jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
OpenGL Accelerated Java2d with jedit
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 30 September, 2004 - 11:33
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get an improvement with the jdk1.5 with opengl acceleration on linux or windows ?

I don't see any speed increase when I run jedit with "java -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true" on my linux box.

PS. Is there a known way to understand if opengl acceleration is being used or not ?

Thanks.
Plugin Bundle (Nightly?/Other?)
Submitted by dogleg on Wednesday, 29 September, 2004 - 14:46
Is there an aggregate file containing the Plugin Central plugins as a single file download?
Could really use a plugin aggregate file with all the prerequisites.
Any periodic (nightly) frequency for creating the bundle would do.
I'm working offline/wireless on a machine and do not have high speed lazy load capability per plugin.
AutoFormat ?
Submitted by theWax on Wednesday, 29 September, 2004 - 08:56
i have a very messy .js file.
How can I autoformat it now within jEdit?
Cheers.
jan
Working directory
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 27 September, 2004 - 22:09
Is there a way to get the working directory to follow the current directory in the File System Browser? I looked all through the Options, the Help and this forum for any information but could not find any. Am I blind or isn't this an option?
Saving Search Result
Submitted by digitsnake on Monday, 27 September, 2004 - 13:52
Can someone show me how to save the HyperSearch Result into a file?
Thanks.
Declaring Schema/DTD for XML files
Submitted by Michael36 on Monday, 27 September, 2004 - 10:53
Hello,

I'm not able to tell jEdit the location of the DTD of my XML document.

There is a system identifier within the XML file (...!DOCTYPE note SYSTEM "note.dtd"...). The DTD file resides in the same directory.

But nevertheless the XMLInsert module of jEdit does not make any proposals for allowed elements/tags at caret position since the DTD wasn't recogised at all.

Do I have to edit any catalog or configuration files? Who can help?

Greetings and thanks in advance,

Michael.
keyboard shortcut to switch apps doesn't work in Win
Submitted by cssjunkie on Sunday, 26 September, 2004 - 23:15
Is there some trick to allow me to switch apps when I'm using jedit?
Notmally a+tab will step thru the open apps in Win, but when jedit
gets in front it won't let go. Since I switch apps constantly to test
CSS problems in different browsers, this is a major hassle. I refuse
to handle the rodent every time I need to switch away from jedit.

I sure hope there is a fix for this, because otherwise it's a great
editor.
OSX file associations
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 25 September, 2004 - 19:55
Since I upgraded to jedit 4.2, after I save the file, it becomes associated with jedit, how do I stop that?

thanx
Not your everday problem
Submitted by GermanJonus on Saturday, 25 September, 2004 - 18:51
Ok. So I feel kinda stupid, but I was programming along, when suddenly my cursor changed! I mean the cursor which represnts where you are in the text field. It went from my beloved "I" cursor, to something that looks like an underscore "_". I know this is probably a very basic problem, but I can't seem to find where I change this back. I tired Utilities>Global Options... and other ares, but couldn't find anything. I was able to switch back and forth between "_" and a block, or make it blink/not blink, but I didn't see anything else. Sorry for disturbing all you serious progammers with this, but this is starting to get really annoying for me. Any help would be...uhhh...helpful. Thanks.
Suppressing Console's standard message?
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 19:38
Let's say I have a simple macro to run a DOS command:

clearConsole ( view );
   runInSystemShell ( view, "echo Hi there" );

The output that I would like to see in the Console window is:

Hi there

Instead, I get:

This shell runs operating system processes.

Press TAB with an empty command line to list built-in commands.
   Run built-in with --help argument to get a brief usage message.
   Run %help to view Console plugin online help.

Errors generated by compilers and some other programs are listed
   for easy one-click access in the 'Plugins->Error List->Error List'
   window.
   Working directory is C:\Program Files\jEdit
   > echo Hi there
   Hi there
   Process echo exited with code 0
   Working directory is C:\Program Files\jEdit

Is there a way to suppress all that extraneous stuff that Console is putting out?

