jEdit Community - Resources for users of the jEdit Text Editor
4.3pre6 on OSX 10.3.9
Submitted by sheeps on Monday, 7 August, 2006 - 00:52
Both the explicit mac version and the java installer for all platforms are built for java 1.5, which means that I can't run them at all.

I assume that this is a mistake, since java 1.4 is the 'declared' minimum for jEdit (and used to work Smiling)
fixed ftp plugin for 4.2?
Submitted by pataphysician on Saturday, 5 August, 2006 - 00:45
hi. according to this thread:

http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/2263

there's a 0.7.5 ftp plugin for jedit4.2 that addresses the connection pool issue. is that available anywhere? if not, is 0.7.2 available? i'm working with someone who's hosted at godaddy, who only allows 2 concurrent ftp connections. i can't even browse or create a directory without getting booted. i know 0.7.7 for jedit4.3 is supposed to work, but i'd like to stick with 4.2 if possible.

thanks!
Can't quit jEdit
Submitted by suntrop on Tuesday, 1 August, 2006 - 17:45
Hi,

I'm using jEdit 4.2 on Mac OS X (10.4.7). When I close the application
via the red dot (don't know if it has a name) in the upper left corner
and then want to quit jEdit, it doesn't work. I always have to go over
Cmd+alt+esc to kill it.

Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my installation/Java machine?
Plugin List Is Down!
Submitted by scaRFhogg on Tuesday, 1 August, 2006 - 16:25
Seems like the plugin list for the plugin manager is down!

There is an error on this page

http://plugins.jedit.org/export/gzip_plugin_manager.php

Is this only temporarily?
Search/Replace broken in 4.3pre5 ?
Submitted by Baldurien on Monday, 31 July, 2006 - 18:09
Hi,

When I enter this regexp :

\b\$[a-z_][a-z0-9_]*\b

Which, in case of php, should search for every variable.

This fails. While \$[a-z_][a-z0-9_]* works.

In fact, it seems that the ^ and $ also fails (was trying to catch (^[ \t]*\S.*$)+ which failed).

Since you changed for java.util.Regexp, and since it allow us to use such expression, I wonder where is the problem?

Another sample :

^\s+$

fails.
jedit is simply crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Submitted by rowck001 on Sunday, 30 July, 2006 - 15:20
download the latest version - and download plugins from within jedit - and the jcompiler and console plugins crash with beanshell errors.

what a load of cow manure!!!! whoever coded this piece of dung needs to get a university degree!!

If we released crap like jedit in my company - we would be sacked instantly!
jedit is simply crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Submitted by rowck001 on Sunday, 30 July, 2006 - 15:20
download the latest version - and download plugins from within jedit - and the jcompiler and console plugins crash with beanshell errors.

what a load of cow manure!!!! whoever coded this piece of dung needs to get a university degree!!

If we released crap like jedit in my company - we would be sacked instantly!
CharacterMap not working
Submitted by jla on Friday, 28 July, 2006 - 19:22
I've recently installed jedit and the CharacterMap plugin on both Windows XP Home and Suse Linux. Both also have Java 1.5. In both cases the CharacterMap window shows only the Basic Latin block, greyed out, with no other options available. Encoding is set to UTF-8 in both jedit and CharacterMap. All fonts are set to Lucida Sans Unicode in Windows and Georgia in Linux.

Thanks
John
Console Plugin is broken
Submitted by MightyJoe on Monday, 24 July, 2006 - 18:17
I'm trying to install the Console plugin version 4.2.6.4 on JEdit version 4.2 Final.
Using the Plugin Manager, I select the Console plugin, click on Install and I get an I/O error:
"An I/O Error occurred (error in opening zip file)."
I can download the Console zip file directly but it does not appear to contain a .jar file. I'm at a loss as to what to install.
Activepython install strange interaction with JEdit on Windows
Submitted by frisky on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 21:27
windows 2000 and JEdit 4.2 was installed with various plugins for a few weeks. I then downloaded Python specifically the file ActivePython-2.3.5-236-win32-ix86.msi.

Everytime I clicked the Python intall file to start the install JEdit opened. I restarted my PC moved the python file to another location, tried another download of python - everytime JEdit opened instead of the python installer.

