jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Block Insert Broken?
Submitted by herr_jon on Tuesday, 29 July, 2008 - 20:00
Using block insert, using + , to select regions of a file for txt insertion used to work but now creates irregular areas. The way I've been using this feature is in the columns before or after existing text I select a zero width column then type new contents in that collumn. What used to happen was each character would be equally spaced from the left hand margin - what happens now is the spacing is variable. Can this be fixed? Thanks, Jon
Searching a temporary buffer
Submitted by dcox on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 13:21
Is a search of a temporary buffer without actually physically opening the buffer onto the user's screen possible?
jEdit No Longer Loads in Vista
Submitted by dustinfineout on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 14:29
I've seen this reported before by users who installed a Windows update and subsequently were unable to open jEdit. I did not install any updates, though, just tried to go to work this morning with no luck.

I installed jEdit with the Windows installer about 3 months ago on this machine, which is running Vista Home Premium, and have had no problems until today. Now, when I try to open jEdit, a javaw.exe process is spawned and hangs. This happens whether I run through the installed shortcut, directly run the exe, or run from command line, and regardless of whether I run as administrator. I've uninstalled jEdit to try different releases, and I cleared all temporary and application data and rebooted after each uninstall. The same thing happens regardless what I try. Also the latest Windows update I've installed was on the 20th and I tried uninstalling that (didn't help).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've used jEdit almost exclusively for about 2 years now - it's become a very powerful tool for me so I'd hate to have to move back to other editors.
missing encoding big5 on xp on global settings
Submitted by kitsguru on Wednesday, 30 July, 2008 - 22:26
I am running xp professional and have need to use big5 encoding however it is not an option under global encodings, in fact there are several encodings that appear to be missing but this is the only one I need.

I have de-installed and then re-installed jedit 1.43pre14 to no avail. I have search microsoft and the web to see if I could find anything relevant but came up with nothing useful. Other programs on the same machine should the big5 encoding option.

Any ideas what might be the problem?
indicate progress, status bar
Submitted by takeshin on Thursday, 31 July, 2008 - 17:36
I wrote a macro which takes a long time to execute.
(while loop operating on texarea text). While the macro works, jEdit is frozen, and user may think it hanged.
How to notify user that everything is ok?
How to set statusbar message?

How to indicate progress of the macro?
It would be nice to have message box saying: macro in progress… [cancel]

How to use observers in macros?

--
regards,
takeshin
tabs and indentation
Submitted by rv on Friday, 1 August, 2008 - 11:44
Been using jEdit for a while now and noticed that sometimes the indentation is showed differently than on other text editors.
For instance, try these lines in gedit and jEdit and you'll notice that the third backslash appears as it is missing a tab in indentation.

#define PG_ALLOC(class) \
(pg_classes[class].pgc_ops->alloc ? \
pg_classes[class].pgc_ops->alloc() : \
pg_classes[pg_default_cid].pgc_ops->alloc())

My settings are set for 8 character long tabs. This is somewhat annoying, anyone knows how to get rid of it?

thanks
How to run a plugin on all files?
Submitted by Nyhm on Monday, 4 August, 2008 - 17:33
How do I run a plugin's buffer operation on all files within my project?

More specifically, I'd like to run the WhiteSpace "remove trailing whitespace" capability on all my .java files (either based on ProjectViewer's file tree or just recursively on file system). I'd like to do the same with LazyImporter's "Quick Import" (to sort my import statements).

Is there a general way to batch execute such operations? Thanks!
command line
Submitted by srikrishnan on Tuesday, 5 August, 2008 - 12:12
Hi All,

I want to use "Indent XML" plugin option in a command line prompt. Is it possible? If it is possible can anyone help me to use the syntax

Regards,
Srikrishnan
Find default to word under cursor
Submitted by FredJones on Tuesday, 5 August, 2008 - 16:49
Is there a plugin or config option to allow me to just place the cursor on a word and then have the Find or Find Again automatically use that word?

Thank you.
Make Scriptlet (Make_Scriptlet.bsh v1.0 by Tomasz Peszor)
Submitted by takeshin on Thursday, 7 August, 2008 - 08:19
Macro for creating valid HTML bookmarklets. Compress JavaScript to one line of code, removing newline characters and other whitespaces in the current buffer or selection. Makes the text appropriate for use as a JavaScript bookmarklet. Based on Make_Bookmarklet.bsh by delvinj, but my version produces valid HTML source.
PHP Debugger - Xdebug
Submitted by ApeHanger on Friday, 8 August, 2008 - 11:29
Hello,

i have been using jEdit for over 8 years, mostly for developing php apps. A useful feature would be the integration of xdebug http://xdebug.org/ in jEdit. Xdebug is widely supported by other IDEs:

* Dev-PHP (IDE: Windows)
* Eclipse plugin, which has been submitted as an enhancement for the PDT (IDE).
* ActiveState's Komodo (IDE: Windows, Linux, Mac; Commercial).
* NetBeans (IDE: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris.
* Notepad++ plugin (IDE: Windows).
* WaterProof's PHPEdit (IDE, from version 2.10: Windows; Commercial).
* Anchor System's Peggy (IDE: Windows, Japanese; Commercial).
* MP Software's phpDesigner (IDE: Windows, Commercial).
* Protoeditor (Editor: Linux).
* tsWebeditor (Editor: Windows).
* Xored's TrueStudio IDE (IDE; Commercial).
* VIM plugin (Tutorial) (Editor Plugin).
* jcx software's VS.Php (MS Visual Studio Plugin; Commercial).
* XDebugClient - Standalone Windows client.

