jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
CodeAid parsing Java code which uses 5.0 generics
Submitted by TTAnimal on Wednesday, 12 October, 2005 - 16:50
When I use JDK 5.0 generics syntax in the JEdit editor pane, CodeAid cannot parse the buffer, and so I get no autocomplete popups.

Is this going to be fixed soon?
What is a Plain View, and how can I make it Plainer?
Submitted by Austin_Hastings on Monday, 10 October, 2005 - 07:43
When I click on View > New Plain View, I get a view that contains: Menubar: File, Edit, Search, etc. Toolbar: <<= =>> Buffer Switcher [If I have it on] Buffer Tabs ==== ruler ===== Text Area The strange <<= and =>> in the Toolbar are not part of the configured list when I view Global Options. They don't seem to actually do anything (clicking does nothing). In fact, they look like pale gray versions of the black Back and Forward buttons in the help browser. How can I make them, and the whole toolbar, disappear? How can I make the buffer tabs and/or the buffer switcher disappear on "Plain Views" but not on my Main view? Ideally, I'd like the buffer name in the window bar, a ruler, and the text area, and nothing else. Absent that, I'd accept a File/Edit menubar. But that's PLAIN. I want PLAIN. I sure don't want a half inch of empty space with two dead buttons in it. Comment? =Austin
How does JEdit find available fonts under *nix?
Submitted by pachanga on Wednesday, 5 October, 2005 - 08:02
Guys, i'm switching from windows to Debian 3.1 and having different little yet annoying issues trying to make JEdit operate exactly the same way as it does on my XP box.

I'm almost there but there's one problem which i can't resolve myself - fonts.

For some reason JEdit doesn't show fonts i copied from XP while KDE and GNOME have no problems with that. What can be causing this?

I'm using JEdit 4.2 final with j2sdk-1.4.2.06...
Problem with editing mode syntax hilighting (assembly-r2000 [mips])
Submitted by ian_stanton on Tuesday, 4 October, 2005 - 15:34
I've encountered a problem with syntax highlighting and MIPS assembly language.
I use the assembly-r2000 editing mode and it works almost perfectly, except that the register name $t0 is not being coloured up. All other registers as far as I can see are coloured green except this one which stays black.

If your not familier with using registers replace that word with variable names.

I was hoping to find someone that has some experience with using jEdit for writing mips code or someone with experience of editing syntax specifications so that I could possibly alter the program to include the register $t0.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I feel like I'm missing something obvious since it seems a silly thing to be happening.
making the ALT key sticky
Submitted by McSwell on Monday, 3 October, 2005 - 12:41
In all other applications that I use under Windows, touching and then releasing the ALT key makes the menu bar active, with the "accelerator" keys for each main menu item underlined or highlighted.

This doesn't work under jEdit--the only way to get to a menu item (at least for mouse-phobic people like me) is to hold the ALT key down while guessing the letter for the main menu item (F for File, E for Edit, etc.).

Is this a property of jEdit, or of Java? Is there a way to fix it (and I do mean "fix", since I believe the sticky-ALT behavior is standard in MS-Windows)?
Compared to phpeclipse and PHP Designer 2005
Submitted by Peter Mount on Thursday, 29 September, 2005 - 07:34
Hello

I've been using phpEclipse but I've been looking at PHP Designer 2005. How does jEdit compare to these for php development?

I've found Eclipse can be a unstable in that I have to periodically re-install it in Windows. Plus I currently only have a Pentium 2 at home.

I've also got Netbeans 4.1 loaded for JSP2/Servlets

Thanks

Peter Mount
RubyPlugin - No Interpreter Defined
Submitted by guivho on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 07:56
Using jEdit to edit Ruby source code, using the RubyPlugin 0.6.9, I try to run the current buffer, e.g. by launching run from the action Action Bar. This causes following popup: 'No Interpreter Defined - There is no interpreter associated with this buffer. You can specify interpreters on a mode-specific basis in the Utilities->Global Options dialog box.'
For one, I would expect that the RubyPlugin would define ruby as the interpreter for ruby mode buffers.
For two, I have looked in vain through the Global Options dialog and I can not find an option to define compilers/interpreters on a mode-specific basis. I feel so stupid, as I have seen that panel while I was initially playing around with jEdit. But I can't find it anymore!?
Can anybody give me a pointer?
TIA, Guido
retrieve the values from the jEditor
Submitted by balase on Monday, 26 September, 2005 - 12:53
Hi,

I want to retrieve the values in the jEitor (what ever we typed in the editor) and store into a database.
if any body have this idea, then can you tell me?

Thanks & Regards,
Balamurugan SE
problems with plugin, tabs color and javaStyle
Submitted by cnt00 on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 16:50
HI, I use jedit 4.2final version
I think that everyone that use jedit has installed buffer tabs plugin.(sorry for my english)
With a lot of buffer, i need to color the tabs for reach my code fastly.
How i can do this? I check the options

plugin->plugin options->buffer tabs->"enable colored tabs"
Now, where is my colored tabs? I want to color my tabs like green, red ecc, not only with the color of my interface(I use debian linux with xorg)
Any help?