Finally I uninstalled JEdit and clicked the python installer and the install began as expected. What could cause this? I'm reinstalling JEdit now and hope there's no strangeness. Thanks
Activepython install strange interaction with JEdit on Windows
Submitted by frisky on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 21:27
windows 2000 and JEdit 4.2 was installed with various plugins for a few weeks. I then downloaded Python specifically the file ActivePython-2.3.5-236-win32-ix86.msi.

Everytime I clicked the Python intall file to start the install JEdit opened. I restarted my PC moved the python file to another location, tried another download of python - everytime JEdit opened instead of the python installer.

Finally I uninstalled JEdit and clicked the python installer and the install began as expected. What could cause this? I'm reinstalling JEdit now and hope there's no strangeness. Thanks
Print crashes jEdit
Submitted by John_R on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 03:44
I have just installed jEdit on a WindowsXp machine. When I attempt to print anything, including a test page with 3 words on it, it hesitates a few moments and then just shuts down (ie - jEdit crashes). I don't see anything in documentation on printing (ie - printer set-up or anything like that)other than a few very basic printer control commands (fonts and stuff like that). The printer is an HP Deskjet 930C with a USB connection.

Any ideas?
Font problems on WinXP
Submitted by dcbeethe on Friday, 21 July, 2006 - 13:39
I seem to be having problems getting jEdit to render fonts properly on a PC (WinXP to be explicit). My preference is the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono fonts which are noted as the top choice elsewhere within this Wiki. On my Linux machine the fonts for jEdit render nice and crisp, but on my PC they are pretty awful -- lots of jaggies, etc. What puzzles me is that the same Bitstream VSM in another app like the venerable old WinEdit looks great. Is there something special you have to do for jEdit on a PC so that the fonts render as clearly as they do in other apps? I live in jEdit on my Linux machine, and would like to be able to do the same on my PC when I have to, but I cannot make jEdit render a font clearly on my PC ...
Font problems on WinXP
Submitted by dcbeethe on Friday, 21 July, 2006 - 13:38
I seem to be having problems getting jEdit to render fonts properly on a PC (WinXP to be explicit). My preference is the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono fonts which are noted as the top choice elsewhere within this Wiki. On my Linux machine the fonts for jEdit render nice and crisp, but on my PC they are pretty awful -- lots of jaggies, etc. What puzzles me is that the same Bitstream VSM in another app like the venerable old WinEdit looks great. Is there something special you have to do for jEdit on a PC so that the fonts render as clearly as they do in other apps? I live in jEdit on my Linux machine, and would like to be able to do the same on my PC when I have to, but I cannot make jEdit render a font clearly on my PC ...
Problem creating/loading Files
Submitted by Prophet on Tuesday, 18 July, 2006 - 01:02
Hi,

i just downloaded jEdit on my Ubuntu and wanted to test it. It seems to be a very powerful editor (looking at the preferences) but when i try to create a new file there commes an error message (i'll post it requested) and if i try to load a file nothing happens. Could you please help my working on these problems? I realy would like to use the editor.

Prophet
Long Time EditPlus user feedback
Submitted by Giesen on Monday, 17 July, 2006 - 05:46
As a long time programmer, a high quality text editor is crucial to what I do. I use heaver IDE's (Visual Studio, Eclipse, NetBeans) for a lot of my work, but for various SQL, scripting languages, and file searching, and text file processing, I use a separate dedicated text editor. I've been a long time user of EditPlus and am just now switching over to jEdit.

Overall, I'm very impressed with jEdit. I thought it would be unlikely to beat EditPlus and this did it. However, I'd like to share my thoughts and suggestions.

Pros:
- Cross Platform: Huge advantage. EditPlus is Windows only. jEdit runs on all Java platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris) so I can easily move between platforms.
- Free: I don't mind sending in a donation for a program I use so much, but it's so nice to not need to worry about licensing every copy I install
- Better Plug-in/Scripting/Macro support. By far. Excellent thus far.
- Awesome syntax highlighting for several languages (Java + SQL)

