jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
Archives
Updated JEdit - 10 errors.. MacOSX
Submitted by jbmoore on Wednesday, 24 December, 2008 - 01:25
I'm on MacOSX 10.5.6 and found the fix for running the latest downloaded release. But... After removing the plugins that would nolonger would load I'm still seeing "10 errors" down in the lower right status bar.. Are these from a plugin that should be removed..??(org.gjt....?) A sampling is as follows: ava.lang.NoSuchFieldError: MODE_CHANGED at de.hunsicker.jalopy.plugin.jedit.JEditPlugin.handleMessage(JEditPlugin.java:293) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.send(EditBus.java:148) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.commitTemporary(jEdit.java:1631) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:334) ava.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.gui.DockableWindowManager.getTopDockingArea()Lorg/gjt/sp/jedit/gui/PanelWindowContainer; at docker.DockFocusManager.setFocusCycleRoots(DockFocusManager.java:100) at docker.DockFocusManager.handleMessage(DockFocusManager.java:49) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.send(EditBus.java:148) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2300) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:344) java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gjt.sp.jedit.textarea.JEditTextArea.getBuffer()Lorg/gjt/sp/jedit/Buffer; at ise.plugin.nav.Navigator.(Navigator.java:50) at ise.plugin.nav.NavigatorPlugin.handleMessage(NavigatorPlugin.java:39) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.EditBus.send(EditBus.java:148) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.jEdit.newView(jEdit.java:2300) at org.gjt.sp.jedit.PerspectiveManager$PerspectiveHandler.endElement(PerspectiveManager.java:344)
Problem with Proxy Configuration
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 29 December, 2008 - 10:16
I can't get Proxy Configuration right, with the effect that I can not use the Plugin Manager (connection times out).

I am behind a firewall, so I configured my Proxy settings in the same way as they work, for instance, for my Mozilla Browsers (SeaMonkey etc.). Still, jEdit seems to be unable to get through the firewall.

You can see here a screenshot of my Proxy settings:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/245/jeditproxyconfkg1.jpg

I'm using jEit 4.3pre13 running on Windows 2000.
Regex in SPAN_REGEXP/END
Submitted by Blitzcoder on Monday, 29 December, 2008 - 23:14
Hey guys, I'm writing a small IDE (http://blitz-coder.de/data/find1.png) for a basic-like language (BlitzMax) using the latest jedit textarea (pre16 I think). Multiline-comments are set using "Rem" and "EndRem" (case-insensetive). Now the end of a multiline comment can be "EndRem" or "End Rem". I'm using a SPAN_REGEXP-Tag in the mode file, but since I can just use regex in and not in . So I don't know how to highlight these comments. At the moment my definition looks like this: ^\W*Rem\W*$ EndRem Perfect would be a definition like this: ^\W*Rem\W*$ ^\W*End\s*Rem\W*$ Do you have any ideas how to highlight these comments? Do you have any reason for disallow regex in ? If not, I could write a patch to make this possible. Thanks for your answers.. Johannes Wotzka
Little boxes instead of thai characters
Submitted by jfmxl on Wednesday, 31 December, 2008 - 12:08
I am unable to enter Thai characters into jEdit, and jEdit no longer displays Thai characters, but little square boxes instead. The files I'm looking at are loaded as utf-8.

I show below various parameters of my system. I had to set the locale by hand. No matter what I tried I could not get the system to do it.

I have a java based dictionary program as well, LEXiTRON, which will display Thai characters but will not allow me to enter them. OpenOffice, Text Editor, command line, Firefox, Thunderbird... no problems.

So I think it's java.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

jfl@ws0:~$ uname -a
Linux ws0 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

jfl@ws0:~$ jedit -version
Warning: $JAVA_HOME environment variable not set! Consider setting it.
Attempting to locate java...
Found a virtual machine at: /usr/bin/java...
jfl@ws0:~$ jEdit 4.3pre16

jfl@ws0:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)

jfl@ws0:~$ locale
LANG=th_TH.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="th_TH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

jfl@ws0:~$ locale -a
C
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_HK.utf8
en_IE.utf8
en_IN
en_NG
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH.utf8
en_SG.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZW.utf8
POSIX
th_TH
th_TH.tis620
th_TH.utf8

jfl@ws0:~$ cat /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
#LANGUAGE="en_US:en"
#LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="th_TH:th"
LANG="th_TH.UTF-8"
Modifying the file position format
Submitted by CornedBee on Thursday, 1 January, 2009 - 19:21
Somewhere before my last upgrade (to rc16), the status bar file position has changed to include the (byte? character?) offset of the cursor in the first place of the status bar file position. I don't know what motivated this change - I find this information to be largely useless - but whatever.
I just want to know if I can configure this anywhere. I want to turn it off. I want the current line to be first and most prominent item of information there. The Status Bar options only let me configure the widgets on the right side.
MAc jedit as2 as3
Submitted by Aresti on Wednesday, 7 January, 2009 - 02:48
Hi , how do i create as2 or as3, I have mac vesion. I want to load things to get started, also when i downloaded jedit, does it come with flash as compiler?
vertical connecting lines
Submitted by carolus on Thursday, 8 January, 2009 - 12:34
I noticed in some of the screen shots, on the www.jedit.org page, that vertical lines connecting program code lines, i.e. in HTML and similiar, when the lines are indented. I could not find this options. In the forum I found a discussion about this feature but no solution. Can anybody help? carolus
Backup files when using remote filesystems
Submitted by cyrusking on Friday, 9 January, 2009 - 10:25
Hello,
is it possible to automatically backup a file which is stored on a remote filesystem? Although the options are checked to store a backup in a specific folder on saving, it doesn't save the backup when my file is stored on a ftp-server.

