jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Console Plugin - Reading command output
Submitted by weberjn on Thursday, 22 April, 2010 - 11:43
Hi,

has somebody a sample of piping a text area to an external program and getting its output back like with vi
(http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/57727)?
I guess this should be possible, shouldn't it?

select text -> Console -> run current buffer gives "There is no interpreter associated with this buffer"

Thanks,
Juergen
Buffer Selector buggy in latest version?
Submitted by smeet on Wednesday, 21 April, 2010 - 23:46
I've been using Buffer Selector for a while with no problems in version 4.1final, and just upgraded JEdit to version 4.3.1 using java 1.6.0_18.
Buffer Selector now spews out stuff like this:
5:10:00 PM [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] EditBus: Exception while sending message on EditBus:
>> 5:10:00 PM [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] EditBus: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.EBMessage.getSource()Lorg/gjt/sp/jedit/EBComponent;
>> 5:10:00 PM [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] EditBus: at bufferselector.BufferSelector.handleMessage(Unknown Source)
>> 5:10:00 PM [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] EditBus: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.dispatch(EditBus.java:212)
>> 5:10:00 PM [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] EditBus: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.sendImpl(EditBus.java:247)
>> 5:10:00 PM [AWT-EventQueue-0] [error] EditBus: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.send(EditBus.java:188)
etc...

It appears to mostly work, but sometimes it won't update the current file when I click in a different buffer etc. Am I missing something, or is this plugin no longer supported?

Thanks for any help,
smeet
I've lost my tag matching and autocomplete functionality
Submitted by jcaponi on Friday, 16 April, 2010 - 19:52
Maybe it was the upgrade to 4.3, but I've lost some jedit functionality:

Tag matching - the highlight in the gutter that would link an opening and closing html tag, for instance; and
Tag autocomplete - being able to hit the tab key and close a bold tag, for instance, after hitting just the open bracket and backslash

What option or plug in do I need?
thanks!
Paste location at caret instead of cursor?
Submitted by BigDub on Wednesday, 14 April, 2010 - 01:57
I am a newbie -- evaluating jedit cuz it looks like a better editor than what I have been using. Mostly I like the feature set of jedit, but one thing really bugs the heck out of me. It may be a show-stopper for me if I can't change this behavior. Specifically, when I right click and choose paste from the popup, the clipboard gets pasted at the cursor rather than the caret. I think I am using the terminology right... The caret is a stationary spot in the text area that is set by left clicking. The cursor is a dynamically changing spot which tracks mouse movement. All other editors I have ever used paste at the caret and that is the way I would like to have it work. Is there a way? A setting? A plugin? A macro?

jedit version = 4.3.1
OS = Ubuntu Karmic (9.10)

Warren
Locating files
Submitted by strangelybrown on Thursday, 8 April, 2010 - 12:20
If a file references other include files within it, is it possible to locate it in the File Browser without having to manually scroll through the File Browser? I was originally hoping it would be possible to right click on an include reference in order to see the actual file in the file structure.

many thanks
Visible Tabs?
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 23 March, 2010 - 17:29
I have set my global options like this:

Tab Width: 4
Soft Tabs: checked

When I press the Tab character, the text is intended to the next multiple of 4 characters, and the intending is done by inserting spaces. This is OK.

When I however open a file which already containins tabs, these settings cause jedit to display the text alsoe tabulated to a multiple of 4, but there is no visual clue that we have a tab character (it looks not different from spaces).

What I would like, however, is the following behaviour:

- If the text contains "hard tabs", they should be displayed either using some special (rarely used) character - as most text editors do - or by using a different background colour - which I would prefer.

- In addition, I would like to set up a different tab width for hard tabs (for instance, 8 characters).

Is this possible with jEdit?
Focus jumps to source window
Submitted by coolcat on Thursday, 18 March, 2010 - 23:37
Hello, I'm hoping someone else can reproduce this frustrating problem that I experience 10 times a day. (PS I love JEdit and use it 8 hours a day).

Windows XP, Jedit 4.3.1
Plugin: Console 4.4.1 + ErrorList 1.8

I've implemented Error Patterns in Console to find errors from my c-compiler command line output. Works great. When compile is done, the error list plugin pops up with all the warnings / errors that I can click on to jump me to the code in question.

Problem: In the command window I type my build command and say it finishes with no errors or warnings. So I want to switch to a different directory (with a "cd" command) and run build again. Unfortunately, after I press the enter key after my first "cd" command, the focus suddenly jumps to the source window. I type very fast so I end up typing text into some random location in the source code.

Sounds trivial, but it happens again and again and again.

I've disabled "Auto-refocus on the text area" in the error list plugin, but that doesn't help.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Steve
Copy with format
Submitted by weberjn on Thursday, 18 March, 2010 - 07:20
JEdit has some really nice syntax highlighting, e.g. for HTML and XML.

Occasionally I'd like to paste a snippet from jEdit into MS Word, unfortunately the format of the text is lost.

Is there a way, e.g. with a plugin, to get format information into Windows clipboard (I guess this would be Rich Text)?

Thanks,
Juergen
Editing file using SFTP and saving with sudo
Submitted by xeph on Thursday, 18 March, 2010 - 06:08
Hello, I'm just wondering if jEdit have the function to connect to a server via sFTP, then do all the work in sudo mode?

Right now I have to sFTP client to connect to server, use sudo with all the command including vi.

Please help. Thanks.
Next/Previous Recent Buffer (recently viewed)
Submitted by chambery on Wednesday, 17 March, 2010 - 13:35
Hi,

Is there a way to bind a key to Next Recent Buffer and Previous Recent Buffer?

