jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Search dialog doesn't display - Solution
Submitted by stanberka on Wednesday, 22 March, 2006 - 18:10
Once a while I'm hitting the problem that the search-and-replace dialog doesn't stops showing up when requested (either way). I have found (after spending two hours +) that I have to delete the lines:
search.y=194
search.x=1248
from the "properties" file that is in user's .jEdit folder.
Ruby Plugin: auto-completing quotes and brackets not working
Submitted by malesca on Sunday, 19 March, 2006 - 00:25
I've installed jEdit 4.3pre3 and the Ruby Plugin, but I find the auto-completion of quotes and brackets doesn't work. On my previous computer, I had jEdit 4.2 and the Ruby Plugin, and the auto-completion worked fine.

Does it work in 4.3 for anyone? Have I missed some setting? If I don't get it working, I'll try downgrading to 4.2.
What Else In jEdit Will Close A Tag Automatically?
Submitted by hurricanedavid on Thursday, 16 March, 2006 - 20:56
I know the XML plugin will cause jE to close a tag when < / is typed. But I've turned that off. But it's still doing it.

Where else can I look?
Choosing and inserting file path and file name to hyperlinks
Submitted by philaweb on Tuesday, 14 March, 2006 - 12:56
Hi,

I am new to this forum and to JEdit plugin's as well.

Is there a plugin avialable for download with the functionality of choosing and inserting a file path and file name to hyperlinks?

Well, it is the only tedious thing about the plain JEdit version, that I have to type all file paths and names manually.

TIA
Editing HTML: jEdit inserts new lines
Submitted by vojtec on Monday, 13 March, 2006 - 14:29
When Im editing HTML page, jEdit automatically adds between every two lines new line...
How can I get rid of it?

Thanks for every tip..
Vojtec
remote/local views?
Submitted by szymek on Sunday, 12 March, 2006 - 11:15
Hi!

I'm using dreamweaver most of the time, but now i try to learn ruby on rails, so i decided to give jedit a try.

Is there a plugin that allows to specify a local folder and a remote ftp server for a single project, switch between them and upload/download files from/to both servers?
newbie Q: how to Run Buffer using Python?
Submitted by midtoad on Thursday, 9 March, 2006 - 00:40
When I try to "run this buffer", I get an error saying "there is no interpreter associated with this buffer. You can specify interpreters on a mode-specific basis in the Utilities -> Global Options dialog box."

It's certainly helpful to get a suggestion in a case like this. But there is NO place in the Global Option s that I can find where I can specify a Python interpreter.

What's the best way to execute a python script with one click of a toolbar icon?

thanks
S
how to get python de-indent?
Submitted by ilazarte on Wednesday, 8 March, 2006 - 08:11
in the python interpreter, by pressing enter, i get de-indented one level.
how can i emulate this effect in jedit? i saw something about using a backspace bound to greedy backspace? i clicked Macros -> Editing -> Greedy Backspace but nothing happend. i checked in the help about greedy backspace and but i dont see a how-to. am i supposed to edit the .bsh file somehow? (\jEdit\macros\Editing\Greedy_Backspace.bsh)

TIA!
can't find "differ", "fader tabs" plugins
Submitted by pi1ot on Wednesday, 8 March, 2006 - 06:59
I can't find "differ", "fader tabs" plugins of this screenshot:
http://docsynch.sourceforge.net/img/screenshots/jedit/screenshot-main.png
http://docsynch.sourceforge.net/index.php?page[]=2.Screenshots
Why do I get two instances of jedit in the taskbar (windows xp)
Submitted by Craig Schmidt on Monday, 6 March, 2006 - 15:33
I had been using jedit without any problems. However, a few days ago I started getting two instances of jedit whenever I start it. That is, there are two applications called jEdit in the task manager, there are two icons that appear in the task bar, etc. The two copies of jedit sort of stay in sync. (They update themselves to have the same files open.) If you quit one, the other quits as well.

I don't have any sessions defined except "default". To my knowledge, I didn't do anything to get this behavior.

