jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
'Lock Buffer Feature'
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 18:16
Hi.

Many times, I have faced this problem when working on several buffers: am I editing the file I think I am editing ? I could realize it with a quick look on the tabs, but I guess we programmers can be quite distracted sometimes, and if I have two PHP sources open at the same time, I would think I am writing on file A while in fact, I am writing file B which should not be touched.

Of course, I could change the file permissions in order to prevent myself from doing something stupid. But not always.

My request is: I would like JEdit to have some mechanism to allow me to prohibit myself to write to a buffer. I would 'Lock' the buffer I do not want to write, and I could work with the two of them open at the same time. JEdit would still allow to select and copy text, but not write to the buffer.

So, what do you guys say ? Have you ever run into this same distraction ? Would this be useful ?

See ya
Leonel
File System Browser Back and Forward Buttons and Customize Browser Toolbar
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 14:52
Back/Forward Buttons
--------------------
The File System Browser includes reload and to parent buttons to navigate folders, but not back and forward buttons. Such buttons would allow for easy use of previously accessed folders, for opening buffers related to current tasks.

Moreover, Back and Forward buttons on similar applications for fily system browsing are prevasive in file management software and with Web browsers.

Customize File System Browser Toolbar
-------------------------------------
With the addition of such buttons, ideally, Options:File System Browser:General, would also include the specification of the type and order of buttons to display in the toolbar for the file system browser. For instance, maybe a user would like to have the back/forward buttons displayed before the Parent Directory button, or after the Reload Directory button, or not at all.
User definable menu options for command line driven programs
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 14 February, 2004 - 22:38
To start, I'll say that I am very impressed with Jedit. Thank you for all the hard work from the programmers associated. A small request I'd like to make. For a long time I used UltraEdit by IDM and it was and still is a fine product. It had a feature that embedded programmers like myself use that allowed me to define menu options that would run console commands without having to pull up the console.

Is there a plugin for something like this now?
jEdit icon pack and ToolBar-Icons
Submitted by incsMueller on Thursday, 12 February, 2004 - 10:18
Hi community,
I've download the jEdit icon pack from jedit.org. My problem is now, that I can't find any information about how to install this pack !?
Furthermore I've download some icons from Phoenity for the toolbar. How can I integrate this in JEdit ? Ok to add the icons one by one manual above the Options-Menu it's no problem, but how can I add the whole icons, e.g. over a properties file ?

Thanks a lot for helping answers.
incs
Doco
Submitted by dbareis on Thursday, 12 February, 2004 - 09:49
I think downloads should contain documentation, I've just downloaded the XP icons download and have no idea what to do with them, no readme or anything. The mangled tooltip on the site says something about JAVA_HOME which I'm not sure what this is and "jre\lib\ext" which as far as I can see this subtree doesn't exist.

My 2 cents worth,
Dennis
Eclipse.org plugin? Plus Others
Submitted by dbareis on Thursday, 12 February, 2004 - 09:22
1. As far as I can see JEDIT had no eclipse plugin capability (eclipse.org), is this planned?

2. I would like JEDIT to support projects. The plugin is a bit ordinary. What would be enough for me is to be able to be able to have main jedit settings in one file which I can ask JEDIT to use from the command line, I would want this to contain the state info, files loaded etc. I can then write a simple batch file which looks for this file in the current directory or use central one if none found.
I would then be able to do what I've been able to do for years and that is start my editor in any projects directory and continue working EXACTLY like I left it, even if this was a year ago...

