jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Abbreviation improvements
Submitted by zorglub76 on Monday, 10 November, 2008 - 11:11
I wanted to try the abbreviation feature. It seems really useful, but I have some suggestion for improvement:

1) Allow users to chose the sets they want
For instance, I want only HTML set to be enabled, not all of them.
How to implement it:
- The current checkbox ("Space bar expands abbrevs") should enable/disable all abbrev sets
- There should be another checkbox ("Enable this abbrev set") below the "Abbrev set" dropdown list. This one should enable/disable the current abbrev set
- There should also be another checkbox for "select/deselect all" abbrev sets (for resetting everything)

2) Allow users to choose the key for expanding abbrevs
Users should be allowed to choose if the abbrevs should be expanded by space, or some other key combination (e.g. "c-enter")

3) Create a shortcut for toggling abbreviation functionality
For instance, I would like to switch abbreviations on and off without going to main menu

What do you think?
Is this possible?
vi fo+=w style linewrap compatibility?
Submitted by zhangweiwu on Monday, 10 November, 2008 - 14:55
Hello. I am a new user who want to stay compatible with my colleagues who uses vim. In vim there is a line-wrap mode called "fo+=w". Manual here:

w Trailing white space indicates a paragraph continues in the next line.
A line that ends in a non-white character ends a paragraph.

I want jEdit to behave similarly so we don't have a conflict when we both work on the same project. jEdit currently line-wrap by adding a EOL (end-of-line) right at the point of breaking, without trailing white space. This makes vim user difficult to edit the paragraph again. If vim user remove a word, the first word in the next line in the same paragraph would not flow up to the bottom of the current line as he expect, because the missing trailing space make vim think each line is a paragraph.

I could do a good goole out the solution because naturally it's hard to describe this problem. Can jEdit be configured compatible on this text formatting with vim?
Text area display garbles but only on monitor 2
Submitted by Nick Payne on Monday, 10 November, 2008 - 20:01
I'm running a dual monitor setup using Windows Vista SP1 32-bit with a pair of 20" LCD monitors. Java version is JRE 6 update 10 and jEdit is 4.3pre15. On monitor 1 the jEdit window looks fine, but if I drag the window to monitor 2, at the point where more than 50% of the window is on monitor 2 the text area suddenly changes to show a small part of the file I am editing repeated over and over. If I drag the jEdit window back to monitor 1, as soon as more than 50% is on monitor 1 the window changes back to the correct display.

If you have a look at the screen dumps I have uploaded to http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/stuff/monitor1.jpg and http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/stuff/monitor2.jpg you can see what I mean.

The only plugin I've installed in addition to the default ones is LilyPondTool.

The only other Java application I use is Audiveris, and it works fine on either monitor. No other applications on the machine have any display problem on either monitor.

Nick Payne
[Console plugin] : commando in interactive mode
Submitted by poleta33 on Thursday, 13 November, 2008 - 11:06
Hi

