jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
How to associate files with jEdit ?
Submitted by lasterix on Wednesday, 8 September, 2004 - 08:09
Hi,

I 'd like to know how to associate ".txt" or others, files with jEdit (I want to open the file with jEdit when I double clic on it).

Thanks.
why do the docks always open?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 7 September, 2004 - 02:03
i have a shortcut key (f4) set to run an AntHelper task. i also have AntFarm docked on the left and Console and ErrorList docked on the bottom. if i have all docked windows closed and push the f4, the AntFarm and Console popup open.

is there some way to suppress this?

There is abolutely no reason for the left dock to open. I have to close it everytime at the cost of extra mouse work. And I would actually only like to see ErrorList if there are errors. Otherwise, nothing should come up in the bottom dock either. (However, if the Console must open, i can live with that, probably.)

Thanks for any and all help!!!
use special keys for macro execution
Submitted by bjoern_jedit on Monday, 6 September, 2004 - 14:00
Hi, it might sound a little crazy (although I have
serious applications in mind) but I need to
get jedit to make a backslash when typing
the following two keys at the same time:

Left-Windows-special-key german-umlaut

I managed to get a backslash when typing

A+n for example. However the windows special
key seems not do work for that nor do the
german special keys.

I would really appreciate any suggestions !
How to activate the line or marking of the block of code within { ... } ?
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 5 September, 2004 - 14:09
I have seen in some of the 'screenshots' in that the code enclosed in { } is marked by a vertical line drawing from '{' to '}'. I have searched in the global options but couldnt find a way to activate it.

Thanx in advance for your advice
Ensuring a single instance
Submitted by takisd on Saturday, 4 September, 2004 - 04:36
Hi

i just upgraded to 4.2 and have noticed that opening a file opens a new jedit instance. this never occurred in 4.1 - or i set something for it to keep the same window. either way, i can't figure out how to get it to use one instance only. the second window always has the same list of documents opened previously and adds the new one. i open docs mainly from the nautilus browser with the open with popup command on a file.

i only noticed this since 4.2.
i'm using debian unstable. i installed jedit using the java installer.

any suggestions on how to stop this behaviour would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Takis
License of Mode Files ?
Submitted by llothar on Wednesday, 1 September, 2004 - 06:25
Hello, under what license are the mode files ?
I want to use them in another editor. Is this okay ?

What's about only using the "wisdom" in this files ?
Opening and Saving Files From Windows Network
Submitted by AForgue on Tuesday, 31 August, 2004 - 13:53
I just starting trying jEdit and was halted immediately when I went to open a file from a computer on my network. It was not initially apparent to me how I could go about opening a network file from the file broswer without first mapping a drive. Am I doing something wrong? Is mapping a drive the only way to open files from a network computer?

Thanks!
Aaron
jEdit as external editor for file manager
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 30 August, 2004 - 09:24
Hello!
What is error during to make an attempt to open file in jEdit from file manager on Windows 2000: "Could not find the main class. Program will exit." ???
How to reduce a function body
Submitted by Anonymous on Sunday, 29 August, 2004 - 11:44
How to reduce the body of a function in the text area, in order to have something like that: "+ void my_function(void truc) {" <== all the body of the function is hidden here and when you click on the "+" the body expands. PS: excuse me for this horrible english, i'm french...
How to invoke GDB in an independent console window ?
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 28 August, 2004 - 14:40
Is it possible to invoke GDB (or any other command line application)
in its own independent console window using the console plugin ?
If I invoke GDB directly in console it returns immediately...
Thanks.
build.xml: many errors
Submitted by backspaces on Saturday, 28 August, 2004 - 00:35
I'm sure I'm doing a dumb thing, but ... I've got the xml plugin which works great for xhtml editing. I've just loaded a downloaded ant build.xml file, however, and there are lots of errors noted.

The error list shows <project>, <target>, ... and the other ant xml keywords as being not recognized. But the xml insert side panel shows these as being just fine. I believe this means the ant dtd/catalog is known by the plugin.

Here's a picture: http://backspaces.net/files/jEdit001.jpg

So what dumb thing am I doing wrong?!

Thanks...