Thanks.
Auto-indent for XML mode?
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 13:56
jEdit XML mode is fantastic, but seems to be missing auto-indent as other modes have - am I missing something?
Sidekick / structure browser and html files
Submitted by kimjim on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 10:52
Hello, I run the newest jEdit on Mac OS X 10.3.5. I have a little problem with the structure browser. It doesn't render html pages correctly if I don't close link tags within the <head> with space + /. It displays the body as a child to head if i do not close, and displays correctly if do. But space + / is not html, it's xml AFAIK, and htmltidy doesn't like it.
My doctype declaration should be correct:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
"http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-html40/loose.dtd">
or
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

So maybe this is some kind of settings problem? Where does side kick / structure browser store information about the different doctypes? Should I download a cataloge file for my html 40 trans documents? Where could I get such a file, and where to place it?
Or is there anything else I can do about it?
Thanks for any help, kimjim
Modifying the prefix shortcut Ctrl-E
Submitted by TomDok on Friday, 24 September, 2004 - 10:19
Hello all,

started using jEdit more intensively and I would like to have jEdit as much as possible the same shortcuts as Netbeans. I can modify shortcuts in jEdit, but I don't know how to change Ctrl-E in jEdit.
In jEdit Ctrl-E represents a prefix for a shortcut. Entering it in the "Specify shortcut" dialog disables the OK-button.

My question is: is it possible to modify Ctrl-E, and if so: how ?

Thanks,

Tom

FYI: Ctrl-E in Netbeans means deleteLine.
jEdit and Zope External Editor
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 22 September, 2004 - 06:28
Hi,

I'm trying to use jEdit with the Zope External Editor. However, even with the -wait option, jEdit seems to detach itself from the controlling process. Does anyone have any hints about how to get this working? Thanks. I'm running jEdit 4.2final on WinXP.
Write Mode to treat period as a charchter?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 21:29
I have a custom mode that I use. In this mode, a period is treated as a character. I would like to act as if abc.def were treated as a word when I double click to hilight or alt-. ctl-b etc.

ie.

[a-zA-Z0-9_\.]
Getting rid of built-in Commandos from the list?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 16:47
Is there a way to get rid of the built-in Commandos from the list displayed at the bottom of Plugins/Console? I don't care about a whole bunch of them, so from my point of view, they're just clutter.

Thanks.
Compiling
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 16:43
If I understand compiling correctly, you have to make a Commando thing inside of the Console plugin. This seems overly complicated for what I want to do.

Really, I just want to be able to be able to associate some keystroke or button or whatever with an arbitrary shell command, which automatically can take the buffer's filename (or parts thereof) as parameters. For example, in UltraEdit (which is what I've been using, up until this experiment with jEdit), I have some keystrokes set up to do the following:

c89 %F -Wversion3 -Wsystype="guardian" -Werrors=10 -Wsyntax -Wextensions -Wverbose

And that "%F" in there is automatically replaced by the filename of the buffer. So, with just a simple set of keystrokes, I can invoke my chosen operation on the current buffer's file, using the options that I already know I want, and the output of the operation just pops up automatically.

Not only is this faster and easier than going through some popup GUI dialog generated by some Commando script, but also you don't have to go through the hassle of writing the Commando script in the first place.

Is there a way to do something like this in jEdit?

By the way, I'm not intending to badmouth Commando - it seems like it will be very useful in some situations. It's just that in this situation, it seems like overkill for no benefit.
Adding a new shell to Console?
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 21 September, 2004 - 16:27
I would like to use Cygwin via the Console plugin. I gather that I would have to add it as a new shell (along with the default "System" and "BeanShell" shells). Unfortunately, unless I missed something, the help files only seem to describe how to add a new shell programatically for some plugin that you're theoretically creating.

I'm not creating a new plugin. Is there a way to add a new shell just through some menu option or something? I haven't been able to find one.
Highlighting only between brackets?
Submitted by Anonymous on Monday, 20 September, 2004 - 13:10
Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to restrict literal highlighting to
space between brackets.

I tried to solve my problem with reg-expressions but it
did not work.

example:
In the following lines I want to apply the literal
highlighting (everything between ' and ' should be highlighted)
within the brackets:
options = ('option1 ', 'option2 ', 'option3 ', parameter)
matrix = [ 'sting1' ; 'string2' ]
But I do NOT want to have the highlighting applied in lines like this:
result = a'*b/c'

Does anybody has an idea how to solve this problem?
Is there a simple way to apply literal highlighting only
within brackets? To nest span rules?

Thanks a lot
Superscript, jRuby: 'buffer' and 'textArea' undefined?
Submitted by mhuggett on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 12:17
I'd like to write a macro using JRuby and the Superscript plugin. However, the variables 'buffer' and 'textArea' seem to be undefined (despite what's written in the Superscript documentation). I was wondering if anyone here had had any success writing jEdit macros in Ruby.

Matt
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83283