jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Global Search and Replace Without Opening Buffers
Submitted by proee on Wednesday, 22 April, 2009 - 22:45
I'm wondering if it's possible to do a "Search and Replace" in a directory without having jEdit open a buffer with the files matching the search criteria.

I'm looking for a way to do a "silent" search and replace where jEdit will make the changes, and save the file, all without opening a buffer (which it's currently doing).

In my case, i have a good 30 files with the matching criteria so when I do a "search and replace" in a directory this opens up 30 buffers.
ErrorList: Sorted as in Console window + clickable?
Submitted by Axel on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 18:05
Is there a way to get ErrorList behave like this: 1.) Having errors listed in the same order as shown in the Console window (because this order has a meaning) _together with_ 2.) "Clicking on an error will open the file containing the error and move the caret to its location" I can get working only one of these at a time. --- Details below --- Errormessages (of Ruby) look like this, in the Console Window: D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :761:in `on_run_single_test': undefined local variable or method `test_end' for # (NameError) from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `eval' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :761:in `on_run_single_test' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `main_dialog' from D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `call' from D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `select' from D:/Test/trx/external/highline.rb:309:in `choose' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :869:in `main_dialog' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `loop' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `main_dialog' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :97:in `initialize' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918:in `new' from D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918 Process ruby exited with code 1 With: Error Regexp: (\s+from)?\s*(.:[^:]+)\s*:(\d+)Puzzled(.*) Extra lines regexp: I _can_ click every line and caret jumps to the right position, but I don't see the right order because ErrorList is mixed up: --D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb | |-- 97:in `initialize' | |-- 761:in `on_run_single_test' | |-- 761:in `on_run_single_test': undefined local variable or method ... | |-- 867:in `loop' | |-- 867:in `main_dialog' | |-- 869:in `main_dialog' | |-- 876:in `eval' | |-- 876:in `main_dialog' | |-- 918 | '-- 918:in `new' | --D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb | |-- 312:in `call' | '-- 312:in `select' | --D:/Test/trx/external/highline.rb '-- 309:in `choose' With using "Extra lines regexp": Error Regexp: ^([\ \t]*)(.:[^:]+)\s*:(\d+)Puzzled(.*) Extra lines regexp: ^[\ \t]*\s+from\s*(.:[^:]+\s*:\d+:?.*) the error messages are shown in the right order. But when I click the lines the caret jumps to the right position only for the first line (matched by 'Error Regexp'), and if I click the following lines (matched by 'Extra lines regexp'), it does _not_ jump to the the corresponding position. (Using additional grouping with paranthesises in the Extra lines regexp doesn't help.) --D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb '-- 761:in `on_run_single_test': undefined local variable or method ... |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `eval' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :761:in `on_run_single_test' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :876:in `main_dialog' |-- D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `call' |-- D:/Test/trx/external/highline/menu.rb:312:in `select' |-- D:/Test/trx/external/highline.rb:309:in `choose' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :869:in `main_dialog' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `loop' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :867:in `main_dialog' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :97:in `initialize' |-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918:in `new' '-- D:/Test/simple_trx_ui.rb :918 This view apears to me very usable, if it would have enabled the use of the 'Error Patterns' called 'Filename' and 'Line number'. I'm using: Windows XP jEdit 4.3pre16 Java 1.6.0_07 Console 4.3.8 ErrorList 1.7 RubyPlugin 0.9.2 Error pattern: Name: Ruby Error Regexp: see above Warning regexp: Extra lines regexp: see above Filename: $2 Line number: $3 Error message: $4 "Ruby" is on the top of the Error patterns list Axel
smaller toolbar icons?
Submitted by eldereko on Monday, 20 April, 2009 - 15:50
with 4.2 you could override the toolbar icons, but with 4.3 themes you can only choose from classic or tango... both of which are huge icons compared to almost every other app. is there a way to either override the icons as in 4.2 or switch to a smaller version of the theme, i see there are smaller versions in the jedit jar.
Tag List and Tag Preview Problem
Submitted by gsawyer9 on Friday, 17 April, 2009 - 21:04
I'm trying to use the CtagsInterface plugin Tag List and Tag Preview features. Whenever I invoke either of them, the following error message is generated:

Sourced file: inline evaluation of: `` new dockables.TagList(view); ;'' : Constructor error: Can't find constructor: dockables.TagList( org.gjt.sp.jedit.View ) in class: dockables.TagList : at Line: 2 : in file: inline evaluation of: `` new dockables.TagList(view); ;'' : new dockables .TagList ( view )

I suspect that I've made a mistake in installation or configuration, but I've tried re-installing jEdit and the plugin. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
Gary.
Markers and marker browser
Submitted by gryf on Friday, 17 April, 2009 - 17:44
Hi.

