jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
delete column
Submitted by amwt on Friday, 27 January, 2006 - 08:28
How do I delete the leftmost column, 1 character wide, from selected lines? I often need to strip ">" quote marks from messages forwarded to me. In bbedit, I use "decrease quote level". Thanks.
How do I make jEdit respect system defaults for scrollwheel? Or just change the behaviour?
Submitted by Denyer on Wednesday, 25 January, 2006 - 18:25
Holding down shift to scroll a page isn't intuitive when no other app does it. Is there any way to either force jEdit to scroll a page by default, or reverse the modifier -- i.e. to hold down shift for a three-line scroll, whilst making jEdit respect the default.

Scrolling works fine in all other windows in jEdit, it's just the editor one that's causing a problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, even if it's only "look in the source code and switch these lines around". It's equally likely I've missed something really obvious in an options window or not found a config file.

Regards,
Stu.
Compiling and running a program.
Submitted by anothrguitarist on Wednesday, 25 January, 2006 - 14:37
Alright, I've searched the forums and this question has been asked before, but the answerd givin did not help me.

I can compile a Java program with ANT Farm, but I can not run the program. This is just one single java file that I am trying to run. I've tried hitting the running man icon, but it gave me an error even though I had no bugs when I compiled the file.

Please help

PS I would really enjoy if someone put all the steps needed to run a program starting right after writing a program.
Can't start Antelope plugin
Submitted by ccapeng on Monday, 23 January, 2006 - 15:24
I just instealled the latest antelope plug in from http://antelope.tigris.org/.

I got warning like
"Error starting Antelope:
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.AntXMLContext.setCurrectTargets(Ljava/util/Map;)V
Usually this can be fixed by reatring jedit."

However, when I restarted my jedit, this warning was coming up again.

Any idea?
JavaDebugger
Submitted by Steve Marjoribanks on Sunday, 22 January, 2006 - 19:55
Whenever I try to load JavaDebugger (v1.4) it keeps on coming up with an error saying that I need to install JDK 1.3 or later but I have JDK 1.5 on my computer and I thought I had set the JavaDebugger up correctly so does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong? I have tried deleting and reinstalling both the Javacore and JavaDebugger plugins with no success.
Thanks

Steve
More complex text-processing launched like "Abbreviations"?
Submitted by Axel on Saturday, 21 January, 2006 - 09:54
Hello,

is there a way to start Macros like "Abbreviations", I mean by typing a keyword and when pressing the Spacebar, the Macro will be executed?

What I would like to do is to type a keyword, pressing Spacebar, and something more complex textprocessing than what actually can be done with the Abbreviations is executed.

Maybe, the "templates"-plugin could do it, but when typing a normal word, which does _not_ represent a keyword, always a "warning"-message is launched.

Or, will something like this be available in the next jEdit Version? (I'm using 4.2final now.)

Axel
(Email: forum.jedit3.a99@dfgh.net)
HTML editing help?
Submitted by Axel on Saturday, 21 January, 2006 - 09:52
Hello,

I'm looking for add-ons for jedit, which help creating/editing HTML-Files with jEdit; for example: "Abbreviations"-File, Macros or Plugins.

I know of the plugins from http://plugins.jedit.org/list.php?category=4 , but what I'm looking for are more "fundamental"/simple things.

Does anybody know something like this?

Axel
(Email: forum.jedit2.a99@dfgh.net)
HTML Tree plugin
Submitted by premek_zak on Friday, 20 January, 2006 - 20:51
Hello,

I'm searching for a plugin(?), that makes something like tree in HTML file (it links <div>s, so it's impossible to forget to close it. I'm sure that it exist (i've seen it on some screenshot), but I don't know name of the plugin (or maybe it isn't plugin at all) ...
Does anybody know?

thanks
HTML Tree plugin
Submitted by premek_zak on Friday, 20 January, 2006 - 20:43
Hello,

I'm searching for a plugin(?), that makes something like tree in HTML file (it links <div>s, so it's impossible to forget to close it. I'm sure that it exist (i've seen it on some screenshot), but I don't know name of the plugin (or maybe it isn't plugin at all) ...
Does anybody know?

thanks
Sidekick + PhpParser Plugin and Folding
Submitted by Baldurien on Friday, 20 January, 2006 - 20:33
Hi,

Since CustomFoldHandler does not work on jedit4.3pre3 [http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/2580], I am forced to use SideKick folding mode for my php files.

The problem is that I have a lot of docblocks, and comment, and that I don't like the default jedit folding syntax ({{{ .. }}}). I would like to know how I could add my own folding handler, for the PHP mode?

Here is what I'd like :

Multiline comments on several lines :
/*...
*/ -> /* [xx lines]

My own folding:
__start__
__end__
->
__start__ [xx lines]

What can I do for that?
FTP & storing passwords
Submitted by brawta on Thursday, 19 January, 2006 - 16:44
I have been using the FTP plugin for jEdit and lately have needed to add new servers that I connect to. It seems that the FTP plugin for jEdit does not save passwords. I am kind of tired of entering them in every time I start the program.