There's the "Go to Recent Buffer" available (which toggles between the last two buffers), but I'm looking for functionality along the lines of Eclipse, where the buffers are in "most recently viewed order". I'd like to be able to iterate up/down among them with a keybinding.

Thanks,

Todd
How to compile and run a java file?
Submitted by jeremyzeehk on Friday, 5 March, 2010 - 23:08
So i am leaning java with jedit. and in PC, at the bottom, there is a console and i type "javac" and "java" to compile and run java program. but now im have a mac, but there is no console button, and i dont know how to compile it. can anyone help me?
Moving rectangual selection of text with jedit?
Submitted by oleg on Friday, 5 March, 2010 - 17:00
Hi all!
I started using jedit a few weeks ago and I have couple of questions:

1) After making rectangular selection of text, how can I move text block left, right up or down. This feature would be very useful to change indentation of the code section

2) Can I force hypersearch to highlight the words it found within the buffers ?

3) Whenever I use multiple vncviews, jedit will only start in the vncview that I started first. Whenever I try to execute jedit in the other view, new jedit window pops up in the first vncview.

4) How can I make hypersearch bar to search within multiple buffers. Hypersearch bar searches only within current buffer, I need to pop the dialog to search multiple buffer. Having another check box next to the bar that switches between current buffer and multiple buffers would be very nice.

5) Hypersearch bar keeps the search history. It keeps 20 past searches. Does the tool allow to increase the size of this history buffer?
Use jEdit as external editor
Submitted by lg on Thursday, 4 March, 2010 - 09:43
I want to use jEdit as external editor for my e-mail client. When invoking an external editor my e-mail client creates a temporary file and then opens the editor with that file as the argument. Then when I am finished editing I need to close the editor to notify the parent process that I am done. However since I almost always have jEdit open I don't want to close it in full (I might have 5-10 other buffers open) when I am done writing my e-mail, just close the current buffer.

What I need is a switch to jEdit that starts a separate process, disconnected from the current running instance of jEdit. I have looked at the man page and seen -wait, -newview, -newplainview and other switches but no one seems to do what I need. Have I missed something or is this a missing feature I should report?

Thanks
Unfocused gutter border
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 1 March, 2010 - 14:57
What exactly is the *unfocused* gutter border (configurable in GlobalOptions/jEdit/Gutter)? So far, I have only seen the colouring for the *focused* gutter border (i.e. the border between gutter and text area).

Ronald
How to change the Menu background to a color besides white?
Submitted by Think2010 on Wednesday, 17 February, 2010 - 01:57
In GlobalOptions:Editing there are options to change the font, but I didn't see one for color. In GlobalOptions:TextArea there are options to change the background color, but it doesn't effect menus.

I loaded Lookandfeel:Lipstick\Menu:Gradient\Themes:Default but don't see and option there either.
If this is not a feature I could probably modify Lookandfeel to do it. But I wanted to check here before trying that.
what happened to shtml capablities?
Submitted by cagirl on Tuesday, 16 February, 2010 - 09:25
I recently upgraded to jEdit 4.3.1, and now my favorite capabilities, tag completion and tag matching, are unavailable to shtml files. They're still there for html, but not shtml. I've tried changing the catalog, global options, etc. Can anyone tell me how to get these back?????

Desperate in CA
OpenIt plugin does not seem to work
Submitted by rovf on Thursday, 11 February, 2010 - 12:03
I see this problem with jEdit 4.3 pre16 on Windows and 4.3.1 on Linux:

When I invoke the OpenIt plugin, I get the entry field for the file name, but as I type, I do not get a list of files matching the name to be selected; and even if I did the full, absolut path to the file manually, and hit enter, nothing happens (and the OpenIt window stays open).

Furthermore, there seems to be no way to close the OpenIt window, nor to move it away.
Noisy jEdit keeps beeping
Submitted by rovf on Tuesday, 9 February, 2010 - 10:26
I'm running jEdit 4.3.1 (using Java 1.6, Linux, CDE). This jEdit seems to be in a "noisy mood": It usually beeps if

- I click somewhere into the text pane or a menu, or
- move the jEdit window

In particular because of the latter, I first thought it is a problem with the Window manager, but the problem occurs only with the jEdit window, not with the other windows.

Even more puzzling, the beep occurs only in maybe 80% of the cases. Sometimes, I can even do 5-6 clicks in a row without beep, and then I get a beep for the next 20-30 clicks consistently.

Any idea what is going on here?

Ronald
Refresh view after each SearchAndReplace pair in a macro loop
Submitted by d_l on Sunday, 7 February, 2010 - 23:18
I have a macro with a number of SearchAndReplace steps in a loop.
I am not seeing the step-by-step changes in buffer view after each SearchandReplace
until macro end end.
What command can I add to force the refresh of TextArea after each pass of SearchAndReplace?

SearchAndReplace.setSearchString(textToSearch);
SearchAndReplace.setReplaceString(textToReplace);
SearchAndReplace.setBeanShellReplace(false);
SearchAndReplace.setSearchFileSet(new CurrentBufferSet());
SearchAndReplace.replaceAll(view);
regexp plugin for multiple strings search and replace
Submitted by d_l on Thursday, 4 February, 2010 - 16:18
Xsearch plugin allows regex search and replace on individual strings ..

Is there a plugin which allows series of tags to be replaced from perhaps an external file?
User login
Browse archives
« April 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348