Thank you for any hints.
Marc
Indent problem
Submitted by Edijs on Friday, 9 January, 2009 - 11:25
Hello! Just recently I had to change form developing on a Mac to Windows. Well, on Mac I had this cool editor, called TextWrangler. I searched the web and found Jedit to be the most look-and-fell-alike to TextWrangler out there and that's awesome. Even the shortcuts are similar Smiling ; anyways, I managed to do all the setup and even my own syntax highlighting, but my only problem now is - I need to get rid of that automatic indentation. The language I program in has so many built in functions and procedures, that there are some files, that contain logical blocks of code consisting only of outer functions, thus the automatic indentation is working in the wrong place and throws my lines of code all over the place.

The only thing that I have not been able to shut down is the indentation when I type. I could shut off the auto indent when I press TAB or ENTER, but where can I shut the auto indend upon typing?

BIG thanks! Smiling
jEdit Search history
Submitted by joe131 on Friday, 9 January, 2009 - 18:38
Hi All, I've used jEdit for years and think it's excellent! But one thing has bugged me since Day one. Besides the lol Smiling If you add the Search Toolbar, and type in a word to search for, it doesn't get added to "Previously entered strings". The only way strings seem to get added is if you use the Search->Find Dialog. So I'm looking at the code now to try to find a way to get it to save strings entered into the Search Bar. I think this would be HUGE. If there is already a way to "enable" this, let me know, otherwise I'm hoping to track down the code involved and modify it. Keep up the good work! Smiling Joe Siebenmann
"Optional.jar" plugin freezes jEdit
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 12 January, 2009 - 10:46
In jEdit 4.3pre16 (and also in 4.3pre13) running on Windows 2000, the "Optional.jar" plugin freezes jEdit. This can be most easily be seen in the following way:

(1) I install the "Optional.jar" plugin.
(2) Using the Plugin Manager, I make sure that "Optional" is the only plugin activated at the moment.
(3) I now click on Plugins/Plugin Options.

This freezes jEdit permamently, i.e. I have to use the task manager to kill it.

The problem might, of course, also be inside the plugin, but I don't know how to contact the plugin developer, Mr. Alan Ezust - but maybe he is reading this forum too.
Updating account information
Submitted by rovf on Monday, 12 January, 2009 - 10:50
Is it possible to update my account information (in particular,
changing the email address)? I can click on "my account" to display it, but I don't see any link which would allow me to change it.

Ronald
LOC
Submitted by allelopath on Monday, 12 January, 2009 - 16:29
Can jEdit count lines of code?
(not # of lines in file, but lines of code)
File list is not sorted alphabetically.
Submitted by skelband on Tuesday, 13 January, 2009 - 00:19
After upgrading JEdit to 4.3pre_16 I've noticed that the file list drop-down is no longer sorted alpbetically.
When Jedit starts, any files being reopened are sorted, but additionally opened files are placed at the end of the list.

This means that there is a mixture of sorted and unsorted files which is really bizarre and makes it hard to find files.
I'm pretty sure that files were immediately sorted alphabetically before.

I this a bug or has the behavious been changed deliberately?

Cheers
skelband
Save Caret Position in Udo Buffer?
Submitted by jrchilds on Wednesday, 14 January, 2009 - 20:12
Does anyone know if there is currently a way that I can tell jEdit to remember Caret positions in the undo buffer?

We commonly will do several searches in a row trying to follow out the logic of a routine, then we want to be able to step back through the results, (or cursor locations,) using undo.

Any ideas?
Where are new plugins ?
Submitted by michaelm on Wednesday, 14 January, 2009 - 23:36
Hi,

Do somebody knows what are new plugins announced on http://plugins.jedit.org/updates.php (AboutPlugins and JSLing) about and where to find them ?

Michaël
RegExp - Replace special characters in a string
Submitted by jrchilds on Thursday, 15 January, 2009 - 20:00
I am writing a macro that will take highlighted text, convert any non alpha numeric characters to underscores, and then open a .chm file to the topic named by the resulting string. I can make everything except the regular expression part of that work. I only yesterday started playing with regular expressions, and I'm not sure how to do this, and google was not much help. Here is what I need.... I have, SomeVariable= "?This!String@1#2&3." I need to make SomeVariable= "_this_string_1_2_3_" Here is the set I want to replace [!@#$%^&*()<>{}[]?~`|\/] Is this an easy thing to achieve? Thanks for the help.
Forum Search Results are Dificult to understand
Submitted by jrchilds on Friday, 16 January, 2009 - 19:08
When doing a search in the forums, the title of the thread would be very helpful, even if the post that returns the result is not the main article in the thread.
Mark Modified Lines
Submitted by jrchilds on Friday, 16 January, 2009 - 21:38
Is is possible to automatically add a marker to any modified line?
Minimap plugin: Initial version (Minimap.jar v0.1 by Shlomy Reinstein)
Submitted by shlomy on Saturday, 17 January, 2009 - 06:06
This is the first version of the minimap plugin, hopefully to be released soon. Developed by me, with help from Matthieu Casanova. By default, you won't see any minimaps, you will need to add minimaps using the plugin menu, or use the option to automatically add minimaps in the plugin options.
User login
Browse archives
« December 2008 »
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   82348