I start jedit with the following shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\javaw.exe" -mx96m -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar"

I'm running windows xp.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Craig Schmidt
Does jEdit have Autocomplete for C++?
Submitted by Zdravko on Sunday, 5 March, 2006 - 11:37
Does jEdit include some kind of code autocompletion? Let's say I have a C++ object and I want by typing: obj. to have all member functions listed. Or for example when I type :: to have every function in that namespace?
JEdit and Python
Submitted by bbbbbb on Saturday, 4 March, 2006 - 10:16
Hello ,
Is it possible to use JEdit with Python?
I mean if it is possible to run Python scripts directly from JEdit.
Thanks
L
Treat c- as c++-files
Submitted by flowerjt on Friday, 3 March, 2006 - 13:08
Dear jEdit users, I want c-files to be exactly highlighted as c++-files without always changing buffer options. In v4.1final this was the case but after upgrading to v4.2final it is treated in a different way. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Another gratuitous testimonial for jEdit
Submitted by rowck001 on Friday, 3 March, 2006 - 02:00
Oh no!! not another rave about how good jEdit is!! Writing this here is probably preaching to the converted but IMO jEdit is simply the best platform for developing java applications I have found.

I use Linux on both my elderly Toshiba Notebook (600Mhz and 128Mb RAM) and a powerful desktop system (3Ghz and 1GB RAM) and jEdit is faaaaast and responsive even on the old laptop where Netbeans and Eclipse are out of the question with their bloated memory requirements. Even other java-written IDE's and editors run like a slug if you have less than 512Mb RAM. Adding project, ANT, Junit, Jindex and Jcompiler plugins give me a profesional, powerful environment to develop in java both for University projects and outside applications.

Love ya Slava et al .... and Linux and open-source!!!

Craig Rowlands
Will WSAD and other VM instance cause jEdit slow down?
Submitted by ianwu on Thursday, 2 March, 2006 - 03:49
Dear all,

I am doing some development with WSAD, and it is known that doing jsp editing on the WSAD is slow, since WSAD will launch its validator, and then do some wired things, which makes saving a JSP file taking longer than 30 sec.

My collegaues would use ultraedit to do editing and saving JSP. Me, being a fan of jEdit, would rather do JSP editing with my beloved jEdit. Unfortunately, I have noticed jEdit gets unusually slow, the CPU ultilization isn't high at all.

Could this be caused by WSAD also uses java VM to run? Will serveral VM running together compete for resources? Are there parameters that I could set in my javaw.exe when i launch jedit?

Ian
How to change line spacing?
Submitted by doublebacks on Wednesday, 1 March, 2006 - 06:13
Is there any way to change the spacing between lines in jEdit?
When I use a fontset containing Chinese font and English font, the line spacing is too big, where can I adjust it?

Best Regards.
Live-Search or Filter Plugin
Submitted by cyrus on Monday, 27 February, 2006 - 15:00
Hello,
is there a plugin that shows all contents from an open buffer that matches to a search-string?
I want all non-matching content immediately hidden, so that a seach performs like a filter.
It would be very usefull to show immediately for example all special tags in a html-file and so on...
Best regards,
Marc
Memory leak, memory growth?
Submitted by ilazarte on Monday, 27 February, 2006 - 07:30
I'm noticing in the heap monitor, even though JEdit starts at only a 4/5 mb value, it slow creeps up even if I'm not doing anything to as far as 12 MB. This may happen over the course of an hour or so. I've been restarting the prog when it gets that far to reclaim usage. Thankfully the restarts are pretty much instantenous Smiling

I'm using jEdit 4.2 final, with several plugins:
CssEditor 0.3
ErrorList 1.4
FTP 0.7.3
Jakarta Commons 0.4.4
Latest Version Check 1.5
LookAndFeel 1.1
QuickNotepad 4.2
SideKick 0.3.4
XML 0.13

Any way to avoid this? Should I be using 4.3 dev instead?
Whats the release plan? and how have I missed this great editor for so long? Smiling
Howto use Includes Parser plugin ?
Submitted by dwg E on Sunday, 26 February, 2006 - 13:30
I've put this line in my main html file:
< ! - - * * C:\Documents and Settings\dwg E\included.html * * - - >

Includes Parser outputs an empty file.

Further info:
- the file I'm trying to get included does exist
- my files use UTF-8 character encoding
- jEdit 4.2 on Windows XP Pro Sp2

Help!

dwg E.
Saving word wrap settings
Submitted by J2R on Friday, 24 February, 2006 - 19:18
Not sure if this is a bug. Every time I open a document, the word wrap settings have reverted to None. I change the Word Wrap to Soft at 120 columns in Buffer-Options, save the document. When I reopen it, the word wrap has gone and I have to set it again. Any suggestions?
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281