jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Plugin or Macro?
Submitted by tj.rothwell on Wednesday, 9 July, 2008 - 18:22
I was wondering if there is a way to change the behavior when editing a file that was updated/modified outside the editor.

Instead of a notification to reload or ignore the change, could there be one that would allow the user to merge the two?

In order to do this, could it be done as a macro tying in jdiff? Or would you need a plugin to override the event on how to handle changed files?
Error Message
Submitted by audstune on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 20:01
Hi...I installed jedit on my desktop and love it. But I tried to run it on my laptop and I get an error message: When Java Virtual Machine Launcher tries to launch, the error says: Could not find the main class.

Can anyone help with this? I need to use my laptop on a trip to update my xml file.

Thanks!
PHPParser: removing check for ?>
Submitted by Max Headroom on Sunday, 13 July, 2008 - 16:11
Hi
In Drupal, it is recommend not to close PHP code with a '?>'. as not to clash with other modules. PHP code works fine with out it.

Is there a way to remove the check for '?>' from the parser?
Line Height Correctioin
Submitted by _HI_ on Tuesday, 15 July, 2008 - 18:42
when I did install jedit with openjdk in fedora, "Anti Aliased" visibility of source code was more qualited and beauty than with j2se package, but there was another problem , fonts height is not enoutg ( such as Monospaced, Dejavu Sans Mono ) and sometimes underline simbols disappears and after appears.
for example "mysql_connect" functioin is shown as "mysql connect". is posible to add option such as netbeans 5.5.1 has "Line Height Correctioin" in "Editor Settings" Options, or can anyone fix this problem in jedit with alternative way?
Show CR LF
Submitted by yocec on Wednesday, 16 July, 2008 - 13:21
Is there a way to show end line symbol ? carriage return and/or line feed

When I open a file, I need to know end line caracter : LF only or CRLF

Is ther any way to do that ?

Thanks
Component or piece of code for search and replace text multiline with java
Submitted by andremonio on Wednesday, 16 July, 2008 - 18:29
Hi everybody.

Do you have any component or piece of code for search and replace text multiline with java?

I have installed the jEdit and their sources, but it is huge and complex, and I only need this functionality to replace many of the type TXT files.

Thanks!

Best regards.

---- André Campanini - Brazil
jEdit licence when using textarea
Submitted by blafountain on Wednesday, 16 July, 2008 - 23:10
Hello, I stumbled across jedit's capability to be embedded in a swing application using TextArea. This product is a perfect fit for what i need. The only thing is my application is not going to be released as GPL. I was wondering if there was any consideration to make the jedit-textarea.jar under a LGPL style license while jedit as a whole under the GPL.

I would need to make some additions to the TextArea that i would love to contribute back, but with a GPL license i will have to either build my own or find another (probably purchase, i wasn't able to find another product equal to jedit that was LGPL).

thanks for your time.
Real full-screen functionality
Submitted by zorglub76 on Thursday, 17 July, 2008 - 09:05
Is it possible to create a full screen functionality? I mean **real** full screen functionality (not like that Full Screen macro).
My workspace is shrinking, since I use buffer tabs and docked windows, and my notebook's screen is 14" one. So full screen functionality would be very handy for me..
Find Highlighted
Submitted by abc123 on Thursday, 17 July, 2008 - 10:05
When tracing through code I find it's quite useful to highlight a variable and then execute a key stroke to find the next occurrence of it (i.e. what can set the variable) or a different key stroke to find the previous occurrence of it. It would be particularly useful if when highlighting something, jedit yanked it into an area of memory, such that if you then changed to a different buffer, you'd still be able to execute your key stroke but find the word you'd highlighted in the previous buffer.

Does anyone else think this would be useful? I can nearly achieve this using some macros but I'd like to see this feature as a standard part of jedit.
Edit window locks after switching to another app and back.
Submitted by ttmrichter on Friday, 18 July, 2008 - 03:37
This isn't a showstopper, but it's really annoying. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's something bad in my setup, so I'm posting here first to see if this can be resolved before reporting it formally as a bug.

Setup:
- jEdit 4.3pre14
- Ubuntu 8.04
- Java 1.6u7
- Plugins:
- AStyle Beautifier, Beauty, BufferList, BufferTabs, Code2HTML, Column Ruler, Common Controls, Console, CtagsSideKick, Editor Scheme, ErrorList, FTP, GnuRegexp, Hex Edit, Hyperlinks, Info Viewer, JavaScript Shell, JDiff Plugin, JTidy, Latest Version Check, MacroManager, Project Viewer, QuickNotepad, RecentBufferSwitcher, RFCReader, RubyPlugin, SideKick, SQL, SshConsole, SuperAbbrevs, SuperScript, Syntax Helper, TextTools, WhiteSpace, XercesPlugin, XInsert and XML

All of the plugins are at the latest known version according to the Plugin Manager.

With this setup, I experience some very bizarre behaviour. Whenever I switch away from jEdit, when I come back the edit window will simply not respond to the keyboard at all. Mouse activity works fine. I can get context menus. I can cut and paste using them. The editing window seems to be working fine in every respect except that it ignores the keyboard. To make the keyboard work, all I have to do is go to any other window -- say the console window or my side kick window or the project manager window -- and click inside it, giving it the focus. Then if I click back in the edit window everything works perfectly.

To me this smells of some kind of plug-in interaction problem, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what's clashing where. I've tried disabling various plug-ins here and there, but nothing seems to get rid of this problem. Still, with this many plug-ins loaded it's hard to figure out what combination is the magic one, so I'm asking for those more experienced with jEdit to lend me a hand with this.