Bye,
Dennis
porting to P900 mobile phone
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 7 February, 2004 - 15:07
Do anyone has interest to port jext to work in P900 mobile phone? is it possible to do that?
thanks
yan
File Inspector (Navigate Classes and Functions and Variables)
Submitted by Travis Carden on Thursday, 5 February, 2004 - 01:24
The Zend Development Environment has a really cool feature they call "File Inspector". It parses PHP files and lists in a side bar all the functions, classes, variables, and constants and links them to the location of their declaration in the file they're in. That's WAY cool. Features are explained at http://www.zend.com/store/products/studio-editing-features.php.
Word processor?
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 29 January, 2004 - 21:59
Hello jedit-community,
I hope I'm not annoying with a question that has been asked a thousend times already - I'm looking for a word processor for an open-source java project ( it's going to teach chemistry at schools). I've lerand tha jedit is _not_ a word processor, but a text editor - but are there any developents to make it becoming something like a word processor, or it there any other java-program that can be use?
Google didn't help.
Thanks for your help
Philipp
Smaller icon sizes
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 29 January, 2004 - 19:32
Is there a way to make the graphical items a smaller size? One specific example is the HyperSearch Results. When I dock the results at the bottom of the view, the top edge of the results has an icon for "Remove All Nodes" and "Toggle Multiple Results". While these are occasionally useful, I would much rather have the space they use for a larger text area. The icons cause the border between the results and the edit area to be twice the size it needs to be.
Auto indent change
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 29 January, 2004 - 12:38
When you press enter the new line will be auto indented to the first previous indented line. I would like to change this so the new line would not be indented if the previous line where not in dented. (The behaviour is somewhat different with text, but I think you get the idea.) Example: If I got this: And press return the next line will be indented, like this: I wouldn't it like this: Hope I got my point through! Thanks!
Jazzy spell checking improvements
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 28 January, 2004 - 15:29
The most common reason for me to not use JEdit when I actually would like to use it is when writing plain human text, like this. When it comes to spell checking I almost always use MS Word. The spell checking features I'm missing are:
(1) Easy switching language. I often write text in both English and my native language and I would like to be able to fast and easy switch the active dictionary with a simple menu. I think this one should be pretty simple to implement!?
(2) I really like the MS Word spell checking when you're writing. Misspelled words are marked with a red underline. If you like to change the word you can do it by the keyboard, or you can right click the word and you get a popup menu with suggestions.
Any chance to get these features implemented in Jazzy (or any other way into JEdit)? This would be one of the most appreciated JEdit feature that I can think of. In my opinion it would greatly improve the hole of JEdit!
(By the way, I had to write this feature request in MS World, not in JEdit Sad.)
I like both JEdit and Jazzy Smiling, see you!
Strange Windows behaiver
Submitted by Anonymous on Wednesday, 28 January, 2004 - 14:59
I've noticed two strange and annoying behaviors of the JEdit window in Windows. I can live with them, but it would be nice if they where fixed. I'm not really sure if this is a feature or a bug... anyway.
(1) When in Windows and clicking Windows + M to minimize all windows JEdit is not minimized. It just loses focus if it got it. This can be a bit annoying.
(2) When right clicking a file in Windows and clicking Open with JEdit the JEdit window comes to the front. But when selecting two files, right clicking, and clicking Show diff in JEdit the JEdit window doesn't come to front. It would be nice if it have the same behavior, coming to the front.
Anyone coding AntFarm
Submitted by aabbaabb on Wednesday, 28 January, 2004 - 14:08
Is anyone coding AntFarm anymore?

It has been "broken" for a while and there has been open bugs for it many months.
CSE HTML Validator integration
Submitted by Travis Carden on Wednesday, 28 January, 2004 - 08:47
You should consider providing integrated support for CSE HTML Validator. http://www.htmlvalidator.com/. HTML Validator is an "HTML and CSS development tool that assists in the creation of syntactically correct and accessible HTML and CSS documents". It's amazingly thorough and generally great at what it does, and lots of other professional editors are adding support for it - http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/integration.html. I just discovered jEdit today. It looks incredible! I'll be switching to it from Macromedia HomeSite. The only thing I can tell so far that I'll miss is my CSE HTML Validator integration. Please think about adding it. Thank you!!!
Mode System: Allow regexes in indent*Brackets property
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 27 January, 2004 - 20:08
Some languages don't use the typical squiglly brackets "{" to demarcate chunks of code. Nor do they use any brackets at all. With these languages it would be nice if the indentOpenBrackets and indentCloseBrackets properties would accept regexes as values just like the indentNextLine property does.

Now I could be mistaken and you *can* use regexes with the bracket properties. The fact that I couldn't get it to work doesn't mean much, but I don't think so. I see a few modes where people have tried and then commented out those tags. So, please consider this feature for a future jEdit release.
Allow specifying local/alternate servers to get plug-ins
Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, 27 January, 2004 - 18:57
It would be handy if I could host a local repository of plug-ins developed specifically for in-house purposes for jEdit and allow people to download them using the regular plug-in manager.

I suppose this wouldn't be hard for me to implement... hmmm...
lex/flex and yacc/bison
Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, 24 January, 2004 - 04:03
Add to the already large body of programming and language tools by including modes for these popular compiler and lexical analyzer tools.
per-buffer font setting
Submitted by herman_ivan on Friday, 23 January, 2004 - 10:06
At present, the only way one can change the font is through the general option setting. It would be nice if I could do that either through file type, or even for a buffer (essentially, adding this option to the global option/buffer option menu).

Why? For most of the programming job one uses Courier or similar for well-known reasons. However, I sometimes have to edit multilingual RDF/XML files, that includes various indic, chinese, korean, etc, scripts. I can do it very well with jEdit, provided that for that particular buffer I use a proper unicode font that has those unicode characters. On my machine at least that is Arial Unicode MS. SO the only thing I can do is to change the font for jEdit in general to edit this file, and then change it back to Courier if I want to edit, for example, a txt or a python file.
SSH Plugin
Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, 22 January, 2004 - 21:56
Hey everyone Im a college student whose school recently took all the ftp servers offline since they werent secure enough anymore. Does anyone know about an ssh plugin for jedit? Id like to continue using jedit for programming but since my school no longer accepts ftp clients I cant effectivly work in jedit anymore. If its not being made Im hoping someone can maybe start working on it. I know a lot of programmers that are having the same difficulties now with the change over from ftp to an ssh.
Thanks
Macros
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281