jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Pro*C syntax
Submitted by gabebear on Monday, 24 November, 2008 - 20:21
I'm trying to make a ruleset for Pro*C syntax. Pro*C is C run through Oracle's precompiler which allows you to embed SQL directly into C. Here are the simple rules I have that come close to working. EXEC SQL CREATE END-EXEC; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN END-EXEC; EXEC SQL EXECUTE DECLARE END-EXEC; EXEC SQL ; The problem with these rules is that "EXEC", "SQL", "CREATE", "EXECUTE", "BEGIN", and "DECLARE" can all appear on separate lines. I tried creating separate rule sets, but I don't see a way to include a default case that changes the ending delimiter for the block. I also messed with regular-expressions via SPAN_REGEXP, but these only work on a single line at a time (which makes sense for speed) and can't just match the first character. Any ideas? Here's snippit that I've been using for testing. EXEC SQL CREATE select * from should_be_highlighted; END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN select * from should_be_highlighted; select * from should_be_highlighted; END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL select * from should_be_highlighted ; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted; EXEC SQL EXECUTE BEGIN select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;select * from should_be_highlighted;END-EXEC; select * from should_NOT_be_highlighted;
jEdit 4.3pre16 can no longer open large files
Submitted by worried on Wednesday, 26 November, 2008 - 14:37
I just installed jEdit 4.3pre16 on a XP windows worksation and now I can not open "large" text files, ~16 meg's. Up to 4.3pre15 I was able to do it. To open a ~16 meg file jEdit 4.3pre15 takes about 40 seconds (not the fastest text editor but once open it is as any other text editor and +), but with pre16 I quit after waiting more than 3 minutes. I noticed on the release notes that they got ridd off of the option -Xms192M. I really do not know if that have something to do with it, and maybe for small files that is not required and speed up the opening of a file, but it appears that it is required for large files. My setup for pre15 is:
C:\WINNT\system32\javaw.exe -Xms64M -Xmx192M -jar "C:\Program Files\jEdit\jedit.jar" -reuseview.
I am using java 5.0_11.
Can't Print
Submitted by subuta on Thursday, 27 November, 2008 - 15:53
Hello,

My knowledge is weak in the areas I am discussing, so please be patient.

I am running jedit under ubuntu 8.10. I have set my printer up with cups and it works well when I use lp to print. jedit won't print (fails silently). lpr doesn't work either. Helped by error messages that jedit produced when I tried to print prior to having installed lpr, I have concluded that:

1. jedit is using lpr
2. lpr is failing because I don't have an entry for my printer in termcap

Are these reasonable conclusions? Can I tell jedit to use lp instead of lpr? (I would prefer not to have to maintain printer definitions in both termcap and cups).

Thanks very much for your help.

-subuta
File owner being reset on Linux
Submitted by gp on Friday, 28 November, 2008 - 00:42
I can't get jEdit to preserve the file owner on Linux when saving a buffer. The owner is always reset to my_user:my_group, while the file is initially owned by my_user:www_group. So now everytime I save a buffer in jEdit I have to do a chown, otherwise Apache won't be able to read the file.

Disabling or enabling the "two-stage save" feature doesn't seem to make any difference.

I use 4.3pre16, but I had the problem even before upgrading. I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
4.3pre16 wont load
Submitted by matt_wood87 on Sunday, 30 November, 2008 - 11:32
hi there!

i've installed jedit on ubuntu from the package manager, but when i try and run it it doesnt work.

when i type:

matthew@mtw:~$ jedit
Warning: $JAVA_HOME environment variable not set! Consider setting it.
Attempting to locate java...
Found a virtual machine at: /usr/bin/java...

the splash screen appears and the program begins to load but stops at "init system properties"

if i run it as jedit -noplugins, it loads as far as "init look and feel"

if i try jedit -nosettings it gets to init GUI

but none get the program to fully load.

java -version gives me
matthew@mtw:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.3.2

Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

any help on getting it working would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for looking!

Matt
jEdit doesn't like Compiz Fusion and desktop effects
Submitted by AzizLight on Monday, 1 December, 2008 - 01:48
Hi everybody,
I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and jEdit 4.3pre16. I realised that jEdit doesn't work well with Desktop Effects. I already had minor bugs with v4.3pre15 in Ubuntu 8.04 (windows went all white - by windows I mean popup windows, ie: when I try to change the syntax highlighting - that's not really minor...) but now it just got worse :S This screenshot will describe the situation very well:

http://tinyurl.com/6nuddz

As you can see the window maximized but the inside of it did not...

I tried to disable desktop effects and the problem was solved. Also I tried to re-enable the effects after having mazimized the window and it stayed maximized.
Dock the lists (shortcuts list, abbreviations list and actions list)
Submitted by AzizLight on Wednesday, 3 December, 2008 - 16:55
Hi everybody,
The title says it all: is there a way to dock the lists? I'm talking about the lists that I get through the built-in macros: Display Shortcuts, Display Abbreviations, Display Actions, etc.
I'm using jEdit 4.3pre16.
File opens in both views when opening file by drag and drop
Submitted by matt82 on Wednesday, 3 December, 2008 - 17:26
In 4.3pre15 and 4.3pre16 when using split view, when I drag and drop a file into a view to open it, it switches both views to the same file. This only happens when dropping a file into the non-active view. Dropping a file into the active view just opens it in that view. I found bug 2321838 to be describing something similar, but it's been marked as fixed, so maybe it's not the same after all. Anyone know what might be causing this?

