiger and it's been fine for ages, but now it's done all screwed up! When I start jEdit the startup pane gets stuck on 'run startup scripts'. jEdit pretty much loads, but only some of my views open (I had about 5 views open before). And if I try to create a new view I get an error (will paste the errors below).

It was doing this for a few days, and now it's got even worse... if I open the file system browser it just gets stuck trying to list the directories. And now jEdit wont even open files, it just fails to load them.

I haven't updated Java or jEdit, it just started going a bit nuts all by itself!

I know nothing about Java, so I'm hoping that someone else will be able to make more sense of these error messages than I can!..

Actually, I'll save them somewhere and link to them instead of pasting a whole load of crap here...
http://www.adamalton.co.uk/jedit_errors/
Ta da!

Any help, ideas or guidance greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Altonator
Changing Jedits name in the MacOS menubar
Submitted by tomasio on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 21:11
Can anyone give me a hint how to change the name of Jedit in the menubar of MacOS 10.5.6? I just installed JEditpre16 and since then it shows "org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit" instead of "Jedit" in the menubar. I consider this real ugly as the name in the menubar should be the app name and no cryptic java class path (or whatever that is).
jedit with windows 7
Submitted by h3pa on Wednesday, 11 February, 2009 - 08:32
Hi, i'm using jedit within windows 7 beta. When i start jedit the whole system freezes. The only thing i can do is to press the power button in this case. jdk-version: java verson "1.6.0_12" Java SE Runtime Environment Java HotSpot Client VM Do you guys think it's the jdk version 1.6.0_12, or does anyone have experience running jedit with it? Or do you think it's the OS? ps.. i installed jedit with the native windows installer. should i try the installation based on JRE?
User login
Browse archives
« January 2009 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   95567