In jEdit there is usefull feature called markers (and there is also menu for that) however there is something missing about it. There is no way to agregate all markers in one place like in Hypersearch window (or maybe i cannot find it). After some investigations, I found two things:

1. Plugin Markers Sets (http://plugins.jedit.org/plugins/?MarkerSets)

This is almost what I want, howerver it have two blockers: It have nothing to do with jEdit markers - it provide it own, and it doesn't work with jEdit 4.2 final which I use for "production" as a stable as a rock platform.

Is there any other plugin which can utilize markers information? It'll be perfect if it automaticly scan for marker in entire ProjectViewer project root directory.

2. Macro listMarkers.bsh (http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/1057) which uses jEdit markers, but it cannot be docked in way that plugins windows can. Also it list only markers from current buffer.

Is there a way to dock window created by a macro?

And finally - what informations are stored on *.mark file? I can see something like:
!.;289;289
Where dot after exclamation mark is actually null (0x00)

Thanks in advance for any comment.
Untitled Buffers
Submitted by jakbal on Thursday, 16 April, 2009 - 15:26
Hey All -

In my work, I spend a lot of time reading log files. As I read log files, I copy out snippets of information and paste them into tabs within a text editor, formerly UltraEdit. I'm trying to make the switch to jEdit - but I'm running into a really weird issue that I don't seem to get around.

The issue is that I want to have multiple unsaved buffers open at a time. These snippets of information that I paste into the text editor are nothing that I wish to save. In UltraEdit I can open up as many unsaved buffers as I want ... but in jEdit I only seem to be able to open up a single unsaved buffer.

Lets say I have jEdit open with a single buffer, reading a clean (no changes) text file. I hit CTRL-N and a new buffer opens "Untitled-1" - no problems. I hit CTRL-N again to open up a second unsaved buffer - nothing happens! There is no "Untitled-2" ...

Does this have something to do with my configuration of jEdit? Is this a limitation of jEdit? I've done a fair amount of searching and I haven't been able to find anyone else reporting this or discussing it. If it is a limiation, I will probably find myself gravitating back towards UltraEdit, I fear (which I would really like to avoid).

Any ideas?
Block comment dynamic expand
Submitted by alexandrei on Tuesday, 14 April, 2009 - 08:27
Hello,

I am curious if there is a plugin/macro that can do the following thing:
- I manually open a block comment (c/c++, etc), with "/*" or "/**"
- I press enter, and a new * is added at the start of the line, aligned with the previous * (1 line indent)
- the above repeats, until I enter the ending "/"

I've seen this behaviour in vi/vim, and I really like it! This is the only thing that I could not find in jEdit (yet). Otherwise, it's my perfect editor Laughing out loud

Thank you!
Slow paints
Submitted by JMNorris on Friday, 10 April, 2009 - 16:18
I have a new computer and my new installation of jEdit has SLOW window paints/refreshes. My old computer did not have this problem. Refreshes (on opening a new file, scrolling, etc.) snap up with my old installation.

The problem does not occur with at least some other Java apps (eg., Eclipse, SmartSVN) suggesting (but of course not proving) that the problem is not with the JRE. The difference between the two computers does seem to show up with ArgoUML, but I haven't used it enough to know that for sure.

The old compter is a Lenovo T61, the new a Lenovo T400. Both computers are Windows XP, all service packs and other Windows update fixes installed.

Both jEdit installations are v. 4.3pre16. I just upgraded the new computer JRE from 1.6.0, update 11 to update 12. IIRC, the old computer is at update 11.

I tried copying both by ApplicatonData/.jEdit (or, in Micrsoft lingo, ApplicatonData\.jedit) and my Pogram Files/jEdit directories from the old computer to the new computer. It didn't help.

My current Utilities->Global Options->Text Area options include:
Electric (auto scroll) borders [whatever that is]: Off.
Anti Aliased smooth text: none.
Fractional font metrics (for better smooth text display): Off.

At some point, the slowness problem mysteriously (apparently not in response to a settings change) disappeared. However, the slowness reappeared on my next reboot. (I usually try to avoid reboots, preferring stanbys and hibernates. However, this preference is ofeten foiled by the fact that it is Windows.) Could this perhaps suggest that the some setting (fractional font metrics, perhaps) is often ignored???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Solution: Launching External Apps From Macros
Submitted by ehtyar on Wednesday, 1 April, 2009 - 00:25
Hi guys.