I'm running a Power PC Mac with OS X 10.4. jEdit is version 4.3pre16. Java is 1.5.0_16, which is unfortunately the latest version Apple have released.

Matt
jedit4.3pre16install.dmg won't run on Mac OS X
Submitted by bdmeyer on Wednesday, 3 December, 2008 - 18:25
I ran the stable yesterday. Today I tried to install the version jedit4.3pre16install.dmg, which I can't tell if it actually installs or not. I get a drive like looking icon that I can 'eject' but when i run the app, the splash screen flashes for a brief second, and disappears. no error messages. No application.

I have tried removing all vestiges of either application, and followed the instructions on the FAQ.

Thanks for any comments.

--Bruce D. Meyer
Toggle Docks broken in pre16
Submitted by ntbenari on Thursday, 4 December, 2008 - 08:04
Hi,
I just upgraded from pre14 to pre16.
Selecting Docker/Toggle Docks now causes the follow exception.
I have run Plugin Manager / Update so I should have the must
update version.

Thanks in advance for your help,

java.lang.NullPointerException: Null Pointer in Method Invocation
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Name.java:841)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(BSHMethodInvocation.java:75)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHIfStatement.evaluateCondition(BSHIfStatement.java:63)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHIfStatement.eval(BSHIfStatement.java:46)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(BSHBlock.java:130)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHBlock.eval(BSHBlock.java:80)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invokeImpl(BshMethod.java:362)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:258)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BshMethod.invoke(BshMethod.java:186)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.runCachedBlock(BeanShellFacade.java:225)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.runCachedBlock(BeanShell.java:441)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellAction.invoke(BeanShellAction.java:73)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:352)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.invokeAction(InputHandler.java:317)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DefaultInputHandler.handleKey(DefaultInputHandler.java:197)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.input.AbstractInputHandler.processKeyEventKeyStrokeHandling(AbstractInputHandler.java:405)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.InputHandler.processKeyEvent(InputHandler.java:151)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.TextArea.processKeyEvent(TextArea.java:4545)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
LaTeXTools broken in pre16
Submitted by TheBard on Thursday, 4 December, 2008 - 11:23
LaTeXTools 0.5.7 cannot load in Jedit 4.3pre16, Sun Java 1.6.0_10, Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/regexp/REException
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2389)
at java.lang.Class.getConstructors(Class.java:1459)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Reflect.constructObject(Reflect.java:603)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHAllocationExpression.constructObject(BSHAllocationExpression.java:123)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHAllocationExpression.objectAllocation(BSHAllocationExpression.java:114)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHAllocationExpression.eval(BSHAllocationExpression.java:62)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:644)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:738)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:727)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade._eval(BeanShellFacade.java:148)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShellFacade.eval(BeanShellFacade.java:113)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.BeanShell.eval(BeanShell.java:387)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.ServiceManager$Descriptor.getInstance(ServiceManager.java:295)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.ServiceManager.getService(ServiceManager.java:238)
at sidekick.SideKickPlugin.getParser(Unknown Source)
at sidekick.SideKickPlugin.setParserForBuffer(Unknown Source)
at sidekick.SideKickTree$ActionHandler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(JComboBox.java:1240)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(JComboBox.java:567)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(JComboBox.java:603)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicComboPopup.java:816)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:273)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6134)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3265)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$1.processMouseEvent(BasicComboPopup.java:480)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5899)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2023)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4501)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2081)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4331)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4301)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3965)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3895)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2067)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2458)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4331)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:599)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.regexp.REException
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.JARClassLoader.loadFromParent(JARClassLoader.java:469)
at org.gjt.sp.jedit.JARClassLoader.loadClass(JARClassLoader.java:86)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
... 46 more
automaticlly maintain relative URI reference
Submitted by zhangweiwu on Friday, 5 December, 2008 - 05:04
Is there a way / plug-in to automatically maintain correct relative URI reference in jEdit? Say if I move or save projects/mywebsite/aboutus/contact.html to projects/mywebsite/contact.html, original reference to CSS "../ali.css" should be automatically updated to "ali.css".

The feature was there in FrontPage before I switch to Linux.
setting JAVA_HOME
Submitted by matt_wood87 on Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 - 18:52
hi guys

when i run jedit 4.3pre16 on ubuntu 8.10 linux, i get a warning

Warning: $JAVA_HOME environment variable not set! Consider setting it.
Attempting to locate java...
Found a virtual machine at: /usr/bin/java...

and then jedit loads.

how do i set the $JAVA_HOME environment variable, ie. which file do i edit, and what line of code do i add?

many thanks

Matt
SideKick Code Completion
Submitted by kog on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 20:54
I downloaded the SideKick plugins for Java, and one of the features it has is a code-completion box for when you type in the name of a class or variable followed by a period. It's handy, and it shows all the method names for that object, but is there a way to get it to also show what parameters those methods need? It would be nice to not have to open up a separate page to look up how many parameters and of what type a certain method needs.
Some small bugs in current 4.3pre Versions
Submitted by tobi73de on Thursday, 11 December, 2008 - 21:35
Hi !

jEit is a really cool editor, i like it a lot. I use it for HTML, CSS and PHP editing.