Cons:
- HyperSearch: I like EditPlus's setup much better. I wish the HyperSearch could be displayed in a pane in the main jEdit window rather than in a separate window. I also wish it displayed results as it found them rather than making you wait until the entire search is complete before showing you anything.
- Search/Replace: Regex support is buggy (didn't have time to boil down to simple cast and post, but I saw definite bugs). No multi-line Regex option. How do I replace \n\n with \n (eliminate blank lines)?
- No built-in sort/dedupe. Didn't see a plugin either. Maybe I missed this? This is crucial for a text editor.
- No "column selection". Did I miss this? Very important feature.
- No ability to set "type" of unsaved buffer. Sometimes I typing SQL into a buffer that I don't want to save, but I want syntax highlighting.
- No keyboard shortcut to enable/disable soft word-wrap. I frequently need to turn this on/off. I hate having to navigate the menus to do this.
- Name. I love Java, but this is product really excels as a general purpose text editor rather than a Java specific tool. Couldn't this use a less Java-centric name? Most .NET coworkers would love this tool but be turned off by the name.
I want to turn off autocomplete in latex
Submitted by ollyshaw on Sunday, 16 July, 2006 - 17:06
Hi,

I have been using Jedit as a latex editor for a while. In the latest upgrade of latex tools there is an autocomplete function. I dont like the way this works, for example when typing \item in a document i get a popup saying "no completion". This blocks the keyboard. How can I turn this feature off?

Many thanks,

Olly
Can not uninstall jedit
Submitted by frisky on Monday, 10 July, 2006 - 14:47
There seems no way to "properly" uninstall.

Win2k
jEdit 4.3pre5
Java Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_07-b03)

Nothing in add/remove
no uninstall files i can find
nothing in start programs

Do I just delete the entire folder?

Thanks for the help.
What's gone wrong with jEdit?
Submitted by tremolo on Friday, 7 July, 2006 - 14:52

I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. After years of being very satisfied with jEdit 4.1 (I once upgraded to 4.2 but went back to 4.1 because it had had various features that I liked removed), my need for support for PHP5 syntax finally prompted me to try upgrading to jEdit 4.3. I'm baffled - it seems to be several steps down from 4.1. 4.1 was great: I'd select a plug-in, download it, and it would just work straight away. However, this time:

1. the XML plugin is behaving extremely erratically. It won't autoclose tags for me, doesn't pop up the autocomplete menu, and it only says anything is allowed at the caret position after I've already placed the opening '<'.
  2. the CodeBrowser plugin identifies classes, functions, etc, but doesn't allow me to jump to them - making it essentially useless.
  3. jEdit doesn't seem to remember all my settings any more: I like to have a search bar at the top of the screen, but I have to open it from the menu every time with 4.3. Likewise, BufferTabs is erratic - sometimes it remembers to open, sometimes it doesn't and I have to open it.
  4. the jEdit Launcher thing is gone. Why? What possible reason could there be for reducing jEdit's functionality like that? I know this went in 4.2 - it was one of the reasons I went back to 4.1 - but I'd hoped that, like the soft-wrap thing, someone would put it back in 4.3. What logic is there to removing features as you go along?

...So now I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. I'm so used to and comfortable with jEdit that the idea of trying to find (and start from scratch with) an alternative is boring beyond belief, but as it stands, no version of jEdit (4.1, 4.2, or 4.3) seems to meet my (surely not particularly avant-garde) needs - ie. editing PHP5 code and HTML. Can anyone help me fix the problems above? Or, better still, does anyone have a PHP5 edit mode for jEdit 4.1?

jEdit 4.3pre5 FTP not working
Submitted by jeremymoritz on Thursday, 6 July, 2006 - 22:34
I just installed 4.3pre5 and then installed FTP plugin from the plugin manager (which required a couple other plugins which i installed as well). I did nothing else before trying to FTP: it didn't work right. Instead of trying to FTP, it would be stuck saying "Loading..." and the progress bar at the bottom of the screen just said "Input/Output Complete". It didn't appear to even attempt anything else. I checked with another coder friend of mine and he had the same problem.

NOTE: SFTP appears to work perfectly.

Please help!

Thanks!
Jeremy
User login
Browse archives
« May 2024  
MoTuWeThFrSaSu

Poll
Are you interested in language packs for jEdit?
Yes, and I could help maintain translations
26%
Yes, I'd like to have translations
32%
Indifferent
35%
No, that'd be bad (please comment)
7%
Total votes: 1093
Syndication
file   ver   dls
German Localization light   4.4.2.1   83281