jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Save error
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 17 May, 2004 - 21:02
Often when I try to save my file (normal txt file at least) I get the response:
Cannot save: java.io.IOException: Rename failed: C:\blabla
So when this happens I have to do Save as and then give it a new name. Very disturbing.
Why is this happening, please help me...
/Peter
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
Next time try this: Open a
by Skeeve on Fri, 30/09/2005 - 10:41
Next time try this:

Open a command window, Change to the directory where you wanted to save and take a look at all the files stored.

I suspect it's a filename issue. AFAIK jEdit first renames the existing file, then saves the current one. If the filename already exists, rename will fail.

Show us all the filenames you found in the directory and tell us the current filename and maybe we will spot the problem.

Almost. The default behaviou
by Vampire on Sat, 01/10/2005 - 01:27
Almost.
The default behaviour of jEdit is a two-stage-save.
Thereby the file is saved to a temporary file first ("#<filename>#save#"). Then the old file is deleted and the temporary file is renamed to the intended filename.
That is, because if there is an error while saving the file, the original, last saved, file is still available.
In some distinct situations while the renaming of the temporary file, there could be problems and then that Exception is thrown. If you want to see it in the source, look at BufferIORequest.save() and FileVFS._rename()
But you can deactivate this two-stage-save to direct saving in the global options. That could help with your problem.

Same problem
by Todd on Tue, 27/06/2006 - 15:33
I'm getting this same error when saving a file, and as others have noted, it seems random. Sometimes the error will appear, sometimes it won't, and waiting a little while and attempting to save again will often work. Here are the files in the directory:
  • #style.css#save#
  • style.css
  • style.css~
  • #style.css#
Would it make any difference that the files are stored within a web directory of a local ColdFusion server? I'm running WinXP SP2, jEdit 4.2final, and the latest Java runtimes. And yes, disabling the two-stage save does eliminate this problem, but I'd prefer it to leave it on if possible. Is there any other way around this problem? Thanks! (Btw, I'm a new community member... have beein using jEdit for several months, now, and I'm never going back to Dreamweaver, which I used for several years before that.)
Same here
by Anonymous on Mon, 18/07/2005 - 02:06
I am experiencing the same problem and haven't been able to locate an answer that deals with this elsewhere (not to say it doesn't exist as it probably does). It really is kind of random, but basically after saving a few times it throws a fit and gives the exact same error. What is causing this and how can it be fixed? I have the latest version of the JVM installed (recently upgraded since I wondered if being on 1.4.2 was the problem).

Shaun Carlson
shaun.carlson@gmail.com
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348