What can I do to better characterize this problem and, even better, what can I do to get rid of it?
resizing and relocating Dockable Window
Submitted by md9119 on Friday, 18 July, 2008 - 07:51
Hello,

I am writing my first plugin. I need to resize and relocate my plugin window. How do I do this? Neither of these two below do what I want:
view.setLocation(x,y); // relocates main editor
view.getDockableWindowManager().getDockableWindow(SideViewPlugin.NAME).setLocation(x, y); // this moves the JPanel to x,y _within_ the Dockable Window.

What I want to do is to move and resize the whole plugin window. How do I accomplish that?

Thank you,
Maciej
processKeyEvent method in KeyEventWorkaround class
Submitted by funa_take on Friday, 18 July, 2008 - 14:18
I have some questions for processKeyEvent method in KeyEventWorkaround class.

Q1
case KeyEvent.KEY_PRESSED:
default:
if (!evt.isMetaDown()) {
if (evt.isControlDown() && evt.isAltDown()) {
lastKeyTime = 0L;
}

Why lastKeytime = 0 ,when Ctrl and Alt are downed.

Q2
case KeyEvent.KEY_TYPED:
if(((modifiers & InputEvent.CTRL_MASK) != 0
^ (modifiers & InputEvent.ALT_MASK) != 0)
|| (modifiers & InputEvent.META_MASK) != 0)
{
return null;
}

Why is it "xor" instead of "or"?

Whren I press Alt and Ctrl and "p key" on Keybord Tester, "CA+p p" is shown in TextField on Linux.
To solve this problem, the following code was compiled.

case KeyEvent.KEY_PRESSED:
default:
if (!evt.isMetaDown()) {
if (evt.isControlDown() && evt.isAltDown()) {
//lastKeyTime = 0L;
}

case KeyEvent.KEY_TYPED:
if(((modifiers & InputEvent.CTRL_MASK) != 0
|| (modifiers & InputEvent.ALT_MASK) != 0)
|| (modifiers & InputEvent.META_MASK) != 0)
{
return null;
}

Does this code have the problem?
ColdFusion comments / changing jEdit comments
Submitted by Todd on Tuesday, 22 July, 2008 - 20:04
I'm working on some ColdFusion files and when I do the standard c+e c+c for a comment, it inserts an HTML comment <!-- comment -->, not a CF comment <!--- comment ---> with three hyphens. Is it possible to change this?

Thanks,

Todd
Using 4.3 pre14
Safely override php.xml
Submitted by kendowns on Wednesday, 23 July, 2008 - 13:35
Hello!

I have added a custom rule to /usr/jedit/modes/php.xml so that certain heredoc blocks are delegated to Javascript syntax coloring. I would like to distribute this change to users of my framework, but it does not seem like the Right Thing to directly modify this file.

Is there a defined way to add things to these default syntax coloring files without directly modifying the original file? Can I put a copy of it in my ./jedit/modes file? Is there some other mechanism for doing this?

TIA...
Modeline in jEdit?
Submitted by kLy on Thursday, 24 July, 2008 - 11:24
Is there something like the modeline function of vim in jEdit, or something available through a plugin? It's just a real pain when specific buffer settings aren't saved and you have to set them each time when opening the file
Autosave not working?
Submitted by ewiener on Monday, 28 July, 2008 - 18:06
It doesn't seem like autosave is working on my jEdit installation. If it is, I can't find any of the files it's creating. Is there any way I an find out if its working?
Block Insert Broken?
Submitted by herr_jon on Tuesday, 29 July, 2008 - 20:00
Using block insert, using + , to select regions of a file for txt insertion used to work but now creates irregular areas. The way I've been using this feature is in the columns before or after existing text I select a zero width column then type new contents in that collumn. What used to happen was each character would be equally spaced from the left hand margin - what happens now is the spacing is variable. Can this be fixed? Thanks, Jon
Searching a temporary buffer
Submitted by dcox on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 13:21
Is a search of a temporary buffer without actually physically opening the buffer onto the user's screen possible?
jEdit No Longer Loads in Vista
Submitted by dustinfineout on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 14:29
I've seen this reported before by users who installed a Windows update and subsequently were unable to open jEdit. I did not install any updates, though, just tried to go to work this morning with no luck.

I installed jEdit with the Windows installer about 3 months ago on this machine, which is running Vista Home Premium, and have had no problems until today. Now, when I try to open jEdit, a javaw.exe process is spawned and hangs. This happens whether I run through the installed shortcut, directly run the exe, or run from command line, and regardless of whether I run as administrator. I've uninstalled jEdit to try different releases, and I cleared all temporary and application data and rebooted after each uninstall. The same thing happens regardless what I try. Also the latest Windows update I've installed was on the 20th and I tried uninstalling that (didn't help).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've used jEdit almost exclusively for about 2 years now - it's become a very powerful tool for me so I'd hate to have to move back to other editors.
missing encoding big5 on xp on global settings
Submitted by kitsguru on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 22:26
I am running xp professional and have need to use big5 encoding however it is not an option under global encodings, in fact there are several encodings that appear to be missing but this is the only one I need.

I have de-installed and then re-installed jedit 1.43pre14 to no avail. I have search microsoft and the web to see if I could find anything relevant but came up with nothing useful. Other programs on the same machine should the big5 encoding option.

Any ideas what might be the problem?
User login
Browse archives
« July 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348