First the commando facility with the xml file is pretty excellent !... now my question : is it possible to invoke my command in interactive mode... it means that after running my command, I have to enter texts which may be differents...
search and replace macro...
Submitted by Molamini on Thursday, 13 November, 2008 - 17:41
Hello, I have a search and replace macro problem. while searching, if the next text (e.g. WEB PAGES) is not in the display, a runtime exception occurs when searching for the next word. An example would be the text WEB PAGES being more than 50 lines down (I'm assuming 50 lines down is below the display of the screen) from the WEB PAGES text found. giving the following macro filename: test.bsh -------------------------- // This is a recorded macro. First, check over the // commands to make sure this is what you intended. Then, // save this buffer, and the macro should appear in the // Macros menu. SearchAndReplace.setSearchString("WEB PAGE"); SearchAndReplace.setAutoWrapAround(false); SearchAndReplace.setReverseSearch(false); SearchAndReplace.setIgnoreCase(false); SearchAndReplace.setRegexp(false); SearchAndReplace.setSearchFileSet(new CurrentBufferSet()); SearchAndReplace.find(view); SearchAndReplace.setSearchString("WEB PAGE"); SearchAndReplace.setReplaceString("<<>>"); SearchAndReplace.setBeanShellReplace(false); SearchAndReplace.setIgnoreCase(false); SearchAndReplace.setRegexp(false); SearchAndReplace.replace(view); SearchAndReplace.setSearchString("WEB PAGE"); SearchAndReplace.setAutoWrapAround(false); SearchAndReplace.setReverseSearch(false); SearchAndReplace.setIgnoreCase(false); SearchAndReplace.setRegexp(false); SearchAndReplace.setSearchFileSet(new CurrentBufferSet()); SearchAndReplace.find(view); SearchAndReplace.setSearchString("WEB PAGE"); SearchAndReplace.setReplaceString("<<>>"); SearchAndReplace.setBeanShellReplace(false); SearchAndReplace.setIgnoreCase(false); SearchAndReplace.setRegexp(false); SearchAndReplace.replace(view); SearchAndReplace.setSearchString("WEB PAGE"); SearchAndReplace.setAutoWrapAround(false); SearchAndReplace.setReverseSearch(false); SearchAndReplace.setIgnoreCase(false); SearchAndReplace.setRegexp(false); SearchAndReplace.setSearchFileSet(new CurrentBufferSet()); SearchAndReplace.find(view); ------------------------------------------- and given the file to search and replace filename: test.txt ------------------------------------------ WEB PAGE ...(about 60 lines down)... WEB PAGE ------------------------------------------------ I get the following runtime error... 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid screen line count: 10 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.DisplayManager.getScreenLineCount(DisplayManager.java:192) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.FirstLine.physDown(FirstLine.java:174) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.DisplayManager.setFirstPhysicalLine(DisplayManager.java:632) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.setFirstPhysicalLine(TextArea.java:754) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.scrollTo(TextArea.java:981) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.scrollTo(TextArea.java:887) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.search.SearchAndReplace.find(SearchAndReplace.java:661) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.search.SearchAndReplace.find(SearchAndReplace.java:519) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Reflect.java:134) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.invokeStaticMethod(Reflect.java:98) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:796) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:644) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._runScript(BeanShell.java:336) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell._runScript(BeanShell.java:281) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runScript(BeanShell.java:207) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Macros$BeanShellHandler.runMacro(Macros.java:1020) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.Macros$Macro.invoke(Macros.java:441) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:383) 9:29:38 AM [error] SearchAndReplace: at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit$3.invokeAction(jEdit.java:3000) -----------------------------------------------------
SuperAbbrev Problem
Submitted by nyte on Friday, 14 November, 2008 - 04:29
Hello everyone,

I'm new to jEdit but already love it. I'm trying to setup a nice development area for Ruby on Rails. everything works great. I have superAbbrev plugin abbreviation files for .rhtml files but I would like them to be active for .html.erb files since it's the new way of doing things in ruby on rails. Is there an easy way to associate the the rhtml abbreviation file with the new file extension (.html.erb)

I hope that made sense

thanks,
nyte
Problem on Ubuntu 8.10: can't type {[]}
Submitted by tomK on Sunday, 16 November, 2008 - 16:43
Hello,

I have a small Eye-wink but difficult problem with my jEdit-editor. I use it now a
few years without big problems. But now it's a little bit more ...

I use it under linux (with windows too, but there are no problems), before with
Ubuntu 7.10, with sun java 5 or 6 (it makes no
difference for me for this problem). And - as german - I have german keypad with
"de-nodeadkeys"-config. With "CtrlAlt-Right 7" for example I get "{" and so one.

Now I changed to Ubuntu 8.10. And there, if I type "CtrlAlt-Right 7" I get "7"
instead of "{"! (it's not really good for programming Eye-wink ) Does anybody have
seen such behavior? It looks as it would ignore
"CtrlAlt-Right"-key. Other applications on this installation do not show such,
there all is fine.

I have tried 4.3pre15 and too 4.3pre13 from official ubuntu package servers.
Same thing. Every time fresh installed (e.g. no ~/.jedit directory) and no
plugins. I'm not sure, if Ubuntu 8.04 is ok or not. I had it only a short time
installed and havn't used jEdit much in this time. But I know, that Ubuntu 7.10
works fine with jEdit.

Maybe it depends on new X server, but I'm not sure and I don't know, how to catch
it. Anybody out there with some suggestions? Some comments in other boards suggests also, that something is broken with sun java under Ubuntu 8.10.