Owen

Auto-completion and ColdFusion
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 27 August, 2004 - 18:53
I've recently switched from HomeSite to jEdit and while I'm *really* happy with jEdit there's one thing that bugs me. For some reason the auto-completion for both HTML and ColdFusion doesn't work for me (jEdit 4.2pre14) if the file extension is cfm. If I save something as .html it works, but of course I would like having both tags and HTML expanded. One (stupid) question: are edit modes resposible for tag completion (because I know they govern syntax highlighting)? If yes, is the edit mode that shipped with 4.2pre14 broken? If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know...
Folding & Python
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 27 August, 2004 - 04:10
I don't like how the only descent way I can fold with python is using the indent mode of folding. The problem with it is that it is greedy on ending whitespaces. Example:

def a():
____pass

print 'hi'

If I fold a, I get:

def a(): [2 lines]
print 'hi'

What I want to get is:

def a(): [1 line]

print 'hi

This becomes very annoying because if you use alot of folding it will look very busy, when I'd like to keep the extra newlines/whitespaces after each fold. Is there a way to configure jedit to leave these ending whitespaces?

If not, could anyone help me write a regex line for how to get the configurable folding plugin to work the way I want it? (its a bit tricky because of how python handles whitespaces)

Thank you!
Help me, Progress 4GL have embedded comments? Is it working in JEdit?
Submitted by Wladi on Wednesday, 25 August, 2004 - 20:43
Help me, Progress 4GL have embedded comments? Is it working in JEdit?
PS: sorry for my english
Saving file changes permissions
Submitted by jrsupplee on Tuesday, 24 August, 2004 - 10:07
I am using Jedit 4.1Final on windows and whenever I save a file that is located on a Linux box it removes executable permissions from the file. So if my file is a script and had permissions 755, after I save it, it will have 644. Is there a fix for this behavior?
Drag and drop to open
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 18:52
I'm using jEdit v4.1 final on Windows XP.

Is it possible to open files by dragging them into the application window? I get the "not allowed" curser when I try to do this. Thanks.

-Adam
Adding new dtd or xsd for autocompletion
Submitted by dverdin on Friday, 20 August, 2004 - 10:01
Hi,

I want to use autocompletion in Jedit for XML documents.
These documents are used in cocoon to create forms. They have their own namespaces and dtd or xsd.
I would like to use the autocompletion fonction, but I don't know how to tell this to jedit. I guess I need to have local copies of the dtds somewhere on my system, and declare it to Jedit. How can I do it ?

Another question, probably related : I don't understand what are the catalogs in the XML plugin, what is their usage, and what kind of file they are supposed to be.

Well, it's probably dumb questions, but I'm quite new to Jedit, and I need to learn...
Folding/Unfolding Element Nodes in XML-Document
Submitted by Michael36 on Friday, 20 August, 2004 - 07:48
Hello,

folding/unfolding for element nodes does not work in my XML-Document although there is one menu item ('Folding|Collapse/Expand Fold') provided for this purpose. How can I configure jEdit to do this job?

Any help wellcome,

Greetings

Michael
Viewing XML Document As Tree
Submitted by Michael36 on Friday, 20 August, 2004 - 07:28
Hello,

I'm editing an XML Document with jEdit. How can I display the document in a tree?
There seems to be no menu item for this purpose. I've already installed various XML-libraries ('XML','XML-Indenter','xml-commons-resolver.jar').

Help would be great.

Greetings

Michael
better c syntax highlighting?
Submitted by kimjim on Wednesday, 18 August, 2004 - 22:12
Hello,
I just started to learn a bit C. Is there a mode file, plugin or something that would give me better C syntax highlighting in jEdit? I use jEdit everyday, mostly for html stuff, and I would like to use it for my C lessons too, but I find the default C highlighting a bit disapointing. For example, function names are not highlighted at all, although there is a setting for functions in the syntax highlighting options. I would love to have different syntax highlighting for function names and variable names, like in SubEthaEdit, if anybody knows this editor.
Sorry if this is a FAQ. I tried to use the search form to find an answer, but it doesn't use search strings shorter than 2 chars, so I can't search for something like "c mode".
Thanks, kimjim
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83283