Second problem:
I use in my code new java 5.0 feature like this:
java.util.LinkedList<E> from java api example: LinkedList<String> list = new LinkedList<String>();
When I try to reformat buffer with JavAstyle reformat buffer (another useful plugins) the parser say: parser exception.
The plugin is updated.
Anyone can solve my problems?
tnx

cnt00
jEdit in html page
Submitted by balase on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 11:08
hi,

I want to bring the jEdit (editor), in a html page. Its like open a swing application in html page. I am preparing a web mail application, I need a editor (developed in java).
jEdit is really good application for my requirements. The only problem is "how i want to import this component (jedit) in a html page.

Thanks & Regards,
Balamurugan SE
selection anchor (toggle)
Submitted by McSwell on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 20:42
For decades (ever since I switched from punchcards Smiling), I've set ^Q to do what you might call "toggle selection". That is, normally my cursor movement keys move the cursor without selecting text. But if I press (and then release) ^Q, then the cursor keys create a selection, as if I were holding the shift key down. Pressing ^Q again turns off selection, as do ^C, ^X etc.

It isn't obvious to me that there is any direct/ simple way to do this kind of toggling in jEdit. (I could write a bunch of macros for all the various cursor movement keys, but not otherwise.) Am I correct?
Problem wtih "Edit modes" under Mac OS X
Submitted by cavva on Friday, 16 September, 2005 - 16:56
This is my env:
Mac OS X 10.3.9
jEdit 4.2final

If i go to "Global Options" -> "Editing" -> "Change settings for mode" and choose the "REBOL mode"
after click on "OK" or "Apply" i don't see the Syntax Highlighting for REBOL

and if i go back to the Global Options i can see that jEdit restore the editing mode to the default ...

what's happen?
Emacs incremental search
Submitted by jfombe on Thursday, 15 September, 2005 - 08:28
Hello all,

I don't know if this has been answered elsewhere, but I hadn't been able to find it.

I am a new jEdit user, with some Emacs background, and I was wandering if there is some way to have the exact (or as similar as possible) incremental search (i-search) of Emacs in jEdit.

I have tried to assign "Incremental Search Bar" to C-s, but I have the problem that in order to search for the next entry, I have to press Enter (cannot do it by pressing C-s again).

Thanks,
Jorge.
Printed page shows spaces as little boxes
Submitted by RichC23 on Wednesday, 14 September, 2005 - 20:57
I just installed Jedit on my Window XP PC. Everything works fine through the UI, but when I print to my HP Laserjet, instead of spaces between words it prints little empty boxes (square frame). How do I get rid of the little boxes?

Thanks,
Rich
Perl folding in jEdit 4.2
Submitted by Phrawm48 on Sunday, 21 August, 2005 - 00:07
Running jEdit 4.2 I get folding for C++ and HTML but not for Perl blocks.

jEdit seems to recognize that I'm editng a Perl file and I've tried experimenting with various fold settings, etc., without success.

Is anyone else using jEdit to write Perl scripts and if so does folding work?
jEdit cannot save files in a Samba share
Submitted by xlimbo on Friday, 19 August, 2005 - 09:33
Ok, I've seen another thread (http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/2106#2193) which refers to a problem similar to my own but not quite.

I've got a Samba share, with write permission, which I access from my Windows XP box. Symptoms are:

1. With editors other than jEdit (e.g. http://www.crimsoneditor.com/) I can change and save existing files.

2. When I try to save the file with jEdit I get the message:
"Cannot Save: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Z:\tmp\readonly.txt (access denied)".

My configuration is:

1. Samba share - Linux FC3 box;
2. jEdit access machine - Windows XP box;
3. JRE version - 1.5.0_04
4. jEdit version - 4.2final

Thanks for the help anyone may give me.

--XicoLimbo
Can't resize buffer in Linux
Submitted by Amaddeus on Thursday, 18 August, 2005 - 21:38
I have been using jEdit for a couple of years in Windows for my PHP development. I'm trying to make the big switch to Linux, and keep using jEdit. The first thing I attempted after installing it is to make the text area larger by dragging the bottom right corner. Well, jEdit expands, but the text area stays the same, vertically and horizontally. I've looked all over for any setting I can find but have found nothing. I can only see 25 lines at a time.

Can anyone set me straight? Is this a Linux thing?

Thanks,
Jedit and something like Intellisense (Jedit newbe)
Submitted by polp on Wednesday, 17 August, 2005 - 14:26
hallo, I am fresh Jedit newbe and I like it a lot! Sorry for stupid question, but I am confused if Jedit can or cannot use something like Intellisense technology for HTML (PHP). To expres myself clear - i mean intellisense in way how in dreamweawer, delphi and so on is used.

thank you
Russian translation (?)
Submitted by Siver on Tuesday, 16 August, 2005 - 18:17
Hi,

I would like to work under Russian translation of the jEdit help.
Could anybody tell me somethink like starting point or other suggestions?
May be there is already a Russian translation?..

Regards,

Andrey
InfoViewer how to select external browser?
Submitted by tantebootsy on Saturday, 13 August, 2005 - 21:23
Hi,

I want to use Firefox in InfoViewer as external browser but don't know what to put into the "external browser command" line.
Can anyone of you guys give me a hint?

Thx,
Michael
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348