jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
What's gone wrong with jEdit?
Submitted by tremolo on Friday, 7 July, 2006 - 14:52

I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. After years of being very satisfied with jEdit 4.1 (I once upgraded to 4.2 but went back to 4.1 because it had had various features that I liked removed), my need for support for PHP5 syntax finally prompted me to try upgrading to jEdit 4.3. I'm baffled - it seems to be several steps down from 4.1. 4.1 was great: I'd select a plug-in, download it, and it would just work straight away. However, this time:

1. the XML plugin is behaving extremely erratically. It won't autoclose tags for me, doesn't pop up the autocomplete menu, and it only says anything is allowed at the caret position after I've already placed the opening '<'.
  2. the CodeBrowser plugin identifies classes, functions, etc, but doesn't allow me to jump to them - making it essentially useless.
  3. jEdit doesn't seem to remember all my settings any more: I like to have a search bar at the top of the screen, but I have to open it from the menu every time with 4.3. Likewise, BufferTabs is erratic - sometimes it remembers to open, sometimes it doesn't and I have to open it.
  4. the jEdit Launcher thing is gone. Why? What possible reason could there be for reducing jEdit's functionality like that? I know this went in 4.2 - it was one of the reasons I went back to 4.1 - but I'd hoped that, like the soft-wrap thing, someone would put it back in 4.3. What logic is there to removing features as you go along?

...So now I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. I'm so used to and comfortable with jEdit that the idea of trying to find (and start from scratch with) an alternative is boring beyond belief, but as it stands, no version of jEdit (4.1, 4.2, or 4.3) seems to meet my (surely not particularly avant-garde) needs - ie. editing PHP5 code and HTML. Can anyone help me fix the problems above? Or, better still, does anyone have a PHP5 edit mode for jEdit 4.1?

Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click 'Save settings' to activate your changes.
launching jedit
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 07/07/2006 - 20:36
I don't know why the launcher is gone. But there are options to help launching jedit in other ways:

1. Create a batchfile to start jedit easy at the command line. See here .
2. This batchfile can be placed in the SendTo directory (usually in the userprofile), so any file can be opened from "Send to" in the context menu.
3. Take a look at iEdit Launcher-like program .

Robert
problems
by Robert Schwenn on Fri, 07/07/2006 - 20:21
Please keep in mind that 4.3 is a development version. Unfortunately it seems that You updated to jedit 4.3pre5 which is out for downlowd since two (!) days. There must be a number of plugins, that don't work before they will be updated - hope in the next days or weeks (check periodically: Recently Updated Plugins).

Yesterday I updated to 4.3pre5 and CodeBrowser plugin behaves like You described it - seems like wait for an update of the plugin.

Furthermore check the following points:
1. Have You done a complete reinstall? It's not enough to substitute jedit.jar. Modes may not work ...
1. Delete (or rename) jedit's settings directory. This already helped me after strong problems.
2. Be sure that no file in programdir and settingsdir is readonly an You have the right permissions
3. Did You update all the plugins to 4.2/4.3?

Of course You can download the stable version 4.2.

Robert
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349