jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Faster startup
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 14 May, 2004 - 08:10
(I know about the background mode.) If JEdit could be faster at startup it would be great. Maybee something to try could be SwingWT at https://sourceforge.net/projects/swingwt.
Docking windows open to outside
Submitted by uhuebner on Wednesday, 12 May, 2004 - 05:53
I am using jEdit not at full screen and fit it's size to the text. So when I open a docking window it reduces my editing window. It would be great if there would be an option to expand docking windows to the outside leaving the editing window untouched.

Thanks
uhuebner
Show size of selected text
Submitted by uhuebner on Wednesday, 12 May, 2004 - 05:48
I often have to check the length of a text/variable. In UltraEdit I used to just select the text and it showed the length in the status bar. Can this be implemented?

Thanks
uhuebner
Encryption
Submitted by Junkeh on Sunday, 9 May, 2004 - 02:31
I think that If a feature such as encryption was added to jedit, it would make it that much better. Because I have not found an encryption utility for mac os [ any version ].

The kinds of encryption I am thinking of is 128 bit to 256 bit encryption with a password. [ you can't decrypt something without the password used to encrypt it.].
Actually check to code to see what mode to go into
Submitted by imgod2u on Friday, 7 May, 2004 - 21:21
Right now (as far as I know), jEdit checks the file extension (.c or .java for example) to decide what editing mode to go into. However, both C, Objective-C and C++ all use .h files. And the default is to go into Objective-C. Would it be possible to have jEdit actually check the code (for instance, if there's "class" inside a .h file, it's obviously c++) as well as the extension? This way I won't have to manually change the editing mode (which affects the syntax highlighting).
backspace unindent
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 7 May, 2004 - 06:03
SciTE has this feature, which is the reverse of "tab indent". With this, I can press backspace once to clear an indentation, instead of pressing it n times (n = tab width). I know the existances of shift-tab and alt-left, but "backspace unindent" can be more efficient in some cases, plus I already get used to it Eye-wink
Global Plugins & settings folder
Submitted by CyberSkull on Thursday, 6 May, 2004 - 03:34
Is it possible for jEdit to install plugins/macros in '/Library' in OSX? I don't know how to migrate the plugins from one version to the next without just re-installing (slow, even on broadband). Perhaps in '/Library/Application Support/jEdit'? I think that would bed a good path. Anything version specific would either be installed in the application directory or in a folder with the version name.
Big files
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 29 April, 2004 - 08:36
Hi! I've a DB-dump file of 450 MB that I need to edit. When I open the file JEdit complains of insufficient Java heap memory (I know that I can adjust the heap memory size). I would like JEdit to be able to open files of almost any size without the need to change the Java heap memory size. I think some editors open big files by opening a part of the file. This would be my #2 most wanted feature!
Thannks!
Spooky
code folding
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 24 April, 2004 - 17:12
Code folding is great, please implement it.
egz. www.jcreator.com --> try this feature...
Something similar to old emacs iso-accents-mode would be great!
Submitted by davidbourguignon on Saturday, 24 April, 2004 - 11:19
Dear all,

I recently switched from emacs to jedit with no regret. However, being French and using a qwerty keyboard (for programming), I really miss one emacs feature: iso-accents-mode. This feature seems straightforward and would help thousands of people struggling to find characters such as ß (German), ø (Dane) and ç (French) on their keyboards...

For people frequently typing in an "accented letters language" this emacs thing is much more convenient than the traditional "insert special character" GUI, such as the CharacterMap plugin.

However, if this feature already exist somewhere in a plugin, I will try again to find it on plugin central... Eye-wink

Thanks in advance for your help,

David.
Logical file grouplings or workspaces
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 22 April, 2004 - 17:47
Often I need a core set of files, often depending on the exact task I am working on. Through the course of the day, I may open many extra files, or perhaps work on two or three seperate tasks. It would be nice of I could group a set of documents to a workspace/group/what-have-you, and open all the files in one shot. That way if I get too many open, I can close all files and start from scratch. I can open my config files, my current tasks, or perhaps a set of XML documents.

Not sure if this would be good for a plug in or for the program itself, then again, perhaps this feature exists and I just missed it.

Tom
catalog DIRECTORY_NAME_GLOB
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 21 April, 2004 - 14:24
It would be nice to be able to specify directory locations for modes in the catalog file.

For example I need something like this:

<MODE NAME="interchange" FILE="interchange.xml"
FILE_NAME_GLOB="*.*"
DIRECTORY_NAME_GLOB="S:\*" />

This would instruct JEdit that all files in the directory S:\ and subdirectories thereof should use the interchange format mode.

In this example it would be used for specifying an Interchange shopping cart catalog location. Files used by Interchange can have any number of extensions including .html, .cfg, etc. They are always confined to a specific location so that is where the additional specifier would come in handy.

Thank you for making such a great editor!
Buffer Switching using recently edited buffers
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 21 April, 2004 - 10:32
Hi,
A feature to cycle back through the buffer history of recently edited files would be great.
e.g. ultra-edit,ms visual studio, komodo etc. hold down ctrl and press tab repeatedly to cycle back through most recently edited files.
e.g. alt-tab in windows to cycle to most recently used application.
Thanks
Michael
Folding with XML mode / plugin : can folded nodes show better single-line information?
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 17 April, 2004 - 05:04

If I have:

<product> Cereal ....etc. </product>

and I fold it, I get:

<product> [26 lines]
</product>

It is possible to get something like:

<product>Cereal...[26 lines]

1. Don't show the end tag, it adds no information: more space efficient

2. Do show the 1st line of element/attribute content: "outline" readable when folded

Thanks!
Set window layout
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 15 April, 2004 - 22:37
I had just downloaded JEdit. I had seen in JEdit screenshot different layout for main window that include console, file manager and so on. How can I set my window layout? I must download a plugin? and wath plugin I must download? thanks to all
Language Pack
Submitted by littleelephant on Thursday, 15 April, 2004 - 21:02
Any one know if it's possible to add a language pack to JEdit?
VB NET
Submitted by rene on Saturday, 10 April, 2004 - 13:32
VB NET support will be a good thing
Simple (PHP)-Code Analyzer
Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, 9 April, 2004 - 16:01
I would like to see one nice feature in jEdit for PHP-Mode (or generally in all possible for other people). Just a simple code analyzer. Didn´t found it as plugin, yet. It should parse the current buffer for i.e. uninitialized variables (assigning values before initializing it), unused variables (used only on time), scanning statements (wrong operators = instead of == or =< instead of <= and so on), check line ends on : instead of ; (this happens often to "fast writers" like me Smiling ) resulting in "parse error" and listing of all functions including parameters for quick navigation (although it can be done by using folding smartly). This is the only big missing point for me against one special commercial PHP-IDE and I won´t miss jEdit anymore after two years and waiting impatiently for 4.2final. Of course, I could setup a PHP-Script for this but programmers are some kind of lazy - you know what I mean... Eye-wink
Add Saxan Support to XSLT Plugin
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 6 April, 2004 - 14:33
Hi-

Could Saxan support be added to the XSLT plugin? Currently, the XSLT plugin cannot support XSLT 2.0 b/c it is not using a 2.0 transform engine.

Anyone else out there itching to get XSLT 2.0 working via JEdit?

Thanks,

Eric Everman

(Note - I posted this to some other forum/mailing list, but I've lost track of my earlier post...)
Auto-Reload Feature
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 6 April, 2004 - 09:08
It'd be really nice if a future version of jedit incorporated the 'auto-reload' feature found in e.g. textpad. I've found this really useful as a poor man's tail -f substitute.
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281