jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
File Associations, under Windows
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 2 April, 2004 - 06:01
Hey - I use jEdit as my primary editor (I'm a recent convert), and I love it to bits. There hasn't been a single feature that I've needed that I couldn't find in the core application or in a plugin, and it runs remarkably well, for a Java program.

I've been wondering if there's any way to make jEdit the default application for opening a whole bunch of file types, on my Windows machine, without having to do it manually or write a program for it - having to do it one file type at a time would become painfully tedious.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Smiling
import text file at cursor location
Submitted by mbl on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 21:00
Dear friends,

Have been using Jedit for a few days, and do like it a lot.

As of yet, however, can't seem to find a way to import complete short text files at the cursor location. These would be typical brief code files or skeletons, or comment files, located at some directory, usually not the current directory.

If it's not possible, would also appreciate to know that, so as not to keep trying to find the feature.

Opening a file to Copy-and-Paste is what am doing, but is somewhat cumbersome when one wants the complete short file inserted at the cursor location.

Thanks for any help afforded.

-mbl-
HTML Syntax Highlighting
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 04:54
Hi All,

Any can give me idea how to use the syntax highlighting for HTML or other in Jedit? I’m struggle finding how to use this feature.

I’m downloaded the jEdit 2.2.1 Syntax Package and I don’t know how to install this package.

Thanks in advance
Jython Macro debug mode (how to set options!)
Submitted by WGW on Tuesday, 30 March, 2004 - 04:43
I have been trying to write jython macros. One thing I have not understood properly is whether there is a macro debug mode for jython macros. I can't seem to find any documentation on it. I did find the options file, with the following entry.

options.jython.python.verbose.values=debug comment message warning error

But I'm not sure what to do with it (I'm assuming I should put it in the properties file.)

Should I put it in as is? Will it allow macro debugging?

Many questions!
JDiff Plugin 1.3.2 is broken; how do I get 1.4.2 to work?
Submitted by Champ on Saturday, 27 March, 2004 - 23:52
Having upgraded from 4.2pre9 with JDiff 1.3.1 plug-in (on Windows), I was disappointed that 4.2pre11 with JDiff 1.3.2 does not work (error shows Beanshell stack trace) Sadly, I could not find 1.3.1 anymore to revert this upgrade!

I have since discovered JDiff 1.4.2 (plug-in) upgrade but cannot seem to plug this in manually either under the program directory or my user settings. The Plugin manager still shows 1.3.2 even after removing and re-installing!!

I am obviously missing something but upgrading should surely not be so obscure!

TIA anyone? Alan
Where do I put the SQL Files...
Submitted by Gary Furash on Friday, 26 March, 2004 - 14:31
I'm sure this is obvious, but...
When I'm making the XML file for configuring my data sources for SQL plugins, where do I store it (the directory) and what should I call the file (something.xml). Should I have a separate xml file for each data source?
Missing Mac OS Plugin?
Submitted by OceanEric on Thursday, 25 March, 2004 - 19:18
Hi!
I am new to jEdit and XML, and when launching the editor, I keep getting the following message: "Mac OS Plugin requires a newer version of Java (MRJ 99.0)."
I've been searching for some time now but without any success.
Can anyone help?
Thanx
OceanEric
can´t make jedit proxy settings work
Submitted by bpfurtado on Wednesday, 24 March, 2004 - 11:30
Hi folks,
Unfortunately I can´t make my jedit proxy settings work, I´m really sure the all data are correct (host, port, username, password). Have anyone experiencied similar problem?
Problems with latex tools
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 24 March, 2004 - 09:37
When I try compile my .tex document using the latex tool plugin I get this error:
> %kill
No process is currently running
> cd "/home/amigo/Documents/p2"
> pdflatex -c-style-errors '/home/amigo/Documents/p2/master.tex'
Working directory is /home/amigo/Documents/p2
/usr/bin/pdflatex: unrecognized option `-c-style-errors'
Try `/usr/bin/pdflatex --help' for more information.
Process pdflatex exited with code 1

do anyone know why it isn't working?