Greetings,
Thomas
more recent version of syntax highlighting
Submitted by ehmdjii on Sunday, 16 November, 2008 - 20:36
hello,

i was wondering if there is a more recent version of the syntax highlighting package here: http://syntax.jedit.org/

i'd like to create a texteditor in my java program that highlights some keywords and provides line numbers. does anyone know of a library that can accomplish that? thanks!
Find/Replace: uppercase a search result
Submitted by Todd Chambery on Tuesday, 18 November, 2008 - 15:31
Hi all,

How do I (can I?) uppercase the result of a find?

Thanks,

Todd
Failed loading MRJApp.properties file
Submitted by simonvwade on Thursday, 20 November, 2008 - 01:38
I've just install the new pre16 version of jEdit and it won't launch on Mac OS 10.5.5. I'll go back to using the pre15 version, but it'd be great to get a solution to this - wouldn't be a good look for newcomers to jEdit!

Here's the errors from the Console:

20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] [JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed loading MRJApp.properties file
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] [JavaAppLauncher Error] CFBundleCopyResourceURL() failed while getting Resource/Java directory
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] [LaunchRunner Error] No main class specified
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] [JavaAppLauncher Error] CallStaticVoidMethod() threw an exception
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] Exception in thread "main"
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] java.lang.NullPointerException
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:112)
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM [0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250] at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.main(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:61)
20/11/08 12:29:33 PM com.apple.launchd[131] ([0x0-0x158158].org.gjt.sp.jedit[8250]) Exited with exit code: 1
Fold comments of different programming languages
Submitted by caracho on Friday, 21 November, 2008 - 22:40
Hello:

It will help to legibility (clean code) to have a macro or plug in, that folded (or hided) the comments.

It is good to have an inline documentation, but sometimes it grows too much that hides the code.

I've tried to use SearchAndReplace, Fold and other commands but I don't know how to get the line where a comment begins (e.g. # for Python, ' for Visual Basic, // for Java)

Thanks and regards, caracho
PHP Constant Hightlighting
Submitted by ialsoagree on Friday, 21 November, 2008 - 23:59
I'm really confused. I downloaded jEdit on my laptop and on my desktop. As far as I can tell they are exactly the same.

However, my laptop styles variable type declarations (for example, putting (int) before a variable, the "(int)" would be in bold) and user-defined PHP constants in bold (that is, any text that appears on it's own would be bold if it were inside PHP tags) and my desktop does not.

I've searched the forums and the internet for hours trying to come up with a solution, and there doesn't seem to be anything that discusses these differences at all. I don't have access to my laptop right now and thus can't copy over the xml file to my desktop.

Would anybody be willing to tell me how to fix this? I've tried messing around with the xml file myself but can't get remotely close. Every solution I've attempted either affects everything but user-defined constants, or user-defined constants and just about everything else written in a PHP file. I thought throwing a new formatting near the button of an existing rule set (since I seem totally unable to make my own) would make it the last operation performed, but I was wrong. My rule seems to be the first thing to happen no matter where it's placed in the xml file.
Pro*C syntax
Submitted by gabebear on Monday, 24 November, 2008 - 20:21
I'm trying to make a ruleset for Pro*C syntax. Pro*C is C run through Oracle's precompiler which allows you to embed SQL directly into C. Here are the simple rules I have that come close to working. EXEC SQL CREATE END-EXEC; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN END-EXEC; EXEC SQL EXECUTE DECLARE END-EXEC; EXEC SQL ; The problem with these rules is that "EXEC", "SQL", "CREATE", "EXECUTE", "BEGIN", and "DECLARE" can all appear on separate lines. I tried creating separate rule sets, but I don't see a way to include a default case that changes the ending delimiter for the block. I also messed with regular-expressions via SPAN_REGEXP, but these only work on a single line at a time (which makes sense for speed) and can't just match the first character. Any ideas? Here's snippit that I've been using for testing. EXEC SQL CREATE select * from should_be_highlighted; END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_be_highlighted; END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL select * from should_be_highlighted ; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted;
jEdit 4.3pre16 can no longer open large files
Submitted by worried on Wednesday, 26 November, 2008 - 14:37
I just installed jEdit 4.3pre16 on a XP windows worksation and now I can not open "large" text files, ~16 meg's. Up to 4.3pre15 I was able to do it. To open a ~16 meg file jEdit 4.3pre15 takes about 40 seconds (not the fastest text editor but once open it is as any other text editor and +), but with pre16 I quit after waiting more than 3 minutes. I noticed on the release notes that they got ridd off of the option -Xms192M. I really do not know if that have something to do with it, and maybe for small files that is not required and speed up the opening of a file, but it appears that it is required for large files. My setup for pre15 is:
C:\WINNT\system32\javaw.exe -Xms64M -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview.
I am using java 5.0_11.
Can't Print
Submitted by subuta on Thursday, 27 November, 2008 - 15:53
Hello,