Thank you guys for jEdit!

With regards

ApeHanger
Rails - Open Related File (open_related_files.zip v1.2 by Mario Aquino)
Submitted by mario_aquino on Saturday, 9 August, 2008 - 15:06
JEdit macro for navigating between related files in a Rails project. The Rails directory needs to be copied into your /.jedit/macros directory. You will need to have the Ruby and SideKick JEdit plugins as well as the "ruby" executable for your platform visible in the "path". This macro has been tested on Windows and Linux (OS X users will have to settle for TextMate ;-) ).
BufferTabs 1.1.0
Submitted by thewiglaf on Tuesday, 12 August, 2008 - 02:37
I installed jEdit 4.3pre15 and thus needed to install the latest BufferTabs plugin that was released today (0.8.3 will not load on 4.3pre10). Two things:

1. You can no longer change the position of individual tabs by dragging them. Now they'll just stay in whatever position they get loaded in.

2. The jEdit site says 0.8.3 works with 4.2final and up. Unless I need to do some extra leg work to get it loaded with 4.3pre15, that's wrong.

I've decided I want to keep 4.3pre15 with our without movable tabs. Is there a way to get these tabs to change position or do we all have to wait for another release if we want to use 4.3pre15?
KunststoffLookAndFeel exception
Submitted by powery on Thursday, 14 August, 2008 - 13:11
Do you have same problem?

jEdit 4.3pre15 java 1.6.0_02 windows xp

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.incors.plaf.kunststoff.KunststoffLookAndFeel
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.loadSystemClass(SwingUtilities.java:1848)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:580)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.initPLAF(jEdit.java:3393)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:418)
Errors in jEdit Community site
Submitted by powery on Friday, 15 August, 2008 - 08:59
There are errors on jEdit Community site.

For example:

user error: Can't open file: 'cache.MYI' (errno: 145)
query: SELECT data, created FROM cache WHERE cid = 'archive:calendar:1217574000' in /home/groups/j/je/jedit-community/htdocs/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 90.
MalformedByteSequenceException in JEdit 4.3pre15
Submitted by dhschulten on Friday, 15 August, 2008 - 09:07
After installing the new jedit, I get a red label 1 error(s) in the lower right. When I double click it, the following stack trace appears. Something in the buffer history seems to be wrong, but how can I fix this?

com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipChar(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.gjt.sp.util.XMLUtilities.parseXML(XMLUtilities.java:125)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.SettingsXML.load(SettingsXML.java:150)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BufferHistory.load(BufferHistory.java:175)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.main(jEdit.java:441)
File size indicator in status bar?
Submitted by tvojeho on Saturday, 16 August, 2008 - 17:08
Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to display the size of current buffer in the status bar. Many editors show this information, and I think it would be convenient. I did not find anything in the help files on this, perhaps some plugin displays it, but I did not find any either.

Cheers, tvojeho
Macro or shortcut for Reload with Encoding UTF-8
Submitted by JanciB on Sunday, 17 August, 2008 - 17:24
How can I make macro for "Reload with Encoding UTF-8"? Or can it have a shortcut? I use it often and it is annoying to go through the menu every time.
Font substitution for missing characters?
Submitted by Landei on Sunday, 17 August, 2008 - 18:51
I use JEdit to write HTML pages containing Japanese. Unicode support is fine and all, but...
If I type in MS Word or Open Office using a Font which doesn't support Japanese characters, the application chooses another font in order to show them. This is more important as it sounds, because a lot of fonts containing Japanese look good when using Japanese, but you get eye cancer when using the Latin character set, and worse, their Latin subset is not monospaced (at least I found no such font for free).
So I'd suggest that you can define a font which will substitute all character the normal font can't display.

Cheers,
Landei
Search and replace - right way
Submitted by takeshin on Sunday, 17 August, 2008 - 21:48
I have recorded macro like this:

SearchAndReplace.setSearchString("\\{[\\s\\t]+"); SearchAndReplace.setReplaceString("\\{ "); SearchAndReplace.setBeanShellReplace(false); SearchAndReplace.setIgnoreCase(true); SearchAndReplace.setRegexp(true); SearchAndReplace.setSearchFileSet(new CurrentBufferSet()); SearchAndReplace.replaceAll(view);

It works fine, but slow and it beeps each time and so on.

How it should be coded using java.util.regex?

--
regards,
takeshin
User login
Browse archives
« July 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348