It runs on an Athlon X2, WinXP Pro with 2 Monitors on ATI GFX-Card, newest Java Version.
Plugins: FTP, JDiff, Beauty, ErrorList, SideKick, XercesPlugin, XML.

I encountered some Problems with the last 4.3pre Versions.

1. Small Problem

With activated Option "Show Error Icons in the Gutter" (ErrorList-Plugin"):
Always when i move the mouse over the Gutter, a small black dot (2px x 2px) appears right beside or on the left side on the gutter (at mouse cursor position).

2. Small Problem

If i record a macro in a new untitled buffer, the the macrorecorder uses this untitled buffer as macro-scriptfile.
That results in an funny behaviour. For instance, if you type in 1 letter the macrorecorder writes a second into the macro scriptfile, which is actually the only open buffer.
So it dublicates every letter. I can also not save the file. I have to close jEdit.

3. Medium Problem

Sometimes after saving a buffer, the display of the code gets scrumbled.
Code from other locations in the file is partially displayed between the Code on the Display.
So I have to scroll up and down or switch the buffers to get the correct display back.

4. Bigger Problem

I use the standard bufferswitcher. Sometimes, with some open files, when i try to select an other buffer with the mouse, the buffer is not switched.
In the View is still the same Buffer. I can also not choose an other buffer.
I have to click the "Vertically Split" and "Unsplit All" Icons to get the right display back.

It's really randomly, i can not reproduce it, but sometimes it gets really annoying.

But probably i have tracked down the source of the Problem: Plugin SideKick, Option "Parse on buffer switch".
With disabled, the Bug doesn't appear.

5. Biggest problem of all Eye-wink

In the File Browser i use the Option "Use default icons" to have the original Windows Exlporer Icons. In the FTP-View it doesn't work, there are still the original build-in Icons.
They are not bad, but i'd rather like to have the default icons of Windows Explorer.

mfg Tobi
m4 mode
Submitted by jwoehr on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 04:13
I have not discovered yet any m4 mode for for JEdit so I wrote a simple one last night. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has one cleverer than this one I can use!! dnl(?=(\s)|($)) $ ` ' ( ) builtin(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) changecom(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) changequote(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) changeword(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) debugfile(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) debugmode(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) decr(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) define(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) defn(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) divert(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) divnum(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) dumpdef(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) errprint(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) esyscmd(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) eval(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) file(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) format(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) ifdef(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) ifelse(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) include(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) incr(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) index(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) indir(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) len(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) line(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) m4exit(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) m4wrap(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) maketemp(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) patsubst(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) popdef(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) pushdef(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) regexp(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) shift(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) sinclude(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) substr(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) syscmd(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) sysval(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) traceoff(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) traceon(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) translit(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) undefine(?=(($)|((\()|(\s)))) undivert(?=(($)|((\()|(\s))))
Close Button
Submitted by thaude on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 14:35
I had a few glimpses before, but want to start using jEdit for good now. However, I got kind of lost in the configuration dialogs, so I'm still missing a basic feature:

Where can I activate a button to close the current buffer? I already see the button in the task bar, but I'm looking for the one on the top right of the buffer window.

Thanks in advance!
SVN plugin feature for externals
Submitted by Spatialdrift on Monday, 15 December, 2008 - 19:21
I tried to use the jEdit SVN plugin for a repository that references several external repositories. Seems that this feature is not supported, as the external directories are not populated in the repository browser. I would love to see the jEdit plugin support this type of SVN use in the future.
Minor Bug and it's fix.
Submitted by drabrun on Friday, 19 December, 2008 - 01:51
I've used Jedit in several classes at the university i'm current attending.

I'm just submitting a bug and it's fix. Again I said minor, so no laughing when you realize how small it is. Thanks.

In the CharIndexedReader.java file in the gnu.regexp package at line 106.

change br.skip(index-1) to

long actualSkipped = br.skip(index-1);
long total = actualSkipped;
while(total < (index-1)){
actualSkipped = br.skip(index-1 - total);
total = total + actualSkipped;
}

this ensures the amount needed to be skipped actually gets skipped.
SearchAndReplace Dialog Size
Submitted by tvojeho on Friday, 19 December, 2008 - 15:07
Hi all,
I’d like to ask if anybody knows how to set the Search dialogue size. I use jEdit for two activities - coding and reading e-books. For coding I use Courier font 12, but for reading I switch to Times New Roman 26 for better readibility. But with the font set this big size, the size of the Search dialog reflects it and is unnecessarily big. Is there a way to call the search with a set size, independent of the font used in textArea?

Thanks for any help, tvojeho
User login
Browse archives
« November 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348