I am using jedit 4.2 pre 8

/cs amigo
cp852 encoding
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 22 March, 2004 - 15:00
I would like to replace my DOS source code editor with JEdit. However, I need to keep the OEM codepage 852 encoding because my other colleagues still want to use the former DOS application to edit the same sources. I tried to Save a file with cp852 encoding but some special characters are replaced with question marks after reload. Is Cp852 supported? Which font should be set for the text? Could anyone suggest any free or shareware editor to solve my problem?

Thanks a lot
jEdit, FTP and Zope
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 22 March, 2004 - 07:23
Moin,

I try to use jEdit and the FTP Plugin for remote editing auf Zopefiles. I can read and write the files without any problem but after saving a file the zope object type changes. I open a "Zope Page Template" and after saving it is a "Zope Document". I tried it with other editors (emacs, xemacs) and that works as expected.

Is there any known issue with jEdit 4.1final?
Matthias
Why aren't the plugins downloading?
Submitted by hesterloli on Sunday, 21 March, 2004 - 15:52
I get the list of available plugins but the download times out. JEdit 4.1 final. Thanks.
abbreviations import-export
Submitted by chagel on Sunday, 21 March, 2004 - 13:57
Hi,
is there any way to import / export abbreviations?

I have come to use them quite a bit and have to reinstall my machine and would like to cary them over.

Thanks
Chagel
Is anybody using 'First line glob' for edit modes?
Submitted by MjH on Saturday, 20 March, 2004 - 18:35
I tried using a 'first line glob' entry in 4.1, and it worked fine (the proper edit mode was selected when loading a file that matched the glob). Now, in 4.2 (both pre9 and pre10) it doesn't appear to be working. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

Thanks... Maury.
scrennshot configs
Submitted by marius on Thursday, 18 March, 2004 - 21:36
hi,

it's the first time for me to post here, so hello everyone!

my question is if you can get somewhere the full configs of the setups shown in the screenshot section. me for example, i very like the layout contributed by Ray Russell Reese III.

cananyone help me?
thx

regards
marius
How to split lines in search/replace
Submitted by Java1Guy on Thursday, 18 March, 2004 - 18:05
I basically want to insert a new line -- or split lines at some string.
Eg: line 1 line 2
via search/replace change to:
line 1
line 2

I'm sure it's simple but i sure can't find it in the docs. (Tried putting \n in the replace text but the slash and n appeared in the result.)

Thanks, Mark
I/O error = missing jar ?
Submitted by MetalCat on Thursday, 18 March, 2004 - 16:21
Hi ya,

I was install the spelling module and it timed out during the download, so I though I'd just try later as the server must be busy or something.

Next time I started jEdit ;
Conbsole
JEditCvs
SideKick
SQL
XML

didn't want to load because errorlist was missing.

Any ideas ? I'm trying to reinstall it now.
Full file name with dir in window title
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 16 March, 2004 - 15:51
can anyone help with this? i need it to be used with some time tracking program and need full path of file in main window title ... help ..thanx Lukas Smiling
switching from vim: is it worth it?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 16 March, 2004 - 12:16
i have been using vim for just about a year now, and am quite happy with it. the best thing about it is that it allows you to do stuff fast, without having to muck about with the mouse. I'ts also got quite powerful regexes and macros that you can run.

if i switch to jedit, which is probably better from a programming point of view, will i still get these features? can i assign vim keys like hjkl for leftupdownright, dd for delete, etc?

thanks
Missing Run Last Macro from 4.2pre8
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 16 March, 2004 - 09:18
Hello

First I would like to say that JEdit is a wonderful editor and has features that really make the coding fun. I especially like the features that help me to reduce the necessity to manually type the same code again and let me concentrate to creativity.

But there is one thing that has bugging me for some time. I really liked the feature run last macro. It was great that I could choose macro from the menu then run it once and after that use keyboard shortcut to run it again and again When I upgraded to 4.2pre8 from 4.1 I discovered that this function had disappeared. I am a little confused - why to remove such useful functionality.

I also explored forums and mail list archives but could not find much about this. Is there a possibility to reimplement this functionality using macros - creating a macro that could access macro history, especially the last executed macro or any other way to reimplement this functionality?

with best regards,
Phade
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281