My knowledge is weak in the areas I am discussing, so please be patient.

I am running jedit under ubuntu 8.10. I have set my printer up with cups and it works well when I use lp to print. jedit won't print (fails silently). lpr doesn't work either. Helped by error messages that jedit produced when I tried to print prior to having installed lpr, I have concluded that:

1. jedit is using lpr
2. lpr is failing because I don't have an entry for my printer in termcap

Are these reasonable conclusions? Can I tell jedit to use lp instead of lpr? (I would prefer not to have to maintain printer definitions in both termcap and cups).

Thanks very much for your help.

-subuta
File owner being reset on Linux
Submitted by gp on Friday, 28 November, 2008 - 00:42
I can't get jEdit to preserve the file owner on Linux when saving a buffer. The owner is always reset to my_user:my_group, while the file is initially owned by my_user:www_group. So now everytime I save a buffer in jEdit I have to do a chown, otherwise Apache won't be able to read the file.

Disabling or enabling the "two-stage save" feature doesn't seem to make any difference.

I use 4.3pre16, but I had the problem even before upgrading. I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
4.3pre16 wont load
Submitted by matt_wood87 on Sunday, 30 November, 2008 - 11:32
hi there!

i've installed jedit on ubuntu from the package manager, but when i try and run it it doesnt work.

when i type:

matthew@mtw:~$ jedit
Warning: $JAVA_HOME environment variable not set! Consider setting it.
Attempting to locate java...
Found a virtual machine at: /usr/bin/java...

the splash screen appears and the program begins to load but stops at "init system properties"

if i run it as jedit -noplugins, it loads as far as "init look and feel"

if i try jedit -nosettings it gets to init GUI

but none get the program to fully load.

java -version gives me
matthew@mtw:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.3.2

Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

any help on getting it working would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for looking!

Matt
jEdit doesn't like Compiz Fusion and desktop effects
Submitted by AzizLight on Monday, 1 December, 2008 - 01:48
Hi everybody,
I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and jEdit 4.3pre16. I realised that jEdit doesn't work well with Desktop Effects. I already had minor bugs with v4.3pre15 in Ubuntu 8.04 (windows went all white - by windows I mean popup windows, ie: when I try to change the syntax highlighting - that's not really minor...) but now it just got worse :S This screenshot will describe the situation very well:

http://tinyurl.com/6nuddz

As you can see the window maximized but the inside of it did not...

I tried to disable desktop effects and the problem was solved. Also I tried to re-enable the effects after having mazimized the window and it stayed maximized.
Dock the lists (shortcuts list, abbreviations list and actions list)
Submitted by AzizLight on Wednesday, 3 December, 2008 - 16:55
Hi everybody,
The title says it all: is there a way to dock the lists? I'm talking about the lists that I get through the built-in macros: Display Shortcuts, Display Abbreviations, Display Actions, etc.
I'm using jEdit 4.3pre16.
File opens in both views when opening file by drag and drop
Submitted by matt82 on Wednesday, 3 December, 2008 - 17:26
In 4.3pre15 and 4.3pre16 when using split view, when I drag and drop a file into a view to open it, it switches both views to the same file. This only happens when dropping a file into the non-active view. Dropping a file into the active view just opens it in that view. I found bug 2321838 to be describing something similar, but it's been marked as fixed, so maybe it's not the same after all. Anyone know what might be causing this?

I'm running a Power PC Mac with OS X 10.4. jEdit is version 4.3pre16. Java is 1.5.0_16, which is unfortunately the latest version Apple have released.

Matt
User login
Browse archives
« November 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348