When i first moved to jEdit, I was extremely frustrated by the way Java launches external apps (via Runtime.getRuntime().exec()). It decided internally whether or not you should see a console window for a console program and other stupid stuff like that. There are solutions all over the place using cmd /c and cmd /k to remedy this problem, but that all gets very messy when you're dealing with batch files.

To solve this problem, I downloaded ShellExecute by OptimumX (http://www.optimumx.com/), which basically just uses ShellExecuteEx() to launch the app specified on the command line. When launching apps via this utility, they behave as you would expect them to.

To use it, put it in your jre bin directory, or somewhere in your path environment variable, and use it in your macro like so:

path = buffer.getPath().substring(0, buffer.getPath().lastIndexOf("\\"));
Process proc = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("ShellExecute.exe /F:cmd.exe", null, new File(path));

That example macro will open a command prompt in the directory containing the document of the current buffer.

Hope this helps some people out.

Ehtyar.
What is the community's opinion of "Jedit X"?
Submitted by Todd on Saturday, 21 March, 2009 - 14:11
This is probably as good a place as any to post this question. I have been a long-time jEdit user, but since moving to a Mac I've been frustrated with its lack of "Cocoa-ness." Progress has been made with the interface *looking* more Mac-centric, but the software itself doesn't play especially well with OSX.

So when I stumbled on "Jedit X," I was excited at first, thinking I'd finally found a Cocoa version of jEdit. This doesn't seem to be entirely true. While the first paragraph describing Jedit X says it is "the result of re-building the software entirely from scratch in Cocoa to best take advantage OS X's capabilities," a line further down says "Our Jedit is a native Macintosh application and is totally unrelated to the Java editor 'jEdit.'" Not quite sure how both can be true. The two programs certainly have similarities, but a lot of differences, too. Boiling it down to the biggest advantages & disadvantages from my view, it has a lot of the same powerful text-editing functions and search capability but with better OSX integration, but doesn't have the Plugin Manager or even compatibility with manual jEdit plugin installation (unless I'm missing something). Of course another advantage/disadvantage, depending on how you look at it, is the fact that Jedit X is a commercial product.

I'm still hoping there will one day be a Cocoa version of jEdit itself that stays current, or close to current with the Java version. Is that even remotely possible? What is the jEdit community's opinion of "Jedit X"? Is it viewed as a rip-off or a legitimate commercial offshoot of jEdit?

Thanks,

Todd
Keyboard Focus in Text Area
Submitted by ggblack on Wednesday, 18 March, 2009 - 13:14
I have just started using jedit (4.3pre16 under Mandriva Linux 2009) and I have found it so far a pleasure to use. However one aspect of its operation has proved an annoyance, and so I would like to know if this is a feature I have to live with, or that I am missing something.

I prefer to use the keyboard as much as possible, and only revert to the mouse where absolutely necessary. I find that whenever I trigger a command from a shotcut that presents an input dialog, I am left in a keyboard limbo when the dialog closes. The only way I have found to return to editing the text with the keyboard is to click into the text area with the mouse, which I would naturally prefer not to have to do, but rather find a keyboard solution. An example would be the "go to line" shortcut.

Any help would be much appreciated.
jedit doesn't reopen files that were open last time when starting
Submitted by onurbi on Friday, 6 March, 2009 - 12:40
Hello,

using Version 4.3 pre 16 under Windows, jedit doesn't reopen the files which has been open when I closed it.

Few years ago I appreciated this feature. I found nothing in the global settings which does switch off or on this feature.

It is not so, that jedit does forget any setting, but for instance the check box of the plugin buffer tabs belongs to the amnesia case.

Regards,

onurbi
How do I define “hidden files” in JEdit?
Submitted by funkyworklehead on Tuesday, 3 March, 2009 - 13:58
When doing recursive directory regular expression search and replace, how do I define which types of files are hidden? In Linux, by default, all files beginning with '.' are "hidden" to the JEdit file system browser and JEdit recursive search. How do I define other file globs to be hidden? How can I tell JEdit to not look in directory 'SCCS'.
Jedit 4.3pre16: automatic identation in C++ mode witchin switch/case blocks
Submitted by SegFault on Monday, 23 February, 2009 - 16:02
Hello. I'm using jedit 4.3pre16 on slackware 12.2 linux, and I had following problem: When I was typing something something like -- switch(index){ case(Choices::done): -- jedit kept moving (case(Choices::done)Smiling line to the left (i.e. was unindenting the line) every time I typed colon (*any* colon - even the one in the middle of Choices::done). I was able to partially fix it by copying cplusplus.xml to ~/.jedit/modes, adding it to ~/.jedit/modes/catalog and replacing --- ?!Smiling).*$" /> --- with --- ?!Smiling).*$" /> --- But I got another problem. Now when I type something like: --- switch(index){ case(Choices::done): break; case(Choices::cancel):{ --- jedit keeps moving "case(Choices::cancel):{" to the right (i.e. indenting) when I type "{". This obviously happens because jedit "thinks" that break is not within indentation block and defines proper indentation level. How can I fix that? I've tried replacing --- --- with regexp that would exclude "case" (something like "(?!\bcase\b.*\(.*\):){"), but this didn't work (it looks like indentOpenBrackets doesn't take regexp as argument). Any ideas?
Console Plugin -- focus jumps to text edit?
Submitted by coolcat on Thursday, 12 February, 2009 - 19:26
Hi, I've been searching the forums but so far can't find an answer to this:

1. I initiate a build in the console and it completes.
2. I type cd .. in the console so I can run a build in a different directory.
3. As I'm typing the next build command, I notice the focus has jumped to the text edit section and I'm inadvertently typing text into one of my source files.

This seems pretty trivial, but it happens again and again. Strangely, after I put the focus back into the console, I can do as many cd's as I want and the focus will never jump to the code. Only after a build. Does it have something to do with the error-list plugin? I can think of no reason I'd ever want the focus to jump to the text window, but maybe there's a point to this feature?

Thanks
Changing Jedits name in the MacOS menubar
Submitted by tomasio on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 21:11
Can anyone give me a hint how to change the name of Jedit in the menubar of MacOS 10.5.6? I just installed JEditpre16 and since then it shows "org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit" instead of "Jedit" in the menubar. I consider this real ugly as the name in the menubar should be the app name and no cryptic java class path (or whatever that is).
how to print?
Submitted by Eric Inazaki on Monday, 9 February, 2009 - 16:45
What needs to be done in order to get jedit to print?

When I try to print jedit says "no print service found"
however, I can print from everywhere else on my system
(lpr, firefox, etc). I'm using open suse 10.3 and jedit
4.2 and 4.3, same problem both ways.

On an unrelated subject, is there a way to search the
forum?

TIA,
eric
Mode woes
Submitted by haama on Friday, 6 February, 2009 - 17:09
Hi all, I've gotten a new Mode to work for the most part, but am still having trouble with Auto-Indent and RegExp tags. By the way, I'm using jEdit v4.3pre16, java 1.6u11, and Windows (XP). Auto-Indent: I'm going for begin/if stuff else/elseif more stuff endif/end So I tried It indents properly, but it doesn't unindent. Narrowing it down, the UnindentThisLine tag is working exactly like the IndentNextLines tag. For example, will indent the lines following "else" or "end". I thought it was a bug, but UnindentThisLine works prefectly with java mode. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, though. The props and main rule set is %% %g [\d.+-]+[ef] RegExp tags: As you can see in the rules above, I have a digits RegExp tag and a SEQ - neither one of them works. For digits, I'm trying to display decimals and negatives with the same highlight as numbers, using DIGIT_RE="[^%][.-](?=[0-9])". The decimal and negative display as Operators (which I have them defined as later) in every case I can think of ".4", "4.4", "-4", "423.543-45". Tried it as [.-](?=[0-9]) and that didn't work either. The SEQ_REGEXP tag is supposed to display anything like "%.3f" as a solitary operator. Instead, it displays the "%." as operators, the number(s) as digit, and when I type in the last letter the number and letter become null. I've tried this with and without the hash character to no avail. I know I'm looking over something, but I can't tell what and have exhausted my possibilities. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Jedit launch hotkey ctrl+alt+j (c+a+j)
Submitted by KimBastin on Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 - 08:49
On WinXP, jEdit 4.3pre16 has hijacked the key combination ctrl+alt+j (c+a+j) as a keyboard shortcut to launch itself. I need this combination for something else, but it seems to be undocumented as a jEdit hotkey and I can't find any way to change or disable it.

I found a couple of similar queries on this forum, and the answer given was to open the jEdit shortcuts (.lnk's) and edit the properties (the field 'Shortcut key' under the Shortcut tab, presumably). I have three jEdit shortcuts — on the desktop, the quicklaunch bar and the Start menu, and on all of them the shortcut key is set to 'None'.

So my question is, where is the c+a+j hotkey combination that launches jEdit stored, and how can I change or disable it?

Thanks
Kim
i/o popups
Submitted by Frankly33 on Tuesday, 3 February, 2009 - 00:22
I am new to jEdit, and it keeps popping up I/O errors that aren't affecting me. How do I stop these from popping up?
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82349