Is there a different add on or a setting I am missing something entirely. My machine is secure enough to store the passwords (and all my other dev tools do it anyway so I dont understand this level of security, if that is what it is...)

Any info you could provide would be appreciated,
Thanks,
B
Efficient window switching
Submitted by andrewee on Saturday, 14 January, 2006 - 01:43
In Adobe Acrobat reader, I can open 9 different files and then press alt-w and then a number to switch instantly to the numbered window. In jedit I can press alt-backtick to get the list like I can do with alt-w in Acrobat, but in jedit I then have to use the arrow keys to scroll to the desired item, or use the mouse. How do I get it to work like Acrobat, where a grand total of no more than three keystrokes (alt-backtick windownumber) will jump to a desired window?
The switchbuffer plugin doesn't appear to be what I want, because it requires too many keystrokes to switch buffers. I realize that with more than 9 windows open, I'll need more keystrokes, but I'd like to optimize for my common case of having less than 9 open.
Where's the wrap-to-window option?
Submitted by andrewee on Saturday, 14 January, 2006 - 01:40
Where's the wrap-to-window option? I don't want jedit to wrap to a specified width (e.g. 80 characters); I want it to wrap to the editing window, but Utilities/Global Options/Editing doesn't give me that option, and I don't see the option anywhere else.
Putting .marks files in a common directory, like is possible with backup files
Submitted by andrewee on Saturday, 14 January, 2006 - 01:38
How do I tell jedit to put all metadata including things like .marks files in one common directory rather than in the directories of the associated files, so that those latter directories can remain uncluttered?
ctrl-arrow cursor movement is too fine-grained
Submitted by andrewee on Saturday, 14 January, 2006 - 01:36
ctrl-leftarrow and ctrl-rightarrow cycle through the beginning and end of each word, which takes twice as many keystrokes to cycle through words compared to the standard Windows operation (in Notepad and Wordpad, ctrl-arrow cycles only through the beginning of each word).
In other words, jedit jumps the cursor to the next whitespace->nonwhitespace or nonwhitespace->whitespace boundary, whereas standard Windows operation jumps the cursor only to the next whitespace->nonwhitespace boundary and ignores all nonwhitespace->whitespace boundaries.
How do I make jedit obey the Windows standard, so that cycling through words isn't so tedious?
Using DTD and Schema in the same document
Submitted by josephhill on Friday, 13 January, 2006 - 11:51
I'm not sure whether to file this under using Jedit, bugs, or plugin features. Is there a way to make jEdit recognize both DTD and a schema in the same document?

I've been unable to make the move to jEdit as my main XML editor because all my XML files are associated with both a DTD defining multi-lingual entities and schemas to define structure. When I use jEdit, I have to comment out the DTD if I want it to help me with elements and then turn off validation if I want it to help me out with entities. The strange thing is that XML Insert happily suggests the possible elements while the main window underlines everything in red and says no elements are defined.

I'd be very happy if I could figure out how to make this work. Thanks!
print all buffers?
Submitted by x_solidus_x on Monday, 9 January, 2006 - 18:05
Hi,

Does anyone know of a plugin/macro to automatically print every open buffer?

Thanks
Folding for VHDL
Submitted by liran vigdor on Monday, 9 January, 2006 - 16:47
Is there any option/Plugin for Folding of VHDL files ?
like folding brackets, and folding process ...
thanks
Help With Color Coding
Submitted by jRockJavaGod on Monday, 9 January, 2006 - 15:22
Please assist - I am eager to use JEdit but I will never be able to get into it if I can't get the color coding 'the way I like it'...yes, this is probably one of my more important requirements strange as that seems...

But I do not understand how this works in Jedit. Is there a way to set it up so that it can color code my HTML tags one way, my javascript another way (with the entire script in a specific background color) and my JSP another way (with each scriptlet block in another background color) ?

The idea being that, more than color coding attributes and specific details like that, I am interested in breaking out a JSP file so that all blocks of HTML,JAVASCRIPT and JSP have different background colors throughout the whole block so you can easily see what language you are in .

I currently use homesite because it gives me the customization to do just this and I am dying to try jedit but I have no idea if such color coding is possible

Thanks a lot

John
Help with running 'whole' substitution regular expressions.
Submitted by Aaronc on Monday, 9 January, 2006 - 03:19

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to regular expressions, but I have used jEdit for soem time now. I have search online (google) and also around these forums. So far I haven't found any information for what I am looking for. Perhaps it is my lack of experience with RE if so please forgive my ignorance.

I would like to be able to run regular expressions in jEdit as whole expressions, for example. presently to do a complex find and replace I have to type regular expression argument in the search box, And then place a value in the replace box. The problem with this is that I can't use parenthesis () to back-reference a previously reference string.

Programatical example:

s/(<h2>[^<]*./h2>)/<div>\1<p></p></div>/g

Search for <h2> and any thing in between this and it's close tag to replaced and included as e.g.
find: <h2>Title here</h2>
and replace with: <div><h2>Title here</h2><p></p></div>

regardless of the value for the content between the <h2> and </h2> strings.

I realize that I can use a macro to complete what I am attempting with RE but that defeats my main purpose of learning RE by experimentation.

Thanks Aaron
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281